Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 02:44 PM

60 posts, read 56,256 times

Advertisements

How can our coal mining communities use these funds to reinvent themselves

https://www.thecheyennepost.com/news...3b1ced09f.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 06:38 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Won't work or ever happen. This is the same "we'll ruin your economy and give you a pittance" stuff that was done when the PNW forests were closed to logging in the 80's and 90's. Never works, and you end up with a lot of dead and dying towns. Just gives some local politicians some excuses to say 'hey look what we did for you.. it's not so bad', and provides programs to keep people hanging on in an area that is no longer economically viable and ruined by gov't forced policies.

Similarly, the War on Poverty by LBJ and similar funds for southern WV in the 60's provided by Kennedy did no good. I can take you TODAY to a county in southern WV that was the prime focus of those programs in the 60's. Once we get into the heart of that area, the women will cry and the men will be appalled into silence. It's 3rd world level of poverty.

The only thing that will do any good in such areas long term is private sector employment. Just giving people money to buy pizza is not investment. This is who it is going to: "Economic Development Districts, Native tribes, local governments, institutions of higher education and nonprofits. Individuals and for-profit groups are not eligible for program support." FOR-PROFIT GROUPS ARE THE ONLY CREATORS OF ANY NUMBERS LONG TERM JOBS, AND THEY ARE SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED. THIS IS THE USUAL 100% RUBBISH.... GOV'T WELFARE.

Sorry to be so adamant about this, but I have lived most of my life in the southern Appalachians, and have seen this fail first-hand over and over for decades in WV, SW VA, and eastern and central KY. It's really just disguised vote-buying and it takes at least a generation of children to grow up in this, questioning why things never get better, before they see things for what they are.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:58 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Won't work or ever happen. This is the same "we'll ruin your economy and give you a pittance" stuff that was done when the PNW forests were closed to logging in the 80's and 90's. Never works, and you end up with a lot of dead and dying towns. Just gives some local politicians some excuses to say 'hey look what we did for you.. it's not so bad', and provides programs to keep people hanging on in an area that is no longer economically viable and ruined by gov't forced policies.

Similarly, the War on Poverty by LBJ and similar funds for southern WV in the 60's provided by Kennedy did no good. I can take you TODAY to a county in southern WV that was the prime focus of those programs in the 60's. Once we get into the heart of that area, the women will cry and the men will be appalled into silence. It's 3rd world level of poverty.

The only thing that will do any good in such areas long term is private sector employment. Just giving people money to buy pizza is not investment. This is who it is going to: "Economic Development Districts, Native tribes, local governments, institutions of higher education and nonprofits. Individuals and for-profit groups are not eligible for program support." FOR-PROFIT GROUPS ARE THE ONLY CREATORS OF ANY NUMBERS LONG TERM JOBS, AND THEY ARE SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED. THIS IS THE USUAL 100% RUBBISH.... GOV'T WELFARE.

Sorry to be so adamant about this, but I have lived most of my life in the southern Appalachians, and have seen this fail first-hand over and over for decades in WV, SW VA, and eastern and central KY. It's really just disguised vote-buying and it takes at least a generation of children to grow up in this, questioning why things never get better, before they see things for what they are.
I have a business degree with a minor in Econ and agree with you. Bill Clinton created four million jobs... in the Peace Corps.. There is a huge difference in the way money multiplies in the economy when people work in the private sector vs simply giving money to poor, uneducated people, who will buy malt liquor and crack.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:07 AM

180 posts, read 214,989 times
Quote:

My dad was laid off as a coal miner in the early 90s in SE Ohio as part of the clean air act work that went through.

Though my recollection of what happened, and my young age at the time, is a bit fuzzy, he didn't get to utilize the education benefits and proceeded to bounce around a bunch of menial labor and minimum wage jobs until he retired for SS in his early 60s. He was unemployed for a long time as well. Mom ended up working two jobs (full time teacher, part time McDonalds), and still does to this day, to supplement the family income to keep them afloat.

He's 100% right. The only way to keep these energy-built towns alive is bringing in jobs. Else, those that can just end up leaving and those that can't... can't.

Problem is that most corporations that might bring in jobs would look at the prospects for the areas and say they have no potential for profit as they're a dying community. And they're not wrong - but when you already make little money, it's not easy to pick everything up and move along. Especially if the skills you've acquired over the years are being phased out by environmentalists and the Gov't.

A better way to help communities transition is what's needed - not stimulus or bailouts. Those are temporary. Jobs and investment are what they need.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:47 AM

51 posts, read 66,338 times
Too little and way too late.

I worked as a contractor in the Powder river Basin in the mid-70's and did some work in the Hanna Basin as it was headed toward the bust in the mid-80's. In the PRB, the initial story was that estimates showed there would be enough coal for 30 years, (good jobs, good pay, good benefits) it actually lasted longer but by the time the coal economy took a downturn, Campbell county had been behaving like coal would last forever. Miners that were retiring were being replaced by their children, who thought they would be able to retire from the same industry. Service companies employed more people than the mines did. Economic studies and alternate plans should have began 20 years ago.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:01 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
In the 70s There was a large stud mill built in SV. It brought lot of California loggers to the area and at first few transits. Local farmers bought semi and hauled logs around milking , feeding and farming. Then the mill closed , there was a few little mills but they didn't need any more labor or logs. Some went to the coal mines in Kemmerer or the Phosphate mines in Soda Springs. Then Simplot open the Smokey mountain Phosphate mine just across the border up Tygee. That been running for over 30 years now. Probally the biggest employer in Star Valley fallowed by Government and schools. Then Power and light. Hospital. Then people that work in Jackson Hole. Then the litte industry left, Freedom Arms , Arviat, PC industries. Then commercial stores , and services.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:20 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
Quote:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to nm9stheham again.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:52 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:

Agree with all of this.

One other thing - OP asked how coal mining communities can use these funds to reinvent themselves. Those funds don't actually exist. The feds printed that money based on nothing, out of thin air. We used to wring our hands that we were burying ourselves so deeply in debt and leaving the bill for our children and grandchildren to pay. THEIR grandchildren STILL won't be able to pay it all off. What is this country DOING to itself?

Old 08-02-2021, 10:19 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Agree with all of this.

One other thing - OP asked how coal mining communities can use these funds to reinvent themselves. Those funds don't actually exist. The feds printed that money based on nothing, out of thin air. We used to wring our hands that we were burying ourselves so deeply in debt and leaving the bill for our children and grandchildren to pay. THEIR grandchildren STILL won't be able to pay it all off. What is this country DOING to itself?
they throw more money into the economy now to chase less amount of goods... thus inflation.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:13 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
Building luxury real estate seems to be the up and coming industry in Wyoming.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/10/96533...m-fossil-fuels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming