Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 6,763 times

Advertisements

Hi there, were thinking of moving to kemmerer and both my daughter and I are sensitive , we have allergies and I have asthma. I heard about the coal plant, does this affect the air quality? Anyone there with breathing problems? I just talked to someone at one of the clinics and she said there's no problems there and air quality is good. Is this true? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 06:51 PM

3,640 posts, read 6,244,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldi88 View Post
Hi there, were thinking of moving to kemmerer and both my daughter and I are sensitive , we have allergies and I have asthma. I heard about the coal plant, does this affect the air quality? Anyone there with breathing problems? I just talked to someone at one of the clinics and she said there's no problems there and air quality is good. Is this true? Thanks
Kemmerer is in the middle of a sage brush sea.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:36 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,673,330 times
Default Air quality for sensitives and Asthmatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldi88 View Post

Where are you located now? It's not apparent from your post. I'm asking because if you are already in Wyoming, you are surely aware of the poor air quality that has been problematic in the state for much of the summer.
The link below explains that but a search for "Wyoming air quality" or however you want to phrase it will reveal that this was also a problem last year in the summer and in some prior summers as well.

The bottom line is that as the West dries out more severely year after year with the deepening drought, whatever the causes may be, the result is that the amount of acreage burned each year & the damage totals escalate each year. Correspondingly the toll taken on air quality is deepening throughout much of the West. But folks, the fire smoke is spreading far beyond just the West.
A friend in Iowa texted me today about her "horrible" air quality found there and my brother in Wisconsin has been writing me about the same thing there.
And down here in Georgia where I live, we are getting hazy skies courtesy of what's burning thousands of miles away from us out West!

Sadly this is probably the new "normal" going forward so welcome to a situation of quality of life deterioration.

If you are sensitive to such issues Goldi88, I'd be very careful as to where you choose to relocate to.
The best of luck to you!

https://oilcity.news/wyoming/wildfir...ildfire-smoke/

Last edited by atler8; 07-30-2021 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: restructured a sentence

Old 07-31-2021, 08:50 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,454,368 times
It may be the new normal or it may not. We don't know. The dust bowl of the central plains in the 1930's was the result of an extended time of high temperatures and low rain in the central plains, that lasted for almost a decade. Eventually, it went away, temps cooled in the region and the rains came back. Many temp records across the whole US were set in the 1930's and again in the 1960's and into the 1970's. Those were just 2 periods of higher temps in the US... you can be sure there have been plenty. So any idea that this is a new normal in the west is just guessing.

I can recall in the late 1950's looking a small mountain 1.5 miles from my home in VA, and hardly being able to see it. So hazy days are nothing new, nor is smoke from western fires going far to the east.

The only thing I can add for the OP is that the coal plant is about 8-10 miles SW of Kemmerer, and the smokestacks are about 400-500' high, so the emissions tend to be put up high in the air. The wildlfire smoke IS a real issue out west in July-August and sometimes later in each year.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:08 AM

3,640 posts, read 6,244,864 times
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f0&oe=61293F3E

Old 07-31-2021, 12:07 PM

Go back 50-60 million years in the geologic record and the CO2 content was around 6 times what it is now and average earth temps were 25 F hotter... but it was hotter still 250-500 million years ago, at times peaking 30F hotter on average. And there has been more time with NO ice caps on the earth than with any ice caps.

At least that is what is being interpreted from the geologic records as of these days. With the continental shifts/drifts, interpreting the temp records at any geographic point has the variable of position relative to the equator to complicate the interpretation. All this interpretation will likely change as time goes by....

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...rths-ever-been

Just always remember whne trying to figure out all this falderal... It's not about the climate.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:43 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,673,330 times
Default Air quality..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Go back 50-60 million years in the geologic record and the CO2 content was around 6 times what it is now and average earth temps were 25 F hotter... but it was hotter still 250-500 million years ago, at times peaking 30F hotter on average. And there has been more time with NO ice caps on the earth than with any ice caps.

At least that is what is being interpreted from the geologic records as of these days. With the continental shifts/drifts, interpreting the temp records at any geographic point has the variable of position relative to the equator to complicate the interpretation. All this interpretation will likely change as time goes by....

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...rths-ever-been

Just always remember whne trying to figure out all this falderal... It's not about the climate.
I appreciate your input. it is helpful.
As a student of history I know full well about the horrible dust bowl period that only served to heighten misery in America during the Great Depression.
Congress went into action to pass legislation to try to impact and lessen the dust disaster only after prevailing winds brought the great clouds of dust east to Washington, D.C. and obscured the skies. At that point, Congress saw first hand what was afoot and jumped into action.

A thing to keep in mind is that if we see warming that is significant (remember, even just a slight temp variation one way or the other in the past Earth history has been enough to set off an ice age or bring about a hot era) the situation as we have known it in the era of man will be altered and also affect flora & fauna.
Any such instability has the potential to bring about mass casualty events for the flora and fauna and thus put our lives at risk. As for example when only a few centuries ago what were called mini-ice ages occurred that affected Europe, they brought about crop failures there the and dislocation of peoples.

As for the op, it's been spelled out for you that Wyoming is again suffering from poor air quality this summer that is the result of western forest fires. Yes, a power plant's emissions can be of concern as you asked about but all told there is more to the concern for air quality that is present now.

Given what brought you to create a thread of inquiry here, my words of advice remain the same as in my previous post which amounts to a "look before you leap" line of consideration.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 AM

Overall the AQI in Kemmerer is well above the US average, for what that is worth. This shows up in several measures of AQI. (Except for one, and I cannot figure out it's basis for measurement of AQI.)

Old 08-06-2021, 07:16 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,380,110 times
Go as high as you can stand it. Once spent a winter in South Pass - great clean air

Old 08-06-2021, 08:38 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,068,980 times
Another consideration OP is the elevation. Kemmerer is at almost 7,000 feet. Will the thin air effect your asthma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: