Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,016 times

Advertisements

I think it is sad personally...

It will be 35 acre tracts and larger... and the covenants are really strict...

You can't shoot on your own land, you can't burn trash, if a vehicle doesn't run it has to be put in a building... you are told how many animals you can have total, you can't build a home smaller than 1600 sq feet and if it is 2 story 1800 sq feet and the list goes on... Very strict rules...

Why on earth would someone buy a piece of land they can do hardly anything on... truly a sad thing..

The ranch was for sale for a while and never sold, so some developer is in the process of buying it and if the sale goes through it will continue to proceed with the subdivision...

Has anyone else heard about this? Just was curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:40 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,520 times
A friend owns a home in a planned community in Washington state. She has a list of rules of things that can or can not be done. When she was buying several years ago she got more land on either side of the house she wanted. A few years ago she wanted to build a little house next to hers for a family member and she wasn't allowed to build the little house because it was too small! It was her land but their rules - RULED!!

I can't imagine why someone would want to live like that either. I guess I would get in trouble for burning my paper trash in my outdoor burner. I enjoy gathering the little limbs knocked down from my big trees, my paper boxes, and discard paper stuff and having a little fire in the evening at sunset.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:47 AM

430 posts, read 1,622,692 times
Those types of covenants & rules are getting WAYYY too normal. Many tell you what color schemes you can have, what sorts of landscaping you can plant, etc. etc. And they FORCE you to join the homeowner's assn which of course costs dues (that often are far from inexpensive). More & more freedoms being yanked. I am quite sure Copperleaf dessimating the Wapiti valley right now has very similar covenants & restrictions. What is going to be too funny to me (OK...I may be ornery) is that the "gated community" in grizzly AND wolf country will have "walkways" through the community for the wild animals to wander thru to get past them. PAST THEM??? Can you IMAGINE how many animals (pets) will be killed before ppl learn that they mean biz when they say you CANNOT feed your pets outside??? Or that you have to keep your grill in a heavy duty shed or garage to keep it from being destroyed because it has attracted the wildlife? They are NOT going to just wander thru w/o eating the landscaping, etc. like it's a freakin' sidewalk through their winter grounds. I laughed my backside off when I found out about that last week!!!!! Ahhh for the brains of a Florida developer....here in TOWN we get grizzlies on our decks, tearing into sheds, into garages, etc. - esp. when it is a particularly dry year & the white pine nuts are not adequate for the Grizzlies to get their necessary fat content. I remember summer of 1994 - they were coming right into town & ripping tops off of freezers in garages, tearing into back doors & thru sliding doors, etc. They were in survival mode for sure! So...God be with the ppl who build in more DANGEROUS wildlife habitat!! I'm REALLY sorry to hear about Soldier Creek....is sinful.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMama View Post
Those types of covenants & rules are getting WAYYY too normal. Many tell you what color schemes you can have, what sorts of landscaping you can plant, etc. etc. And they FORCE you to join the homeowner's assn which of course costs dues (that often are far from inexpensive). More & more freedoms being yanked. I am quite sure Copperleaf dessimating the Wapiti valley right now has very similar covenants & restrictions. What is going to be too funny to me (OK...I may be ornery) is that the "gated community" in grizzly AND wolf country will have "walkways" through the community for the wild animals to wander thru to get past them. PAST THEM??? Can you IMAGINE how many animals (pets) will be killed before ppl learn that they mean biz when they say you CANNOT feed your pets outside??? Or that you have to keep your grill in a heavy duty shed or garage to keep it from being destroyed because it has attracted the wildlife? They are NOT going to just wander thru w/o eating the landscaping, etc. like it's a freakin' sidewalk through their winter grounds. I laughed my backside off when I found out about that last week!!!!! Ahhh for the brains of a Florida developer....here in TOWN we get grizzlies on our decks, tearing into sheds, into garages, etc. - esp. when it is a particularly dry year & the white pine nuts are not adequate for the Grizzlies to get their necessary fat content. I remember summer of 1994 - they were coming right into town & ripping tops off of freezers in garages, tearing into back doors & thru sliding doors, etc. They were in survival mode for sure! So...God be with the ppl who build in more DANGEROUS wildlife habitat!! I'm REALLY sorry to hear about Soldier Creek....is sinful.
All that you mentioned is also one of the rules! I can't believe a person is told what color to choose how to landscape your yard. Boy if you don't have a garage and your vehicle breaks down, you will be in big trouble too... you can't have an RV camper on your property with people in it for more that 14 days two times a year. and the list goes on..

That is hilarious about the walk way for wild animals! not really... but the thought process of these people are just crazy I agree! The sad thing is either someone is going to get hurt or many pets will die for people to learn their lesson.
I remember when we visited Cody, and stopped to find out some info. This guy who owned a dinning establishment and motel, had a big old shotgun sitting on the front counter as well as a rifle. Of course my husband spent thirty minutes in there lol cause he loves to talk about guns and they got to talking and the young guy at the desk was telling my husband how his friend was attacked just recently by a grizz, and how they lost a pack mule and that was with 40 cal pistol and a Marlin I think... maybe it was something else.. anyways, they are so fast you don't always even have enough time to defend yourself... and those city slickers moving in are going to be in for a real surprise...

I remember watching on national news about in Lake Tahoe how bears were breaking into all the homes there just busting through doors ripping everything to shreds...

The sad thing is the bears and other wild animals will learn to depend on that neighborhood for an easy food source which can turn into a big problem... I think it will be a similar scenario in this "subdivisions" here also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
A friend owns a home in a planned community in Washington state. She has a list of rules of things that can or can not be done. When she was buying several years ago she got more land on either side of the house she wanted. A few years ago she wanted to build a little house next to hers for a family member and she wasn't allowed to build the little house because it was too small! It was her land but their rules - RULED!!

I can't imagine why someone would want to live like that either. I guess I would get in trouble for burning my paper trash in my outdoor burner. I enjoy gathering the little limbs knocked down from my big trees, my paper boxes, and discard paper stuff and having a little fire in the evening at sunset.

That is crazy, she couldn't build that other house! We burn our paper trash also... and if something is after our cats like a racoon or if there is an animal carrying rabies and is aggresive, I guess these people will be up the creek. We have already had to shoot several of them living out here on Soldier creek. A raccoon was after our cats just the other night... and the fish and game guy my husband knows said more that 50% of the skunks carry rabies I think... I think they can carry it and not necessarily come down with it? I could be wrong...
To me home associations and all these rules are just not practical in Wyoming....

Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,223 times
I agree...the C&R's are not practical in Wyoming. Our home in Alaska has them and we have to belong to a HOA - but the dues are $70/year, which isn't as bad as I had originally thought. They are fairly decent about their C&R's - more to keep the area aesthetically pleasing than to have one home in the area with a junkyard as its landscape. I can understand some of the rules, but it all makes me bristle a bit. I do not like others telling me how I am to live on my own property.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,520 times
HOA's are fairly common and it is to keep the neighborhoods at a certain standard. It would be very hard to have a set of rules that pleased everyone all the time.

I thought about Rawlins with the deer walking around and laying in the yard. I'm not crazy about their droppings but I sure don't want to see them killed! Then there was the "problem" of RV's parked in front of houses - I think someone was living in one. Ya just can't please everyone!!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,639 times
i can see a point to some of these rules where people live close together but on 35 acre and larger lots theyre pretty funny

Old 05-14-2008, 10:27 PM

430 posts, read 1,622,692 times
There is a real rabid skunk prob in most parts of Wyo. One thing you can pretty much count on (per G&F & old farmers) if you see a skunk roaming in the daytime is about 99% chance is rabid as they are very nocturnal. And yes - coons will take your small animals out pretty easy. We can't shoot in town of course (well....not and get caught...LOL!!!) but I just laugh & then feel bad for the ppl who really think the animals are going to take the "walkway" thru the gated community w/o a glance either direction. What will happen is the animals (esp the bears) will become humanized & once that happens they will move them ONCE & then they are destroyed. And is not their fault. Is instinct to find food as easy as possible. Very sad - they'll have the rules given to them but they will not think of some of the most obvious things like the grills. And yes, it is TRULY amazing how many ppl visit Y'stone & think they can outrun moose (with their 6' legs), bears & bison. They really believe in many cases (I'd hear it at the hosp all the time form patients who would be injured) that we "wouldn't have animals that would HURT you at a park"!!! That is really a general conception among many ppl!!! And some of the great questions - how old are the deer when they become elk? My personal fav. Wonder how many of these ppl were supporting the wolf reintroduction!! LOL!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,728 times
I can see covenants and restrictions to keep the area looking respectable. It is often used in my area, near Sioux Falls, for in town and rural subdivisions and housing to limit the possiblity of having a shanty with tall weeds and junked out cars on blocks in the front yard and not having those types of properties next to well-maintained properties to maintain property value. The zoning in my area has become tougher and for good reason. The problem in my area is that the area is flat and the drainage is not the best and there are septic tank problems in some rural developments during a wet year.

There are times where HOAs go too far. I have heard from relatives in Colorado and others that there are some that are very picky on the type of shingles, siding, and how many cars are parked in the driveway. There has to be some balance to have zoning to keep the area looking respectable, but not going too far where it restricts the rights and choices of others. The covenants and regulations should be common sense and call for respect of the area in general but allow some flexiblity to allow variety (and avoid the development having the same 400 homes that have no variety whatsoever in building designs, roofing, colors, etc.).

Old 05-18-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
There are times where HOAs go too far. I have heard from relatives in Colorado and others that there are some that are very picky on the type of shingles, siding, and how many cars are parked in the driveway. There has to be some balance to have zoning to keep the area looking respectable, but not going too far where it restricts the rights and choices of others. The covenants and regulations should be common sense and call for respect of the area in general but allow some flexiblity to allow variety (and avoid the development having the same 400 homes that have no variety whatsoever in building designs, roofing, colors, etc.).
Basically the last part of your post is describing the Soldier Creek Ranches rules. They dictate the shingles, siding, color of houses everything...

With wolves now roaming further out into Wyoming now, being that they have been sighted all the way down to Kemmerer and Cheyenne even. I think people should have to right to defend themselves with a firearm. If I see a skunk in the day time I am going to shoot it rather than risk my 3 year old getting rabies and going through the awful aftermath of shots...

I am all for no covenants. I think if someone buys a piece of land they are free and have the right to choose what they want to do with it...
But I can see the "common sense" of some of the rules. Preventing properties looking like junkyards or having poor septics ect.

But I for one have vehicles break down sometimes, and sometimes we have to save for a few months if it is a major job in order to afford to pay for it. If we lived in the Soldier Creek Ranches, we would have to get the vehicle off the property till it runs. And then we have 3 vehicles, one is a classic truck my husband has been restoring for years, brand new engine in it, just needs a few more parts and hoses in the engine and will run, but that is money and time and our main vehicles come first, I would also have to move it or put it in a building, and if I can't afford to build a garage then I would be up the creek.
Those are just examples of scenarios if my family lived there.. and my husband makes a pretty decent wage, but we are not rich either and not everyone is.

anyways, that is just my 2 cents. In my experience in Oregon with zoning and regulation (one of the worst states in the nation for regulation). When you give the local government an inch, they take a mile. Never can be trusted. I think things would be better left up to the people in the community rather than a planning commission ect.

Before my inlaws gave up from being pushed around and put their acreage on the market in the foothills of the cascade mountain range in Oregon, they paid $12,000+ just to get permission to build on their own property in Oregon because of zoning regulation! This is lawyers fees, hearing fees, and other misc. fee for application approval ect. That is how destructive the planning has become there, and I hope it never gets that way out here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming