Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,755 times

Advertisements

New poster here and I know this topic has been beaten to death, but please understand everyones different circumstances.

I have a wife and two little girls 5 and 6. I recently retired from the AF after 20 years and am still 38 years young. I am originally from SE Louisiana, got stationed in CA, WA then finally Biloxi, MS near my hometown. I have been back in Louisiana for the past 3 years. My original plan was to settle down here with my family and grow roots, but to be honest this is not the same south I grew up in. Recently the crime, crappy attitudes and trash is creeping up from New Orleans and it doesn't seem like the right atmosphere to raise my girls in.

I traveled a lot with the military so I've seen some beautiful places. I have had multiple trips to WY and Montana and fell in love instantly, so I told myself I would make it back somehow after I retire. So here I am. Our top picks were WY and ND, but I keep coming back to WY.

My financial situation is fine, VA % and Mil retirement, and I currently work at a Brewery in MS as a Production Manager. I plan on getting a side job when we move, Brewery, local truck driving, manufacturing etc. I do have a degree with 20 years experience military.

We have been looking at Sheridan, Buffalo to name a couple and want to see from actual folks who live around these areas how they fair for a young family like mine. Or any other suggestions would be great. We are fine with the cold weather, as we lived outside Spokane for awhile and are currently sick of the oppressive heat and humidity of the deep south.

If y'all are ok with a red blooded American southerner with a young family then I'd love to call WY home. I'm leaning towards Sheridan but any town suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 09:00 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,843,423 times
If you haven't already found out, 3 breweries in Sheridan:

Sheridan Breweries — Wyoming Beer Trail

Other cities via the menu button at top right of that page.

If you don't find the right housing in Sheridan or prefer more laidback environment, you might also look in Ranchester / Dayton.

Buffalo is well regarded too.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-28-2022 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-28-2022, 11:29 PM

561 posts, read 442,249 times
I recommend Buffalo and Sheridan. You picked a good area! This area is 3rd on our list of relocation destinations when we leave Texas.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:47 AM

Great. I’ll check those out as well.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:24 AM

404 posts, read 459,550 times
Local breweries in Alpine and Pinedale, also. And Jackson.

Spokane winters are much milder than my part of the state (far western small valley). It’s been 20 below zero last couple of mornings. Yesterday’s high temperature at our place was 5 above. It’s not always that cold, but it happens. And it can get colder. We get a lot of snow here as well. Total snowfall is better measured in feet, not inches, by the time spring arrives.

Summers are spectacular. But no place is perfect. It's not for everybody.

We moved out of Jackson when our kids were in 4th and 6th grade. Daughter faced some unnecessary girl drama at first, but she’s fine now. It happens. Son had no issues. No regrets about being here.

Congratulations on your retirement.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
Local breweries in Alpine and Pinedale, also. And Jackson.

Spokane winters are much milder than my part of the state (far western small valley). It’s been 20 below zero last couple of mornings. Yesterday’s high temperature at our place was 5 above. It’s not always that cold, but it happens. And it can get colder. We get a lot of snow here as well. Total snowfall is better measured in feet, not inches, by the time spring arrives.

Summers are spectacular. But no place is perfect. It's not for everybody.

We moved out of Jackson when our kids were in 4th and 6th grade. Daughter faced some unnecessary girl drama at first, but she’s fine now. It happens. Son had no issues. No regrets about being here.

Congratulations on your retirement.

Appreciate the advice Gosh. You live in Jackson still? Jackson Hole right? Yea definantly have to get accustomed to the below freezing temps.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:59 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,083,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadchris83 View Post
New poster here and I know this topic has been beaten to death, but please understand everyones different circumstances.

I have a wife and two little girls 5 and 6. I recently retired from the AF after 20 years and am still 38 years young. I am originally from SE Louisiana, got stationed in CA, WA then finally Biloxi, MS near my hometown. I have been back in Louisiana for the past 3 years. My original plan was to settle down here with my family and grow roots, but to be honest this is not the same south I grew up in. Recently the crime, crappy attitudes and trash is creeping up from New Orleans and it doesn't seem like the right atmosphere to raise my girls in.

I traveled a lot with the military so I've seen some beautiful places. I have had multiple trips to WY and Montana and fell in love instantly, so I told myself I would make it back somehow after I retire. So here I am. Our top picks were WY and ND, but I keep coming back to WY.

My financial situation is fine, VA % and Mil retirement, and I currently work at a Brewery in MS as a Production Manager. I plan on getting a side job when we move, Brewery, local truck driving, manufacturing etc. I do have a degree with 20 years experience military.

We have been looking at Sheridan, Buffalo to name a couple and want to see from actual folks who live around these areas how they fair for a young family like mine. Or any other suggestions would be great. We are fine with the cold weather, as we lived outside Spokane for awhile and are currently sick of the oppressive heat and humidity of the deep south.

If y'all are ok with a red blooded American southerner with a young family then I'd love to call WY home. I'm leaning towards Sheridan but any town suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Christian
Take a look at Cody (or Park County region as a whole in NW of the state). My husband (TN boy) is ex-military and retired LEO. There's a high percentage of former military, former law enforcement and even current contractors in this area. 50 miles from the East Gate of Yellowstone, excellent schools, excellent hospital, world class museum, excellent indoor recreation (rec center, pool, arena), excellent outdoor recreation (hunting, fishing, camping, access to two downhill ski areas etc.), excellent public library. Great resources that you would not normally find in a town of 10,000.

Housing is expensive here - we couldn't afford to buy anything now and are incredibly grateful that we got in while we did, but check it out if interested and see what you think. Powell is another option (30 miles from Cody) with slightly cheaper real estate. Rentals are extremely difficult to find and are overpriced.

I'll leave it at that, but touch base after you do some research if you want to know more. Good luck to you, and thank you for your service.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:03 PM

404 posts, read 459,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadchris83 View Post
Appreciate the advice Gosh. You live in Jackson still? Jackson Hole right? Yea definantly have to get accustomed to the below freezing temps.
No. We left Jackson and now live in Star Valley. A great decision for us. No regrets. I hate what Jackson has become. I dislike merely driving through town anymore.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:45 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,410,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Housing is expensive here - we couldn't afford to buy anything now and are incredibly grateful that we got in while we did, but check it out if interested and see what you think. Powell is another option (30 miles from Cody) with slightly cheaper real estate. Rentals are extremely difficult to find and are overpriced.
It has been that way in Cody and Powell for a very long time. It was too expensive for my family of five back in 1970, that I finally found one in Meeteetse, biut it didn't last long. Had to finally move to Riverton to be closer to my work adding two more children along the way. I much preferred Riverton to Cody & Powell. Didn't need to drive to Billings for better medical care.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:34 AM

561 posts, read 442,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
It has been that way in Cody and Powell for a very long time. It was too expensive for my family of five back in 1970, that I finally found one in Meeteetse, biut it didn't last long. Had to finally move to Riverton to be closer to my work adding two more children along the way. I much preferred Riverton to Cody & Powell. Didn't need to drive to Billings for better medical care.
How long would you say its been that way? Before 1970?

We briefly looked at Powell, the prices are definitely high but not as high as places like Bozeman/Missoula and Coeur d'Alene these days. Cody was about as high as those aforementioned cities last time I poked around. Still having said that I would rather pay the premium to live outside of any of those areas then be stuck in the sweaty armpit southern part of the country or *shudders* the east coast. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming