Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:22 AM

56 posts, read 157,719 times

Advertisements

And I've lived in over 17 states so I think I can compare.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:57 PM

215 posts, read 667,945 times
Dictionary

Ok as a Wyoming native I have to respond to this post and I don't mean to do it in a mean sense but in the sense that not all Wyoming people at like that.

Find the idea of spitting anywhere disgusting--raised my two boys to clean up for meals and never wear their caps at a table or inside for that matter --do not watch and never will Nascar-- don't ever wear hats or cowboy boots unless I am on a horse, have never hunted in my life, not against it just not for me, do not drink beer, in fact do not drink, prime rib taste like boiled meat to me, Will try to do my shopping anywhere but Wal-Mart and think Larry the Cable guy is disgusting and his saying is also.

I am glad that you realize that Wyoming is not really you but are trying to make the best of what you have. Something Wyo2008 is not I am afraid.

Last edited by jkb826; 06-10-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: too long

Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 AM

430 posts, read 1,623,163 times
"Masochistic attitude towards wives, employees..."???? What are you referring to as masochistic?

I grew up very properly back east (and I have lived in about 9-10 states from Atlantic coast to Cody & been to nearly every in union & 4 countries. I have stayed in 5-star resorts & HATED IT because I am NOT better than the underpaid maids turning down my bed. I do NOT like being waited on & treated like a queen because I'm not. If my kid spit in garbage or anywhere that I saw him I would kick him to the dirt. And if he spit because he was chewing he'd be swallowing a lot of it until he was bringing it ALL back up. I LOVE beef, hunting, game meat, and all the winter sports from snowmobiling & skiing to camping in it. However, I am no longer able physically to hunt & I HATE that - or ski or other things that I can get myself in trouble (too many knee surgeries - 15).

I grew up with the manners of no elbows on tables, take caps/hats off (and I DEFINITELY agree with that - that irks me still today) and my sons ALWAYS take their hats off in the house - even my youngest who is severely retarded at 22. But this is Wyo - one of the things we love about Wyo here is our freedom to be ourselves & not have ppl looking over our shoulders gawking or trash-talking behind our backs. Ppl have their own priorities and I respect that. If it isn't hurting others, is OK by me. There are a lot of things more important than Emily Post.

That is my response to that "dictionary". I am sorry you ALSO are stuck somewhere you apparently think is barbaric or socially & culturally retarded or disgusting. But I am here by choice & THEN married a native. But he can take his "Code of the West" & fly it on a flag pole. I will not be beaten down or told what I can or cannot say, do, or whatever by him or anybody else. I am 51 years old & I have lived enough chapters of my life to make my own decisions. PERIOD. Now my kids are all grown & know better than to "spit", wear their hats inside, etc. etc. They were raised to be gentlemen - opening doors for women, carrying things, etc. etc. Wyo'ites are not white trash by nature any more than any other state, thank SO very much. I am so happy for you that you have had the opportunity to live in 17 states. Compare away - Wyo is Wyo - not any of the other 49. THAT is what makes it so special.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 21,453 times
Thumbs up Wyoming = WOW!!!

I am quite surprised that so many people have lived in so many states and are so well educated and yet have such a long list of things you have never seen or dealt with before living in Wyoming. If these areas in Wyoming are as described (as I believe they were) I am truly pleased some individuals make it clear that it is not a problem with Wyoming, but their own personal issues with some folks/cultures. I do most appreciate their being straight forward and honest. You cannot have a true forum/discussion without having different opinions and views. I hope it never changes.
I have to admit that I have lived in areas in California, Oregon, Texas, Washington DC, New York, and Germany that would probably be much more dignified (snobbish, higher educated, high dollar valued, etc.), but I also must remind folks of the crime rate, cost of living, cost of education, or lack of good public education, population density and traffic in those and their surrounding areas.
In all honesty, I am still not sure what this disgruntled group expected when relocating to Wyoming. Wyoming does not have a reputation for big cities, large art museums, huge colleges, or live theatre. I have heard about high winds, dust, cold winters, rodeos, liquor, cowboy hats, horses and cattle. (I personally do not spit, drink, smoke, due drugs, ride broncos, or watch Nascar)
Now, I am positive that I am not nearly as well educated as they are. I am also quite sure that I am not as intelligent either. Nonetheless, as a moderately erudite and somewhat bright person I have come to realize that there is a ton of information about nearly anything, available to anyone that would like to learn. So, I researched numerous state and other public web sites,I have done a lot of reading, and I did a lot of “plain old” asking questions; before even considering my move to anywhere. AND I STILL HAVE NOT EVEN SET ANYTHING IN STONE. I am actually still seriously looking at a few other areas. My kids and I are going to visit several states over the next few weeks. I am really looking forward to it. (Yeah right. Me and three little kids in a small car for a couple weeks)

Thanks to everyone (positive and negative). Keep the information coming

Old 06-11-2008, 12:01 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Askmac2003, you are asking a question I have to ask too - what were ppl expecting when moving here???? I moved here BECAUSE of the less snobby, uptight, be yourself, etc. etc. lifestyle. Ugh!!!! And Nascar??? Is something to watch to take nap watching those cars go in circles. I don't know many ppl who watch it on ANY regular basis, most not at all. And I am not sure in Wyo I have EVER heard anybody say "git 'er done". Most whom I know can't stand Larry the Cable Guy but I personally think some of his stuff is HYSTERICAL. But I gen'ly don't use catch phrases like that anyway. Wyo is it's own world & there are some cultural things in Casper & even Cody has the late & great Buff Bill Historical Center which is 5 museums - like a "museum mall". But we are isolated. Closest city of ANY size is 110 miles away in Billings, MT which does bring in some great shows such as Riverdance, Lord of the Dance (which I went to), and other higher end shows. Heck! Lily Tomlin will be there shortly. LOL!!! How high end can you get?

Wyo is what it is and it is windy, dusty, rough, unforgiving landscape if you don't plan ahead, doesn't have straight thru roads / hwy's to a lot of places - a lot of "you can't get there from here" places (w/o a lot of back-tracking), and these are the reasons I love it. Ppl are ppl - some "cowboys" putting on airs or shows or whatever (wannabes) but otherwise mostly ppl are just who they are and are accepted as such for the most part by most ppl. There are those - and Cody has our fair share of the ultra-rich, but it isn't the REAL ultra-rich who have attitude - is the kinda-rich but in debt up to their ear ball "wannabes" who are difficult to deal with & pass judgment.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 PM

269 posts, read 829,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
Well, I think some postings on both sides were a bit harsh. I have to say I DO agree with Wyo2008 on some points. A lot of it is that Wyoming is SO different to many people. I profess that the way I was raised I find many Wyoming cultural things to be "rough around the edges" whether that be due to natives or the boom I don't know.

1. I have never lived somewhere where they had to post at the gym, "no spitting in the garbage cans."
2. I have never lived somewhere where it seems to be acceptable to wear filthy cloths to dinner and not take your hat off.
3. I have never lived somewhere where the majority of the residents can't utilize basic grammar - and will argue about it with you.
4. I have never had to enroll my child in a daycare where parents drop their kids off with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths.
5. I have never lived a place where the majority of residents think the "Red Lobster" is the height of fine dining.
6. I have never lived somewhere like this where the machositic behavoir of men toward wives, employees, etc. has been so bad.. and don't get me started on the pay.
7. I have never lived in a place where what my mother would consider "white trash" can afford a nicer house than my husband and I can. - and they ignore convenants.

But the problem is not the culture of Wyoming. It's me. It's my problem. I was raised differently, I was raised by what I suppose would be more educated, liberal, and out here (probably thought of as snobby) background where a priority is placed on the arts, culture, academics, etc. Also, the myth of the west, is just that. A myth. I will agree with Wyo2008 on that.

I do not like, Nascar, snowmobiles, "I'm country" attitudes, ranch dressing, ice berg lettuce, arrogance, cold weather, casual dressing, hunting, motorized recreational vehicles, lack of RSVP'ing, modulars, out of wedlock parenthood, nor do I like beer, men that think it is acceptable to spend more on an Alaskan hunting trip than their child's college fund. prime rib, fast food, Walmart, and the saying "Get 'er done."

That said. The problem is not Wyoming. The problem is totally me. I am in the wrong place for the things I like. However, I DO like the views, horses, and my husband who is a native.
Thanks for venting We still like and wish you happiness!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 PM

74 posts, read 358,643 times
Gee, if I wasn't in the Wyoming forum, I'd swear you were talking about my town in PA, dictionary! Except folks here wear camo 24/7/365, even to church! Our town has Cultural Deficit Disorder! But it has been a totally great place to live. If anything, it gives us more of an appreciation when we do go somewhere that has a lot more cultural diversity. Kind of like if you could only have chocolate a few times a year.....it would make it that much sweeter!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:03 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,165 times
Quote:
Well, I think some postings on both sides were a bit harsh. I have to say I DO agree with Wyo2008 on some points. A lot of it is that Wyoming is SO different to many people. I profess that the way I was raised I find many Wyoming cultural things to be "rough around the edges" whether that be due to natives or the boom I don't know.

1. I have never lived somewhere where they had to post at the gym, "no spitting in the garbage cans."
2. I have never lived somewhere where it seems to be acceptable to wear filthy cloths to dinner and not take your hat off.
3. I have never lived somewhere where the majority of the residents can't utilize basic grammar - and will argue about it with you.
4. I have never had to enroll my child in a daycare where parents drop their kids off with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths.
5. I have never lived a place where the majority of residents think the "Red Lobster" is the height of fine dining.
6. I have never lived somewhere like this where the machositic behavoir of men toward wives, employees, etc. has been so bad.. and don't get me started on the pay.
7. I have never lived in a place where what my mother would consider "white trash" can afford a nicer house than my husband and I can. - and they ignore convenants.

But the problem is not the culture of Wyoming. It's me. It's my problem. I was raised differently, I was raised by what I suppose would be more educated, liberal, and out here (probably thought of as snobby) background where a priority is placed on the arts, culture, academics, etc. Also, the myth of the west, is just that. A myth. I will agree with Wyo2008 on that.

I do not like, Nascar, snowmobiles, "I'm country" attitudes, ranch dressing, ice berg lettuce, arrogance, cold weather, casual dressing, hunting, motorized recreational vehicles, lack of RSVP'ing, modulars, out of wedlock parenthood, nor do I like beer, men that think it is acceptable to spend more on an Alaskan hunting trip than their child's college fund. prime rib, fast food, Walmart, and the saying "Get 'er done."

That said. The problem is not Wyoming. The problem is totally me. I am in the wrong place for the things I like. However, I DO like the views, horses, and my husband who is a native.
Just curious what made your husband and you decide to set roots in Wyoming other than him being a native, when so much of it conflicts with your background and how you were raised?

It is hard to pretend to be happy somewhere...

I will give you an example, I was raised in Oregon, Now there are many beautiful parts of that state, some I have very fond memories of growing up. However, not pretty enough to hold me there. I am not a environmental tree hugger type, Western Oregon where I grew up in predominately very liberal leaning, hussle and bussle of big city mentality, and crawling with illegal immigrants. So when I became a young adult and started a family my husband and I had to ask ourselves is the pretty view really worth living here, and he wasn't even from Oregon either? and we decided we wanted to raised our children in a place that was more conservative and identified more with our morals and values... and Wyoming was the place we chose.

I was just curious, so I thought I would ask

Last edited by Kristynwy; 06-12-2008 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: fixed my grammar and some typos...

Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,165 times
I just wanted to respond to the 7 opinions you have concerning Wyoming citizens and the state as a whole... I personally think when a person has a negative view, they tend to gravitate and latch onto the minority of people and use one person to declare the whole state of Wyoming as White Trash. I personally am more into concrete facts... My responses are inside of the quote below and will be in Red...

Quote:

What does this have to do with people in Wyoming and the state as a whole I do not understand nor see this as a supportive fact? There will be groups of people in every state of this country that have not been taught manners. I don't see a prevalence of this in my community?

What do you define as filthy clothes? Lower class folks who can't afford name brand clothing? I don't see white trash walking all over the place. The fact is before the booms Wyoming residents weren't rich, just ordinary folks. I and many others have not witnessed an over abundance of this in Wyoming? The majority of people have class and may not be rich, but were taught to have manners. Also depends on individual preference and interpretation, some people have nice clean ball caps on in casual eating establishments, and to some that is rude and others it is not, this is more of a preference rather than a reflection of Wyoming citizens.

This is an ironic statement as well, Wyoming has some of the best school districts, and some parents move out here not for just the small town atmosphere but the low crime rate and great place to educate their children. I don't see people walking around here not using basic grammar and think this is an overstatement. Each community in states across the entire country has their minorities of people that don't have these skills, but most people in Wyoming and bright intelligent folks.

This is again another steriotype, if you don't like your current day care why don't you change and find another one? I would really be interested in some real statics rather than such a slanted opinion, based on a minority of parents.

What an insensitive comment? The middle class is shrinking as we speak, it is all over the news in case you haven't heard, families all over the entire country have to cut costs and that means shopping and eating out. Just because a family cannot afford dinner 4 times a week at an upperclass eating establishment has nothing to do with a family's character, let alone character Wyoming citizens? For some families it is a treat to eat at Red Lobster or any kind of eating establishment, what is wrong with that??? Because someone has less money does that make a person ignorant?

That is really funny, cause I know several women all over the state that are treated with respect and dignity by their employers, husbands, and make pretty decent wages. Sounds more like a feminist agenda rather than a fact about Wyoming Women.

All depends on what a person defines as white trash, which I am getting the opinion by your post, if you are not upperclass, then you are white trash according to your mama. There will always be people all over this country that fall into money because a boom has rolled in town, why sit there and covet what a person has? This is a capitalist society and we all have choices in life, if you aren't satisfied with the house you have, get a better job with more income and do something about it? Greedy people is an indirect consequence of a boom, but when a boom busts those people who don't spend their money wisely end up suffering in the end or move away... A true Wyoming citizen will work one and two jobs to live here because they love the state they live in... I would really like to see some hard core statistics and facts on how many people break covenants. Why sit and whine about it, isn't that what the supposed HOA is for? call the county? The fact of the matter is most people have pride of ownership, and there are a few in in the minority that don't, and why should the rest of Wyoming citizens suffer because those people break the rules?

I just don't know how such an unhappy person with so many steriotypes about Wyoming and it's citizens can continue to live here and live such a bitter opinionated life? Why not find a place you are truly happy that fits your upperclass steriotypical mold???

Last edited by Kristynwy; 06-12-2008 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Had to fix a few typos..

Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM

56 posts, read 157,719 times
I am not here necessarily by choice, I will and plan to move in a heartbeat. I'm not going to go on an on refuting what I said I stand by my own opinion.

However, "money doesn't equal class" so I'm not looking down on people that can't afford certain things. Most of the white trash I've experienced in Wyoming DOES have money. Of course they do, they are making 25$ plus in the cbm field.. it's an attitude and a general culture I'm talking about that is very different than what I'm used to.

I'm sorry but I do find the majority fits into a lot of what I described.
I did have a friend that came to visit, she truly felt that we had been raised in a very middle class lifestyle "back east as you would say," but here we would be um, I guess upperclass? really I dislike all the class talk but I guess I need the vocabulary to describe it.

For example, my husband and I had some errands to run on a Sunday morning at.. of all places Walmart, there was no avoiding it - (I detest walmart) anyway, both of us were saying to each other, "Oh we look terrible, I feel like such a slob dressed like this going to walmart."

He had jeans on and a collared golf shirt. I had on nice sweatpants, nikes, and a patagonia fleece jacket. I did have makeup on.. Compared to the other shoppers, we looked like royalty, my husband kept joking, "I feel like I'm dress like Louis 14th compared to this crowd.."

My mother likes to look at the real estate pages online, she calls me and goes, "I can't believe how people LIVE and decorate out there.. it's so horrid, I mean who puts moose wallpaper in a Victorian? and parks their RV in the front of their house?" and on and on.. and she was raised very modestly. Again, it's just such a different culture.

I was complaining about the neighbors John Deere sculpture of some sort to her and she said, "well what can you expect, that's obviously what people do out there.. no taste whatsovever, but honey, you will move one day anyway!" And it's true. I just have to grit my teeth and enjoy what I can and not try to change too much of it.

Wyoming won't change.. the people won't change. Too stubborn and arrogant to.. and that's not meant as an insult. It is why Wyoming has retained the culture it has (as well as it's low population) and it will chase out what doesn't fit into it..

It's darwinian selection and I accept that. I'm just venting because I'm stuck here.

and P.S. in case you haven't read.. there is a daycare shortage in WY.. hellooooooo... read your newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming