Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 4,949 times

Advertisements

Where do I begin..... For the first 51 years of my life I've lived in the deep south. I've been with my employer for nearly 30 years and now they want to expand to WY.... Mars, right?? I'm just fun'n. I accept the challenge, at least I like to think I'm up for it.

I'm and outdoorsman. I'm a backyard beekeeper. I'll be looking to continue that hobby on... Mars! I'm an alligator hunter. I'll be looking forward to returning to Florida very hunting season to continue that hobby. Mars don't have gators! I love to fish, rod and reel or fly rod. I've done a little bit of deer hunting, hog hunting. Lots of turkey hunting Osceola and Eastern, duck hunting. We hunt snipe here in FL, my favorite. I'm a scuba diver, recreation only. I'm figuring that will have to require trips back to FL as well.

I run machine shop here in FL. We will be expanding our manufacture to Rock Springs WY. I'm figuring I'll be in RS in less than 6 months.

Everyone tells me I'll love the outdoors there. I've tried to look into hunting regs there but my head starts to spin when I read the season and game available to hunt. That's gonna take some time getting into and learning a new terrain and types of animals.

I'd like to hear from like minded people with similar interest. Let me know this hole I'm digging myself into. Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 10:11 PM

8,415 posts, read 8,625,165 times
Links about beekeeping in Wyoming
https://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bw...69i57.8902j0j7 Winter survival, etc.

Flaming George is huge, interesting and has some variety zone by zone. Not that far to forest / alpine areas but RS area is pretty bare.

Old 04-12-2022, 01:08 AM

17,640 posts, read 13,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfish247 View Post

Let me know this hole I'm digging myself into. Chris
You don't need to dig my friend. Rock Springs is in a hole, literally.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:10 AM

6,245 posts, read 5,035,971 times
Quote:
Where do I begin..... For the first 51 years of my life I've lived in the deep south. I've been with my employer for nearly 30 years and now they want to expand to WY.... Mars, right?? I'm just fun'n. I accept the challenge, at least I like to think I'm up for it.

I'm and outdoorsman. I'm a backyard beekeeper. I'll be looking to continue that hobby on... Mars! I'm an alligator hunter. I'll be looking forward to returning to Florida very hunting season to continue that hobby. Mars don't have gators! I love to fish, rod and reel or fly rod. I've done a little bit of deer hunting, hog hunting. Lots of turkey hunting Osceola and Eastern, duck hunting. We hunt snipe here in FL, my favorite. I'm a scuba diver, recreation only. I'm figuring that will have to require trips back to FL as well.

I run machine shop here in FL. We will be expanding our manufacture to Rock Springs WY. I'm figuring I'll be in RS in less than 6 months.

Everyone tells me I'll love the outdoors there. I've tried to look into hunting regs there but my head starts to spin when I read the season and game available to hunt. That's gonna take some time getting into and learning a new terrain and types of animals.

I'd like to hear from like minded people with similar interest. Let me know this hole I'm digging myself into. Chris
I've lived all over the world and married a mountain cop from eastern TN. I lived in TN for 20 years and aside from a few years in the military he had lived his entire life in TN until he met me, and moved to AK when I accepted a job up there. On the way back down a couple of years later we (on the spur of the moment) decided to detour and hit Cody WY.

We had two trucks, multiple different colored tarps, and everything we owned in the back. We looked like the Beverly Hillbillies. We pulled onto the main street in town, drove through town, pulled over between the hospital and museum, and walked up the steps of the Buffalo Bill Cody statue. It was March, no snow on the ground and everything was brown. As I looked around the barren hills in back of town I said "it looks like the Afghan-Pakistani border region". A Mars landscape would have also been an apt description.
To say the least we weren't impressed.

That was then. This is now. And last year my husband finally summed up our initial reaction to WY terrain. 'We didn't understand it". Now we do and we love it.

Good luck in your move. Link on outdoor rec opportunities in the area you're moving: https://www.tourwyoming.com/play/activities

Old 04-12-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Links about beekeeping in Wyoming
https://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bw...69i57.8902j0j7 Winter survival, etc.

Flaming George is huge, interesting and has some variety zone by zone. Not that far to forest / alpine areas but RS area is pretty bare.
Thank you NW Crow

Old 04-12-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
eddie gein it sounds like half my work is done

Old 04-12-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I've lived all over the world and married a mountain cop from eastern TN. I lived in TN for 20 years and aside from a few years in the military he had lived his entire life in TN until he met me, and moved to AK when I accepted a job up there. On the way back down a couple of years later we (on the spur of the moment) decided to detour and hit Cody WY.

We had two trucks, multiple different colored tarps, and everything we owned in the back. We looked like the Beverly Hillbillies. We pulled onto the main street in town, drove through town, pulled over between the hospital and museum, and walked up the steps of the Buffalo Bill Cody statue. It was March, no snow on the ground and everything was brown. As I looked around the barren hills in back of town I said "it looks like the Afghan-Pakistani border region". A Mars landscape would have also been an apt description.
To say the least we weren't impressed.

That was then. This is now. And last year my husband finally summed up our initial reaction to WY terrain. 'We didn't understand it". Now we do and we love it.

Good luck in your move. Link on outdoor rec opportunities in the area you're moving: https://www.tourwyoming.com/play/activities
Thank you for your comment and activities link. Very informative

Old 04-12-2022, 05:41 PM

5,566 posts, read 4,918,660 times
Quote:

Wyo. don't have gators. Florida is better for that.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:16 PM

3,636 posts, read 6,233,734 times
resident hunting and fish licenses require a year of residency. there some great waterfowl, and ither areas have good spring and fall turkeys. There other bids and smal game and a great selectionof large game.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I haven't been to Rock Springs in many years, but it sticks in my mind. My wife and I were on the way to visit good friends in Casper, and stopped overnight a a motel next to a truck stop in Rock Springs. The first odd thing was that the toilet was connected to hot water, we though maybe because of the bitter cold, but this was June. The we didn't get much sleep with the doors opening and closing, and some of the louder sounds coming through the walls. It seemed like the place was the home of many "workers" catering to the truckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming