Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,441 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have lived in Wyoming back in 2008-2012. I was married and had my first child there. We were living in Gillette at the time. I moved out of state to be closer to my family on the east coast while going through my divorce. I've been watching this forum and checking stats and doing research over the last several years and really have been thinking about moving back to Wyoming. As of right now I am in college for Computer Science in Cyber Security. I currently work in a warehouse for a major supply chain. I am a single mother of 2 now, but my parents are also willing to move out to WY with me. I was thinking about Gillette again. But I don't know how the economy is doing in the IT industry. Other areas I'm also looking into are Sheridan, Buffalo and Laramie (I lived in Laramie the first 6 months when I moved to WY).

My concerns are obviously as a parent are crime, educational system, drugs (which I know are everywhere), medical care and housing. The other is employment with my future degree in Cyber Security...or if I could find something in a warehouse. I own my own house now and would sell and use the proceeds towards a new home. I don't really want to rent. I remember Gillette having great medical care and the hospital was amazing, even if they couldn't do something I was sent down to Denver for additional testing. I don't know about Sheridan or Laramie's healthcare.

I'm just trying to get some insight on these areas and how much has changed over the last decade.

Another state I was looking into is Montana. But house is expensive and the economy isn't great. So I don't know about that.

Also, I read somewhere about human trafficking in Wyoming. Anyone have any more info on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 10:15 AM

Oh, I should mention we are a very outdoorsy family. Winters don't scare me as I have experienced them. I actually prefer the cold to the heat. We just like to go out and do things than stay at home.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:49 AM

8,910 posts, read 20,305,907 times
Funny, we have the same "thoughts" in our minds, but we are both early Baby Boomers (73/74). I'm fully retired and my wife will be, so employment is gone for us. We've been married for 21 years. I retired from Purchasing/Inventory Management and she is still working (from home) in Accounting/Finance. My high school years were on a hog farm in northeastern Indiana, until I enlisted in the Navy in 1968.

We've been in Cheyenne a few times, a couple of them for CFD rodeo, being that I use to be a PRCA roper years ago. Have been in Laramie once as well as Cody. Laramie is was nice, but lots of young folks due to the University. We get along with young folks, as long as they are into horses, ranching/livestock, farming, 4-H/FFA or rodeo.

I keep hearing (well, reading) that Cheyenne is growing quite a bit. We are interested in both Cheyenne and Sheridan. Currently living in Loveland, CO and this is our second time living in Colorado. For us, Colorado's Front Range is getting way to "fast paced" for us. We were gone for 10 1/2 years, back for the last 2 1/2 years and really have seen more and more young folks moving in. The older folks, like us, don't like how it's changed, but can do nothing about it. Luckily, we don't have a house to try and sell, since we can only afford an apartment.

Actually, I've been to Sheridan, Billings and Boseman, Montana. We love "Old West" stuff as well as an environment with that in it.

I've read on here that Cheyenne is growing by "leaps and bounds", but I'm definitely not sure about that. For some careers, the last states I'd look into would be Wyoming and Montana. But, IT jobs seem to be everywhere and in high demand.

Good Luck!!

Old 05-13-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Funny, we have the same "thoughts" in our minds, but we are both early Baby Boomers (73/74). I'm fully retired and my wife will be, so employment is gone for us. We've been married for 21 years. I retired from Purchasing/Inventory Management and she is still working (from home) in Accounting/Finance. My high school years were on a hog farm in northeastern Indiana, until I enlisted in the Navy in 1968.

We've been in Cheyenne a few times, a couple of them for CFD rodeo, being that I use to be a PRCA roper years ago. Have been in Laramie once as well as Cody. Laramie is was nice, but lots of young folks due to the University. We get along with young folks, as long as they are into horses, ranching/livestock, farming, 4-H/FFA or rodeo.

I keep hearing (well, reading) that Cheyenne is growing quite a bit. We are interested in both Cheyenne and Sheridan. Currently living in Loveland, CO and this is our second time living in Colorado. For us, Colorado's Front Range is getting way to "fast paced" for us. We were gone for 10 1/2 years, back for the last 2 1/2 years and really have seen more and more young folks moving in. The older folks, like us, don't like how it's changed, but can do nothing about it. Luckily, we don't have a house to try and sell, since we can only afford an apartment.

Actually, I've been to Sheridan, Billings and Boseman, Montana. We love "Old West" stuff as well as an environment with that in it.

I've read on here that Cheyenne is growing by "leaps and bounds", but I'm definitely not sure about that. For some careers, the last states I'd look into would be Wyoming and Montana. But, IT jobs seem to be everywhere and in high demand.

Good Luck!!

Thank you for your reply.

I really liked living in Gillette and Laramie. I forgot to mentioned I lived in Wright for a bit. My ex-in-laws live in Buffalo and and I visited that area and loved it. Sheridan was nice from what I remember, but this was many years ago. I have a friend in Gillette and said not much has changed, but has grown some. The only thing that I am concerned about is the high school is my kids are approaching those years and their school has a very low rating.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 6,253,561 times
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-22005

Old 05-16-2022, 09:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,656 posts, read 57,755,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo.tigerlilly View Post
I really liked living in Gillette and Laramie. I forgot to mentioned I lived in Wright for a bit. My ex-in-laws live in Buffalo and and I visited that area and loved it. Sheridan was nice from what I remember,...I am concerned about is the high school is my kids are approaching those years and their school has a very low rating.

WY is in pretty good shape as far as HS opportunities. + College is quite affordable.

I would look to live near an area with at least a Jr College, so your HS kids could pick up some extra college classes if they desire.

Personally... if I could afford it, I would look to Sheridan / Ranchester. Or Powell or Laramie. (I'm not keen on Gillette or Cheyenne (Personal preference).

Rock Springs, Rawlins, and Casper are out for my choices. (Especially if I had HS aged kids).

There are many places that will work out for you.

Put out your job feelers and make a preference list and go where makes the best sense for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming