Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 04:14 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times

Advertisements

Yes of course, more to Star Valley then just Star Valley Ranch but it is very spread out and not a lot all together relatively speaking to many other places.

Retail business? You'd want a monopoly or near monopoly if possible with the low customer base nearby any particular spit in the valley.

I would imagine some would like more stores, jobs or opportunities to start viable businesses. Including young people.

But is what it is for now. More super slow growth or does it pick up to earlier pace again? Or does decline eventually occur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 05:34 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,294,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Yes of course, more to Star Valley then just Star Valley Ranch but it is very spread out and not a lot all together relatively speaking to many other places.

Retail business? You'd want a monopoly or near monopoly if possible with the low customer base nearby any particular spit in the valley.

I would imagine some would like more stores, jobs or opportunities to start viable businesses. Including young people.

But is what it is for now. More super slow growth or does it pick up to earlier pace again? Or does decline eventually occur?
there always been small business, like freedom arms, Avitua, couple small sawmills, few machine shops, outfitters, horse rentals, truss plant. concrete. Broliums is the only big grocer with 3 stores in Alpine, Thayne and Afton. few small private auto-ag repair shops. Biggest employers still school, highway department, Simplot, Hospital, County, power coop, and Jackson Hole. Used to have cheese plants, big sawmill.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:25 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,840 times
Conservation easements are a long term mess for zoning and planning. At least 1/2, and maybe all, of the 'developers' interested in that farm in the article are doing so to get the tax benefits of the conservation easement, and then will sell it off after those are used up.

The words 'environmental scam' comes to mind....

Old 12-29-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Conservation easements are a long term mess for zoning and planning. At least 1/2, and maybe all, of the 'developers' interested in that farm in the article are doing so to get the tax benefits of the conservation easement, and then will sell it off after those are used up.

The words 'environmental scam' comes to mind....
I was on the Wyoming Stock Growers Agricultural land Trust for nine years was even the chairmen. It a tool that helps some ranchers pass on the ranch to the next generation. Yes, developers hate them and love them as they do keep open space a view sheds. Colorado had some problem with non-ethical land appraisals. The IRS watches the tax side of them.
they are just a tool and don't work for everybody, sure glad the big ranch around devil's tower has one, wouldn't want to see a big subdivision there.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:18 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,840 times
Well what goes on here in VA for Conservation Easements is that if you have land in a easement, then you have to pay a firm every year or two to come and examine the property to make sure the easement terms are being adhered to. You pay a coupla thousands bucks each time for that.

And I see much of the land turn over after the tax credits are used... real estate ads make it sound like a +, and it may be to some. But basically the general taxpayers pay the land owners who decide to put the land into easement, and the unscrupulous put the money in their pockets and walk away. It is a system set up to be abused here. That is why I react so negatively to them.

IDK all the rules in WY, but I'd look into it hard and think out how the system can work in negative ways before declaring it completely wonderful.

Holding land away from development does not require the general taxpayers to pay for it.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Well what goes on here in VA for Conservation Easements is that if you have land in a easement, then you have to pay a firm every year or two to come and examine the property to make sure the easement terms are being adhered to. You pay a coupla thousands bucks each time for that.

And I see much of the land turn over after the tax credits are used... real estate ads make it sound like a +, and it may be to some. But basically the general taxpayers pay the land owners who decide to put the land into easement, and the unscrupulous put the money in their pockets and walk away. It is a system set up to be abused here. That is why I react so negatively to them.

IDK all the rules in WY, but I'd look into it hard and think out how the system can work in negative ways before declaring it completely wonderful.

Holding land away from development does not require the general taxpayers to pay for it.
The land visit is required for the IRS, Wyoming Stock Growers land trust, Holds the trust and that expense comes out of their budget, we dis way more donated easements then boughten easements.
Like I said it is a tool to get land to the next generation, yes there those that try and bend the rules and others that wright up what they want and don't want. Like a one building spot for later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming