Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 PM

362 posts, read 1,856,826 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is kind of an odd thread, but I thought it deserved to be posted. Has anyone noticed that surrounding states like to steal Wyoming's treasures? What I mean by that is, a lot of times, Montana will take Yellowstone, Idaho will take the Tetons, and South Dakota will take Devils Tower. For example, I've seen countless maps, brochures, etc. that either outright claim or imply that Yellowstone is entirely in Montana. Granted, there is a small portion in Montana, but 90% lies within Wyoming's borders. I recently saw a show on Travel Channel that said the Tetons were in Montana! Plus I've seen numerous ads for Idaho that show the Tetons. My mom saw a South Dakota ad on TV that actually showed Devils Tower. Now, I have absolutely nothing against any of these states, and as my screen name says, I love the west, but those states all have plenty of bragging rights. They don't need to steal Wyoming's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:57 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,435 times
Interesting observation! Yeah, SD definitely considers all Black Hills theirs & most are but Devil's Tower REALLY isn't in the BH - is in the Bear Lodge mountains, isn't it? I get confused with a couple of those ranges.... But Belle Fourche River goes thru there which runs all thru BH so yeah - guess they follow the river to claim DT. LOL!!! I saw something on ONE of the Discovery channels referring to Billings, WY - I got a kick, out of that - Billings is ONE thing Wyo does NOT need!!! LOL!!! (was referring to St. V's hospital where a farmer had a serious farming accident & was transferrex to St. V's in Billings, Wyo). You are right tho - I've seen Tetons used in ads for Idaho but then when you are in eastern ID you can see the west (I guess it would be) end of them...not far from the border at all. So they DO have the view, but YELLOWSTONE IS WYO!!!!!!!!!!!! And if I'm NOT mistaken (which would be a show-stopper...LOL!!!) actually more than 90% of it is in Wyo. SO THERE YOU GUYS OUT THERE IN ID & MT!!! LOL!!! Glad you brought that up! I'm trying to think of ONE THING that Wyo claims for tourism promo that is NOT in Wyo! Can't think of a single thing! We don't need other states' stuff - we got the best of the best alteady

Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,150,653 times
Intersesting though, bad geographical luck I guess. I guess with Wyoming being our neighbor I have always realized where Yellowstone and the Tetons are but I defiently see your point on Montana and Idaho. As far as Devils Tower, I'm glad its really advertised with the Black Hills and South Dakota. IMO it would be a much less visited attraction if it wasn't.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 PM

269 posts, read 829,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMama View Post
Interesting observation! Yeah, SD definitely considers all Black Hills theirs & most are but Devil's Tower REALLY isn't in the BH - is in the Bear Lodge mountains, isn't it? I get confused with a couple of those ranges.... But Belle Fourche River goes thru there which runs all thru BH so yeah - guess they follow the river to claim DT. LOL!!! I saw something on ONE of the Discovery channels referring to Billings, WY - I got a kick, out of that - Billings is ONE thing Wyo does NOT need!!! LOL!!! (was referring to St. V's hospital where a farmer had a serious farming accident & was transferrex to St. V's in Billings, Wyo). You are right tho - I've seen Tetons used in ads for Idaho but then when you are in eastern ID you can see the west (I guess it would be) end of them...not far from the border at all. So they DO have the view, but YELLOWSTONE IS WYO!!!!!!!!!!!! And if I'm NOT mistaken (which would be a show-stopper...LOL!!!) actually more than 90% of it is in Wyo. SO THERE YOU GUYS OUT THERE IN ID & MT!!! LOL!!! Glad you brought that up! I'm trying to think of ONE THING that Wyo claims for tourism promo that is NOT in Wyo! Can't think of a single thing! We don't need other states' stuff - we got the best of the best alteady
Whe have it all! Even Devils tower on our plates!

Old 05-31-2008, 01:09 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,058,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoman View Post
Whe have it all! Even Devils tower on our plates!
LOL good point Wyoman! We do have that on our plates. So that in a way claims it is our fair and square haha

Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
It's funny to think about this topic. I recently saw an ad for the Utah Travel Council that showed people exploring a rock formation that is actually in Arizona. I though that was pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming