Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:50 PM

35 posts, read 162,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
You would be welcome in any town you went to. I'm in Sheridan. the other day, I did a check with about 6 realitors, I checked on line, and I also checked the Sheridan classified adds. There were two places available for rent. A loft with 2 bedrooms. And a studio with two rooms. Several motels offer rooms by the week or month and they have kitchenettes and are fairly nice, but as you can imagine, fairly expensive.
see now when nice people like you come along on this site and try to help it doesnt make WY seem that bad. but when others come on here and only talk negative,about how people from other states wont be able to handle it there or they wont be welcome, it makes me want to look somewhere else to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,488 times
Amanda.....

Do you need "A Man Da - hug n kiss" Just meesin with ya. I'm sure your husband is great.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 PM

john your humor is GREAT!

haha my bf is going to laugh when he finds out your called him my husband!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:53 AM

777 posts, read 3,197,488 times
I think I meant to say SO (significant other) I try to keep things light hearted. Not bad for an old man eh?

Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 PM

LOL its okay...it was an honest mistake. it happens all the time, i just think its funny when people call him my husband.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,822 times
WY I feel has a narrower line of thinking than other "progressive" thinking states. But thats a good thing. I dont need folks making me seatbelt in my dog, or getting all upset if they see a rifile in my truck. Yes the gun is loaded. The folks in this part of the country dont mind some things being the way it was back when.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:04 AM

4 posts, read 17,034 times
Default Check it out for yourself, its not for everyone

I have read all the threads in this forum and find these posts about my home state to be very entertaining. I have been a resident of Gillette for 27 years. I have traveled to many states in the US and have never found another that I cared to take up residency in. I love to travel and experience new things. Wyoming, for me, is a great place to come home to and feel safe about raising my family here.

Anywhere you choose to reside, you will have the good, the bad, and they ugly. Those issue will vary from state to state, or even community to community, Wyoming is no different.

Things I love: 270+ sunny days a year (mind you a cloud-free sky can be accomponied by 0 degree temperatures and 40+mph winds in February), low crime rate, outdoor recreation opportunities, many national parks and wildlife areas, close knit communities, wide open spaces, great schools, low unemployment rate, starry nights,primarily english speaking community, little traffic on our highways, city beautification projects,(large outdoor sculptures adorn our streets), low property taxes, great views,no state income tax, tax free groceries, friendly citizens. I realize you will likely encounter the occasional rude person, but most here will likely offer a friendly smile, something hardly seen on the street in the New England states.

The not so sunny side: High elevation, drought, cold winters, and wind. If you happen to fly in to get some experience here, you will literally feel the moisture drain from your skin when you step outside. No matter how much water you drink, it will not plump again until you go home. Light and variable winds in Wyoming are less than 20mph.
Limited ammenties between towns, vehicle maintence and survival skills and supplies are a must when traveling.
Housing shortage, lack of shopping, methamphetamine addiction (check it out live at the Wal-mart everynight), rates higher than the national averages for domestic abuse, larceny, and childhood asthma.

Quite honestly, the opinion of "if you can't hack it don't come here" is pretty right on. Most of our citizens don't want the to overpopulate our "wild west" state, especially with Californians buying up ranches to create private compounds. The population growth in our city has grown 15% in the last 5 years, and we can't keep up with the housing. Our boom and bust economy presents enough challenges.
We currently have a rental vacancy rate of 1.1%. We have restaurants closing due to lack of employees. If you do eat out, it will cost you a small fortune at the fast food joint, because employers are paying $9.00 an hour with benefits, to even hire help. If you would like to take one of the many decent paying jobs available (which are mostly blue-collar), you about have to bring your own apartment with you, or be monetarily raped by greedy landlords. I have noticed recently that even our "always low prices" Wal-mart is jacking up prices here, much higher than in communities 100 miles away. Grocery prices in Gillette are consistant with prices in affluent, Jackson Hole.
I invite you to check us out if your never been to Wyoming before.If you are willing to take to good with the bad and maintain a great attitude, Wyoming welcomes you.
Of course, this too is only my opinion, offering one more perspective to consider in Big Wonderful Wyoming.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmischief View Post
Anywhere you choose to reside, you will have the good, the bad, and they ugly. Those issue will vary from state to state, or even community to community, Wyoming is no different.

If you are willing to take to good with the bad and maintain a great attitude, Wyoming welcomes you.
Of course, this too is only my opinion, offering one more perspective to consider in Big Wonderful Wyoming.
And I understand that. Before I moved to live in Raleigh I lived in a small town with nothing to do and where everyone knew everything about you. I understand what Wyoming is going to be like. I know its going to be a big change. When I go back home to visit, it blows my mind on how much different it is from where I live now, and the sad part is, its more advanced than I fear Wyoming is going to be.

My bf is going to be going down a month in advance to start his job and to find a place to live. It isnt like we are going to be just leaving NC and moving down there without doing some research and actually seeing the place first. I usually maintain a good attitude about big changes like moving. Im sure its going to take a while to get use to things.

The only thing that I fear is that when I get there people arent going to be to welcoming to me. Im a very nice person and love making new friends, but I dont want people to see that Im from a "big city" and think that Im not going to be nice or something like that.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1988 View Post
And I understand that. Before I moved to live in Raleigh I lived in a small town with nothing to do and where everyone knew everything about you. I understand what Wyoming is going to be like. I know its going to be a big change. When I go back home to visit, it blows my mind on how much different it is from where I live now, and the sad part is, its more advanced than I fear Wyoming is going to be.

My bf is going to be going down a month in advance to start his job and to find a place to live. It isnt like we are going to be just leaving NC and moving down there without doing some research and actually seeing the place first. I usually maintain a good attitude about big changes like moving. Im sure its going to take a while to get use to things.

The only thing that I fear is that when I get there people arent going to be to welcoming to me. Im a very nice person and love making new friends, but I dont want people to see that Im from a "big city" and think that Im not going to be nice or something like that.

Worry about weather. Worry about cold. Worry about finding a suitable apartment, but one thing you don't have to worry about is whether the people are friendly and will they welcome you. You bet they will. Just keep one thing in mind, try not to say, "Well, where I come from, this is how we did it." hahahahaha

Old 02-09-2007, 10:54 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,769 times
Default big city to WY

Amanda1988 - if you are friendly and outgoing to people they will be the same to you. I had a transplant tell me yesterday that they aren't being welcomed here - I know this person fairly well and I know why they aren't being welcomed. She tells everyone she meets how backwards WY is, how terrible the weather is, how far it is to anywhere "decent". No wonder she isn't being welcomed. I moved here a little over 3 years ago. I love it in WY. Midnightmischief hit the nail on the head in his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming