Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 12,969 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My family and I are new to this area and would like to take a family vacation in order to explore the region. We are thinking about somewhere in Idaho or Wyoming (within 3-4 hours of SLC).

Here is our wish list:
1) Cabin on a lake (there are only 3 of us, so we don't want/need a cabin that sleeps 20). Prefer mountains.

2) Very close to hiking/running trails/fishing

3) small quaint town . Not extremely remote, but not a place where cabins are on top of each other either.

Have any of you taken a family vacation that fits what I am looking for? Can you suggest some lakes, areas to look? Any places to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Utah Trail Runner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Yeah, kind of. Can't say as I've taken exactly what you describe. I've had a cabin by the lake, but the lake wasn't 3 or 4 hours from SLC. If you want 3 or 4 hours from SLC, it seriously cuts down the areas to play in.

You want the lake with a small town or a small town nearby say 15-20 minutes?

Do you have anyplace in mind that you were looking?

Old 06-16-2008, 01:38 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,498 times
I am not as familiar with the southern parts of Wyoming... But there are a lot of people here that may be able to help you answer your questions...

I hope you have a nice vacation with your family

Old 06-16-2008, 03:47 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I think you're going to have to really compromise a lot in your "wish list" of requirements for your small cabin stay.

IMO, there's no place within 3-4 hours of SLC that will meet even most of them, especially if your basic premise is a seemingly remote cabin on a lake by a "quaint town".

If you'll consider a longer distance from SLC, then Flaming Gorge might be suitable, especially if you'll consider a "houseboat" on the lake instead of a cabin ... but, there again, there's flaws in that plan ... most houseboat rentals are larger in size/accomodations, with a price point targeted to that larger group, and you'll have to pick a place (lots of them there) on the shoreline to tie up for your hiking/running trails.

From your overall description, I think of places like Grand Lake, Colorado, or McCall, ID ... except that they're much further away and aren't very isolated anymore. McCall's a pretty decent town, but I'm not sure that "quaint" would be an apt description.

True isolation in a remote cabin with access to everything you're asking for would be found in places such as Big Creek (Big Creek Lodge, just a short walk from the airstrip), ID, or Yellow Pine (lots of motel rooms & small cabins), ID. Even that's a compromise ... you're not on a lake front, but by the creeks running through the area. They're not very accessible by driving, and we get there by airplane (which makes heading back to McCall for supplies very easy ... 15-30 minutes of flight and a walk across from the airstrip to shopping). You can get backcountry aircraft charter service out of McCall or Salmon, ID, which will go to those places along with a sizable number of 4 star rated backcountry resort cabin operations in the Idaho backcountry/wilderness areas, many private resort operations with their own waterfront or stream/river frontage. Most of those places require advance reservations and a minimum stay of the better part ... if not all ... of a week, with price points ranging from $1,500 pp dbl occupancy and up (and up); however, they are all-inclusive places for your fishing/hiking/cabin with super meals & service if that's what you want, or just a cabin where you provision and cook for yourself ... or something in-between. Many have other activities, such as horseback trail riding, tennis, etc.

Closer to SLC, you might find a cabin around Coalville, Heber City, or down around Strawberry Park Reservoir. Again, you'll not find the total combination you specified for remote locale, activities, and "quaint" town nearby ... and you may not necessarily find a cabin that's not near others.

The dichotomy for your list stems from the fact that there's very little public access water in the Rocky Mountain West that has not been developed for resort/recreational use ... because it's a popular pastime and there simply isn't a lot of water in the area. Most of the lake holdings/shoreline are Fed or State property, and depending upon the controlling agency, may or may not have private holdings or businesses on or nearby the shoreline. Lakes in more remote mountain places ... which may have "quaint" towns nearby but not a lot of cabins/development... are around, but they're not anywhere close to the Wasatch range.

Generally speaking, if a combination such as you describe was available in the Rocky Mountain West, "big money" from out of the area bought in ... privatized it for their personal playground ... and priced it out of most folks' reach as far back as shortly after the Civil War. What wasn't bought up then was purchased by wealthy folks during or shortly after the 1930's Depression ... from the descendents of the families that homesteaded and ranched/farmed large parcels (generally as "remittance" men) or had mining claims. With the exception of some hollywood types and other big name recently affluent people, most of the places have now been in families for generations ... although you do see some of these coming onto the marketplace now and then as a "executive retreat" or "gentleman's ranch" of some size and priced way up in the multi-millions.

I hope you find a place/price point that meets your requirements ... but I think you may be getting some exposure to why RV's are so popular out here in the West for folk's getaways. There's a fair number of public and private locations where you can "camp" which might meet a lot of your requirements.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
While not in Wyoming or Idaho, here's one in Utah within a few hours of SLC:
Moon Lake Resort Home

It has cabins by the lake, though no real town to speak of. There is a lodge with the basic amenities (food, bait, ice, etc.). It is in the high Uinta range, so hiking opportunities abound. You can navigate around the website to learn more about it.

I'm not sure about other similar places within a few hours of SLC, but this one immediately came to mind. All the other places similar to what you're seeking that I know of are much further away.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
4 hours from SLC will get you to Jackson, Wyoming. Lots of ranch type places with cabins and all the outdoor activities but not too many on a lake. Here is one place abit off the beaten path so you can escape the hoards of tourists.

Budge' Slide Lake Cabins :: In the heart of Jackson Hole

Old 06-17-2008, 12:49 AM

430 posts, read 1,622,442 times
Are you really adverse to camping in a camper or something???? Can go west of Kemmerer up into the Bridger Forst to Lake Naughton I think is called? Is along Ham's Fork River & a LOT of wildlife - can hardly go up there w/o seeing moose - esp if you go on up a little higher. Is reallY REALLY BEAUTIFUL. The road goes on over the mountains into Cokeville. Maybe is Viva Naughton - can't really think what is called - but know the Naughton part is right...but there aren't any cabins - COMPLETELY primative - but a few miles on up there is a great campground.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,392 times
I'm lacking in the geographical sense sadly. Can't really visualize what 3 or 4 hours away from Salt Lake is, but if you happen to be in the Yellowstone area, on the Idaho side, you should definitely check out the Upper and Lower Mesa falls. (Not to mention Yellowstone itself.) One of those waterfalls was the prettiest I've ever seen. With mossy cavernous sides. And there was even a rainbow. A location not at all heavily frequented. Kind of out of the way perhaps. But if you're in the Yellowstone area, it might fit into your plans. Happy vacationing...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:31 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
[quote=MRVphotog;4129102]4 hours from SLC will get you to Jackson, Wyoming. Lots of ranch type places with cabins and all the outdoor activities but not too many on a lake. Here is one place abit off the beaten path so you can escape the hoards of tourists.
QUOTE]

are you seriously suggesting that Jackson is a "quaint little town"? ROTF here

Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM

430 posts, read 1,622,442 times
[quote=sunsprit;4141211]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
4 hours from SLC will get you to Jackson, Wyoming. Lots of ranch type places with cabins and all the outdoor activities but not too many on a lake. Here is one place abit off the beaten path so you can escape the hoards of tourists.
QUOTE]

are you seriously suggesting that Jackson is a "quaint little town"? ROTF here
DEFINITELY have to agree with you on THAT one!!!! No offense, but "quaint" is NOT the word I would use to describe "the hole".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming