U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM

17 posts, read 75,258 times

Advertisements

I'll most likely be attending law school at UW this fall, however am out of state and have never been to Cheyenne. How different is Laramie from Cheyenne? I found the campus to be beautiful, and really love the number of trees.

People told me Laramie was run down, although I have a much different opinion after visiting. People also tell me Cheyenne is very different, however aside from population in what manner?

Also, how is the drive from Laramie to Cheyenne, both in the winter and during the summer/fall/spring. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,738,498 times
Well I am not as familiar with Southern, Wyoming...

I do know from what my husband tells me that Laramie has more trees I think...
I have heard it is colder down there than up here in Sheridan... and a little more windy...

But that is all I know.. However there are a lot of people on here that can give you a better idea of what it is like down there

Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 PM

719 posts, read 2,433,544 times
Cheyenne, Wyoming's capitol, lies on the plains and is a bit more arid than Laramie. Cheyenne is also larger, replete with state gov't. and ag. business.
Laramie is at a higher elevation, and is somewhat less arid. It is home to The University of Wyoming and it's beloved Cowboys football team, aka "The 'pokes", as you know. The Snowy Range is nearby, where weather fronts often collide. Both Laramie and Cheyenne share one thing in common, and many new folks don't tolerate it well-WIND. Good luck on your J.D.

Last edited by Sockeye; 06-18-2008 at 02:31 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 01:23 AM

430 posts, read 1,485,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonsrule View Post
I'll most likely be attending law school at UW this fall, however am out of state and have never been to Cheyenne. How different is Laramie from Cheyenne? I found the campus to be beautiful, and really love the number of trees.

People told me Laramie was run down, although I have a much different opinion after visiting. People also tell me Cheyenne is very different, however aside from population in what manner?

Also, how is the drive from Laramie to Cheyenne, both in the winter and during the summer/fall/spring. Thanks!
LOL!!!! NIGHT & DAY!!! I can't think of many similarities at all except they are both near the Colo border. The drive between Laramie & Cheyenne in the winter (OR summer) can be unforgiving - generally in winter because of ice & Roosevelt hill going down into Laramie from Chey. The summer is a nightmare because no other interstate in the USA has NEAR the traffic volume as I-80 & most of it is semi traffic, but in the summers you have everybody else traveling on it as well & is straight-up a 4-lane interstate with no wider areas for heavier traffic in Wyo. When there are bad accidents on I-80, they ARE BAD generally speaking. My step-daughter has made the trips back & forth for years & usually had no probs but there have been several days in a row when she couldn't get back to Chey because I-80 being closed in & out of Chey. She has sometimes been able to drop down into Colo about 40 miles, cut over to I-25 & hope I-25 north is still open by the time she gets there. Winters can be mild to unbelievable - there is no real norm. I'd pick Laramie over Chey any day - the winters are harsher, is generally not as hot in the summer but shorter summer (which suits me best) & Chey is growing WAYYYY toooo large for me. A LOT of great exploring & climbing etc. not far from Laramie.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:35 AM

46 posts, read 326,685 times
If you take Happy Jack Road, the drive between Laramie and Cheyenne is actually quite incredible. Even I80 on a Sunday evenning during nice weather is very nice. But it's downright scary in the winter a lot of the time. I would not want to commute in the winter, although people do. I-80 closes often in the winter.

As for differences between the towns, there are many. In many respects they are too different to compare - an apples and oranges kind of situation. Laramie is about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of Cheyenne. A good bit of its population is the UW student body, which also provides a good bit of the general labor force for a lot of businesses. Because pretty much all of the students leave town when school's out, and this affects the economics of the town greatly. Shopping here is quite limited, as are choices for eating out, and well, just about everything is limited - it's very much a small town. This is one of the greatest attributes Laramie has, in my opinion, and is one of the main reasons I chose to move back here over my home town of Cheyenne.

As for Laramie being "run down," there are aspects that could definitely use some improvement, like many towns. But Laramie is a little quirky in that there are a lot of rental houses and apartments for the students. On a given street, there will be a mix of really great, nicely cared for houses along with some that are clearly rental properties. It's sad, funny, and frustrating at the same time, but that's one of the charms of Laramie.

Cheyenne is larger, with a much more stable population, and has the retail infrastructure for it. There are many more retail choices in Cheyenne, along with more traffic and everything else that comes with more people.

I think I would plan on living in Laramie for the first year here, just to get an idea of what the winters are like.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 AM

4,800 posts, read 8,123,376 times
I live in Laramie and am attending the University.

We just spent our first winter here and I would say that if you are planning on attending UW, live here in Laramie. If you plan on living in Cheyenne and commuting, you will miss a lot of classes.

Also, plan to drive either a four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle. Rear-wheel drive will get you nothing but trouble.

All of that said, we live in the tree district in Laramie. I love this town. Downtown is quaint, people are friendly and helpful, housing is reasonable, there are shops here which will ensure that you are able to buy everything you need, and if you desperately have to have a mall fix, Cheyenne is 45 minutes away, Fort Collins is a little over an hour.

We are surrounded by the Snowy Range and the Medicine Bows and they are gorgeous--in the snow or in the sun. Winter time is harsh, but summer time makes up for it in spades.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,323,408 times
This is not a hour commute in Alabama. This is a 5 or 6 hour, life threatening commute in Wyoming. And that is if they simply don't close the roads period.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,104 posts, read 45,190,977 times
I did the drive nightly as part of my job...(truck driving during college). I prefer Laramie to Cheyenne for living, and there are plenty of 'run-down' places in each, as well as nice. I did the Snowy Range and Veedauwoo this week, both within 30 mi of Laramie, very nice... and the 1 hr drive to Ft Collins is good too (construction at the moment...@ State Line).

I never spent more than 3 hrs getting to Laramie from Cheyenne (unless road was closed...) but... many times...I spent a couple hours waiting for wrecks to be cleared Wind + Snow + plenty of traffic = risk.... pay your life insurance and have good medical, and a safe vehicle. Carry emergency supplies and extra clothes, water and food. Keep moisture out of your fuel, and top off daily BEFORE parking it. or... live in Laramie and enjoy 2 LONG breaks everyday that would otherwise be a "white knuckle" (expensive) drive on the commute.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,516,049 times
Having the two towns close together is very nice, but I would not commute to one or the other if you can help it.

If you are going to school at UW just live in Laramie. Its a great town. May not be the kind of place to live the rest of your life. But a great place to spend a couple years in going to school.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 AM

24 posts, read 113,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Keep moisture out of your fuel, and top off daily BEFORE parking it.
Why is this? Because of a long warm-up?

OP - did you decide to go? My husband will be attending in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming