Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,129 times

Advertisements

WE are planning to pull our little 13 ft trailer down thru yellowstone and down into teton national park. having never been that far down,we wondered about the best camp sites. our main goal is to see moose. any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 05:59 PM

9 posts, read 55,258 times
I cant recommend specific sites but once you find one reserve it ASAP!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:06 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
I would suggest stopping at Colter Bay, it's the first place you will see after you get out of YNP and enter GTNP. There are camgrounds in GTNP and in the surrounding Bridger-Teton NF but few with hookups. There was a KOA on Teton Village Rd but that was closed a few years ago for a real estate developement. You can also stop at park headquaters in Moose which is about 15 miles further down the road.
Best info would be from the GTNP website or the Jackson Hole chamber website including phone numbers.

To see moose there are several spots where they hangout, Oxbow Bend area is one. The hard part is the best time to see them is at sunrise and dusk.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:38 AM

Signal Mountain Campground, Colter Bay Campground,Lizard Creek Campground are the three we were looking at. i just wish the web sites showed more pictures so you you see how wooded they were.no hook-ups doesnt bother us as much has no shade,. Thanks for info

Old 07-04-2008, 06:48 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymontanny View Post
Signal Mountain Campground, Colter Bay Campground,Lizard Creek Campground are the three we were looking at. i just wish the web sites showed more pictures so you you see how wooded they were.no hook-ups doesnt bother us as much has no shade,. Thanks for info
Signal Mountain and Coulter Bay are awesome places to stay right on Jackson Lake with incredible views. Lizard Creek is just a campground in the woods. Both Coulter Bay and Signal Mtn have ammenities like a store, swimming and boating. Coulter Bay has the Indian Museum which is cool. Keep in mind that the water in Jackson Lake is very cold this time of year. Coulter Bay is run by the park and Signal Mtn is private although the camground might be run by the park. Coulter Bay is huge and can get very busy, SM not as much.

I would say that LC would be the most wooded, CB is flat and mostly wooded and SM is abit hilly with some sites are wooded some are not.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 07-04-2008 at 07:04 AM..

Old 07-04-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Signal Mountain and Coulter Bay are awesome places to stay right on Jackson Lake with incredible views. Lizard Creek is just a campground in the woods. Both Coulter Bay and Signal Mtn have ammenities like a store, swimming and boating. Coulter Bay has the Indian Museum which is cool. Keep in mind that the water in Jackson Lake is very cold this time of year. Coulter Bay is run by the park and Signal Mtn is private although the camground might be run by the park. Coulter Bay is huge and can get very busy, SM not as much.

I would say that LC would be the most wooded, CB is flat and mostly wooded and SM is abit hilly with some sites are wooded some are not.
This is perfect info,thank you so much

Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM

123 posts, read 215,427 times
Is there any difference in the quality of the parks being that one is privately owned and the other is government owned?

We're planning a trip to Yellowstone/GTNP this July and will probably stay at one of these 2 campsites unless there are others that become a factor due to recommendations here or elsewhere.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
Is there any difference in the quality of the parks being that one is privately owned and the other is government owned?

We're planning a trip to Yellowstone/GTNP this July and will probably stay at one of these 2 campsites unless there are others that become a factor due to recommendations here or elsewhere.
I'm sorry to say that I would rather stay at a Gov run facility. Most of the GOV sights are primitive camp grounds. No bells, no whistles, no tourist trap store, no group sing-a-long on Saturdays. Just the nice quiet piece of the mountains along with a few friendly folks parked near you.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM

123 posts, read 215,427 times
Thanks ElkHunter....I had a feeling it would be that way. I cringe thinking that government run is better than privatized...just doesn't seem right. Before long with the way things are going, everyone will be government employees...

OK, so we'll look harder at Coulter Bay and Signal Mountain. If Signal Mountain is indeed private, I think we'll stay at Coulter Bay if we can get in. I hear it fills up pretty early each day.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
OK, so we'll look harder at Coulter Bay and Signal Mountain. If Signal Mountain is indeed private, I think we'll stay at Coulter Bay if we can get in. I hear it fills up pretty early each day.
When I stayed at Colter Bay, it was after sundown in August a few years ago. All the RV sites were filled up, but there were tent sites available. I can't remember what day of the week it was, though, so that could make a difference. I am certain in was midweek as opposed to weekend, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: