Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times

Advertisements

To clarify EH's post (I think), the May snows would likely be in the Bighorns, not on I-90. If all goes as usual anyway, we'll get more snow on the prairie this month, possibly right up to the end of April, but I don't recall ever getting snow in Gillette in May. Snow up on top, however, is very possible throughout May. I attended a wedding at Bear Lodge (14/14A junction) Memorial Day weekend a few years ago, and it had to be held inside because it was snowing like crazy outside, and it had been for a couple days. In fact, I remember a July 4th weekend up there when it snowed a foot.

Yellowstone is also likely to be cool throughout May with snow in the evenings a good possibility -- with some snow on the roads in the passes. It should be a good trip.

The first time I was ever in this area I left Iowa on May 25, 1968 for Alaska. It was cool in places, some snow still on the ground in places, but I never saw a snowflake the whole way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
To clarify EH's post (I think), the May snows would likely be in the Bighorns, not on I-90. If all goes as usual anyway, we'll get more snow on the prairie this month, possibly right up to the end of April, but I don't recall ever getting snow in Gillette in May. Snow up on top, however, is very possible throughout May. I attended a wedding at Bear Lodge (14/14A junction) Memorial Day weekend a few years ago, and it had to be held inside because it was snowing like crazy outside, and it had been for a couple days. In fact, I remember a July 4th weekend up there when it snowed a foot.

Yellowstone is also likely to be cool throughout May with snow in the evenings a good possibility -- with some snow on the roads in the passes. It should be a good trip.
Thanks for clarifying that, yes, that's what I meant is snow up on top. That's what happens when you type faster than you think....... but then again, if I waited until I was done thinking, I'd never get anything done.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Last May 1st Cheyenne area got it pretty good with snow storms for a few days as i recall. Made up for the whole snow year during that week for Cheyenne. Correct me if i am wrong.
Scott

Last edited by ScottStielow; 04-03-2014 at 10:53 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Thanks for clarifying that, yes, that's what I meant is snow up on top. That's what happens when you type faster than you think....... but then again, if I waited until I was done thinking, I'd never get anything done.
I kinda know what you mean, EH. I often talk faster than I think. Not that I talk that fast....

Here's a phone number and web address for Wyoming road conditions: 1-888-996-7623 or WYDOT Travel Information Service (Cheyenne)

Old 04-04-2014, 12:11 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Last May 1st Cheyenne area got it pretty good with snow storms for a few days as i recall. Made up for the whole snow year during that week for Cheyenne. Correct me if i am wrong.
Scott
and thankful we were to see that moisture on our emerging alfalfa and pastures.

Had the roads around here shut down for a couple of days until the county plowed the school bus routes.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 PM

90 posts, read 217,283 times
Ok, I had to walk away from the touch pad and go to the keyboard.

Once again, thank you for the "guy on the ground" intell.

I researched the 14A, and the Bear Lodge locations; and most importantly the Big Horns.

Looking at a map, that's the first of the Rocky's I'll ride into. 13,000+ is the norm.
I'll have to be really disciplined with keeping up with the weather, and not riding up mountains late in the day.

I may have to look at riding south for a spell, then west again.

_
Thanks again for the responses.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Town View Post
- snip -

I may have to look at riding south for a spell, then west again.

_
Thanks again for the responses.
If you do bypass the Bighorns, you'll miss some of the most beautiful part of the trip. You can check the road report and know beforehand how 14 will be. Like you say, if you hit the base of the mountain about 10-12, it would be a great ride. Also, Bear Lodge has the best burgers found anywhere around here.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:49 AM

90 posts, read 217,283 times
Solid Copy.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I read somewhere in the past couple weeks that Wyoming has more motorcycle owners per capita than nearly other any state. The wind isn't always fierce in Wyoming, and if it's bad here, it'll probably be bad in the adjoining states as well -- maybe not quite AS bad, but bad. Sturgis, SD has one of the biggest motorcycle rallies anywhere, and it's only a few miles from the Wyoming border.

That said, if it's I-80 that you're taking across Wyoming, it can get some hellacious winds. The whole I80 corridor across the state sits at a pretty high elevation and there's not much to slow the wind. Check the weather forecast. If it sounds bad, take a day off. If I were you, I'd do that the whole route. My sister and her husband farm along I80 in western Iowa, and they see big semis blown over along their farm every year. I know Nebraska and South Dakota get strong winds too.

I70 over the Rockies west of Denver doesn't get as much wind, but you can't get there without driving through some high wind areas. I90 across northern Wyoming doesn't get as much wind as I80 either, but across South Dakota it can be a bear.

Keep an eye out for thunderstorms too. That's the season for them. And have a good ride.

In 2004 I was driving I-80 somewhere between Rawlins and Rock Springs towing my 17' boat to Oregon. This was probably in the late May timeframe. It was very windy that day and it was blowing the truck around a bit. I look in the mirror once and seen the front of the boat get airborne about 6"-8"on the trailer then drop back down. The back was strapped but the front just had the winch hook on it and a safety chain with too much slack. Needless to say for a second or two I thought my boat was going to get airborne. Thankfully no mishaps but it startled me some. I stopped and put a strap across the front of the bow for the rest of the trip to Oregon.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 846 times
I see the intense winds in Wyoming related to the location and surrounding land. Crazy forrr truckerz. It took only a short month to realize the dangers for high profile vehicles in Cheyenne. ������
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming