U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 PM

9 posts, read 27,108 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about a move from the South to either the Dubois area or the Star Valley. We both work at home so daily commuting is not an issue. We do need year-round access though. Our children are grown and out of the house so schools are not an issue either. Although we are craftsmen (I am a production weaver, my husband a metal worker) we don't need to be around other artists. We are happy to be fairly isolated. We currently live in Asheville,NC and it has gotten too crowded for us. Any thoughts about these two areas would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 PM

11,376 posts, read 47,172,521 times
Dubois is a small town that is located in a gorgeous valley over the hills East of Yellowstone/Star Valley region. There's a modest center of town with a few restaurants/coffee shops, laudromat, car wash, post office, a mercantile store or two, touristy shops, fishing shops, some service businesses, motels, and a bunch of bars. The economy is based on tourists, fishing, snowmobiling, and so forth. The "best" jobs around for years were the county jobs or similar type employment. It's mostly reservation land in the area, and has been a "playground" for america's back East wealth for many years.

Housing/land prices in the area will shock you. I looked at a small 1 room cabin on the creek about 4 miles out of town in the late 1980's with 10 acres and it was asked at $500K. My first glimpse of the hidden exclusive wealth in the area was to come around the bend on final in the canyon heading to the airstrip ... which was totally out of proportion to the community. It's sized for small jets .... The heads of corporate america have been fishing & hunting here for years.

You will have to make a major commute for shopping from this area.

Star Valley, ranging from Afton and up to the North, OTOH, is equally scenic and gorgeous land. Well forested and lots of water compared to much of the state. With all the little communities in the area, it has a much larger economic base ... many more services, medical, shopping, restaurants survive in the area. As a result, it's a very expensive area to buy in.

There's a lot of folks buying land and building spec houses on "lots" to accomodate the influx of retirees.

Between the two areas, it will come down to how "remote" you want to be and how much you value reasonably close access to essential shopping and services, medical care, etc. ... and how much you want to spend to buy it. Both are especially scenic places in Wyoming, with lots of the outdoor activities.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Dubois Vs. Star Valley

I have heard that if you live in the Pinedale area (or specifically Hoback Ranches) that mineral rights can wreak havoc with land ownership. Do you know if that is also true in the Dubois area? I think that it isn't as much of a problem in the Star Valley...... maybe you know more? I know that the Star Valley is more populated than Dubois ( we are looking a little west of town) but if you are in the Dubois area are outsiders welcomed? P.S. How is Dubois pronounced?????? Thanks!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM

610 posts, read 3,096,128 times
In Wyoming, it's pronounced Dew-Boy. Other states have towns of the same name pronounced DuBoyse.
Mineral rights and water rights are interesting out here. Chances of you actually owning land with mineral-rights are somewhat slim. Water rights are more important. If you're looking west of Afton, Auburn is a great little place. You've only got about three miles west from the main highway before you're in Idaho all thru the Star Valley.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:17 AM

11,376 posts, read 47,172,521 times
West and North of Dubois has some excellent parcels available.

Shouldn't be a problem with extractive industries in the area, although you will not be able to buy the mineral rights ... they've been assigned throughout the state by the late 1800's, or retained by State, Federal, Railroad, or reservation interests.

Be sure that you've got good access to domestic water, either through a community well system, an existing well, or a high probability of reaching water with your own new domestic well.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Dubois Vs. Star Valley

OK, I can see that you are in SW Wyoming, what are the views like in the Star Valley? We are working with a realtor and looking at Alpine down to Freedom. But we are also looking about 10 miles west of Dubois.I think the views are amazing there..... since we work at home and will be able to appreciate the beauty of the land pretty much 24/7, views are important to us. Even though we live about 10 minutes from downtown Asheville(NC), we only go into town once a week. But we do need year-round access to be able to get materials in to be able to work at home. Yes, I do know about water rights as well. Are people friendly in the Dubois area?

Old 01-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Thanks, Sunsprit! The more info, the better.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,510 times
It depends, do you like desert or well watered mountains.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:22 AM

Funny you would ask.... we are flying out to look around tomorrow. Scheduled to stay in the Alpine area but want to look around in Dubois as well. Actually have nine properties we will look at in the Alpine area. I could go either way, desert or green mountains.My husband prefers the green mountains.I do know that after researching the area for the past five months where we will find the desert or the green.Where do you live? What other differences are there between the two areas, people-wise?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,121,718 times
Sorry, but it's pronounced DOO-boyce. That from a friend who is third-generation from Dubois/Lander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming