U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:53 AM

274 posts, read 580,748 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Wyoming within the next year or year and a half. I am single and work in I.T. as a Network Engineer. I am currently in Atlanta, GA and looking to move. I was born raised in Michigan and I am really starting to miss the snow and all the activities that go with it. I am a single guy, so I can pack up and move without anything holding me back.

I have a quick question:
1.) I am looking for places that when the snow falls, its stays. I would like to find someplace that has snow around 70-80% of the time for the winter months, and that is an hour or less to a city with some work (If thats possible). Could someone maybe show me a section on a map of where to research, provide a link, list some cities? I would greatly appreciate it. I dont want to move there and pick a city and it not be what I want.

I work in I.T. and have 11 yrs experience, so it shouldn't be that hard to find something.

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 AM

540 posts, read 1,777,085 times
May I suggest Sheridan Wyoming. Plenty of snow during the season and easy access to mountains also. Same goes for Jackson Wyoming but it's more expensive to live there than Sheridan. If you want snow, Wyoming is a great start.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 PM

436 posts, read 1,637,252 times
IMO you may want to check out jobs first. I'm a Sr Software Engineer and there is not much demand for IT work in WY. For the jobs that are available it would be a substantial cut in pay for me. I know around Fort Collins/Loveland, CO there was more demand.

Good luck! (My first choice to live would be Buffalo/Sheridan - we spend several weeks a year there and will hopefully move there within a few years)

Dea

Old 08-11-2008, 01:10 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,741,747 times
I saw you were considering Montana also. Best of luck to you on your move to Wyo or Montana...

Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Yea I am looking at Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. I know CO has more job opportunities, but its also a lot more populated. I am just sick of the city life and the hot weather. I love the snow, the mountains and all outdoor activities. I have had a stressful life so far and just want to get away and relax...

Old 08-11-2008, 02:13 PM

436 posts, read 1,637,252 times
I know the feeling! I felt the same about CO. I'm actually looking into jobs I can do telecommuting. I think when I was looking I saw the most IT jobs in Cheyenne, WY and Bozeman, MT. Both are college towns so a little higher population than others. Still nowhere close to what you'd see in CO though. Your being a network engineer instead of software, I would think there's a little more opportunity for you. Hospitals, DNR, state/fed, etc would be some to check out.

Views in Casper, WY are really nice (I didn't like the town much).

Old 08-11-2008, 02:19 PM

540 posts, read 1,777,085 times
Check out Bozeman Montana also for snow and jobs. As long as there are colleges, and Hospitals, you can be sure that an IT job is there. I also know that a lot of IT jobs are present all over the front range of Colorado and the money they would pay you is substantially way higher than Wyoming, but if you are willing to sacrifice the pay, you get rewarded with being able to live in Wyoming or Montana and access to the beauty of those two states, which in my opinion and many others, is priceless. As long as you get to enjoy them that is.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. As far as work goes, I don't care about pay as long as I can have a roof over my head and some food on the table. I just want to get out of where I am at and just experience something new. Life is about enjoying as much as you can. I did a 24-day road road trip 2 years ago and drove out through the mountains and the plains and I just fell in love with the view and said to myself that one day soon I would pack up and head out there to live.

The job I have now pays a lot of money!! So I am going to pay off all my bills, save up, and head out there and see what happens!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:27 PM

264 posts, read 1,010,931 times
You can find a number of IT jobs in Gillette, WY. This past year it seemed like Gillette always had more snow on the ground than Sheridan or Buffalo did.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,486,649 times
I'm looking for snow too - SICK OF SUMMER!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!

MT & CO both have high state taxes - that is something to consider. MT doesn't have a sales tax so the residents pay ALL the tax that it takes to run the state. But Wyo is not a high-tech state. Cheyenne is a 2-year college town - the state universiy is in Laramie which usually has more snow than Cheyenne & I would live there in a heartbeat as compared to Chey-town. MUCH closer to mountain get-aways. Is higher elevation & gets pretty cold & both get windy. Even in these days of high gas costs there are a lot who commute from Chey or Laramie to Ft. Collins area. Good luck....!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming