Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 PM

21 posts, read 137,372 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I must commute between Cheyenne and Laramie for the job I was offered. I have to go back and forth depending on my work load. Hmmm, I didn't know the two towns are so far away from each other. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Here's my two cents. I've lived in or have spent a lot of time in some big cities.... Phoenix, L.A., Memphis, San Diego, Portland, etc.

I can say this with a straight face, and it is indisputable:
There are more hardened criminals in your average Phoenix apartment complex than there are in the entire state of Wyoming.
I'm sure Chicago isn't any different, if not worse.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Laramie is about 45 minutes from Cheyenne. You may want to consider living there...its a college town.

There are no ghettos in either town (referencing Chicago ghettos), there are a few areas where lower income people live (trailers). Cant escape homeless anywhere you go, but they are not as prevalent in WY.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllisa View Post
Unfortunately I must commute between Cheyenne and Laramie for the job I was offered. I have to go back and forth depending on my work load. Hmmm, I didn't know the two towns are so far away from each other. Thanks for the info!
Don't count on being able to make that commute during the winter months.

Due to I-80 road closures, you won't be able to do the drive at all.

Even in an average winter, the road can be pretty treacherous and hardly passable with blowing snow and drifts, which makes the "commute" very difficult.

You'd be much better off to live in the town where you must be for work.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:00 PM

43 posts, read 161,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllisa View Post
That is very unfortunate for you. I've wondered many times if I was going to die on the Summit. Have also had some friends that have been killed on that road in the winter. Also, winter is Sept. 20th to June 1st on the Summit. Seriously, if you're going to live in WY it is necessary to live within blocks of where you work and it's also a good idea to have a 4WD, a garage or a plug-in engine heater and some de-icer for your door locks and windows is a good idea also.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,556 times
Default ghetto or not

we just moved from fl for loss of employment there to cheyenne thanksgiving and we were just vandalized last night my husband old ragged car was broke into and the stole his cd's and face plate from stereo but colud not get his stereo out of dash so they tried to make his car undrivable but messing up emergency brake there have been a lot of car burglaries lately people need money we dont have s!!! never happened to us any where else but i do like it here there are a lot of parks and my school is great i enjoy the snow so im up in the air about things little this enconomy sucks everywhere s!!!!!!!!!! the gov.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,205 times
I just moved to Cheyenne about 6 months ago and my advice for finding a place in Cheyenne is that you really can't go wrong as long as you check the Wyoming sex offender registry site (if you have kids, do this for sure-I think you'll be suprised) and try to stay north of the refinery- it smells. P.s. I love Chicago, and you can find bad people and crime anywhere. I wouldn't worry about "Wyoming Gangbangers" locals will just laugh if you ask them. Too ironic. But you will find gang activity the closer you get to Denver. (naturally)

Old 10-28-2009, 03:34 PM

89 posts, read 253,046 times
+1 on the non-commute issue. Today, I-80 between Cheyenne and Laramie is closed for most of the way, including the one back road. Live where you work, unless you have the option to work from home if necessary. Because if you live in Cheyenne, you WILL find it necessary. Most employers understand that, but whether your's will have that option or not is a different story.

As far as gangs, well, Cheyenne DOES have gang activity. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. Now, how you define or compare gangs is an entirely different story. Are they like the ones in Chicago? Most likely not. Are they dangerous, most likely yes, to a point. We are seeing the beginnings of organized punk gangs, but there is an active, directed attempt to address it. We're not waiting until they are so well entrenched that it's "virtually" impossible to do anything about them. Does that mean we will ever get rid of them 100%? NO, and frankly I don't think anyone will. But we're not hiding our head in the sand and denying the problem exists either. The "gangs" in Wyoming are probably childs play for the most part compared to what you're used to. Don't sweat it.

The "ghetto's" of Cheyenne are still hands above a lot of middle-class neighborhoods in Chicago. I spent a year there in the 80's, and doubt they've changed much. Other than a few trailer parks, even the older parts of town are pretty nice, given their age.

Living here will be a universe away from Chicago. Come out and stay a while, but please, PLEASE, leave the Chicago attitude there. We don't need it, or WANT it. A lot of folks who came here, did it to GET AWAY from that kind of mess in the first place. We welcome everyone and give everyone a fair chance to be neighborly, but an attitude is the BEST way to get alienated real quick. And THAT, will take a long, long time to overcome.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Wyoming has Horse ghettos, Subdivision with 5 acre lots that each has a house a barn and 5 horses. Lot of State and federal Offices and other Bossiness shut down today In Cheyenne today because of the storm

Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
I'm not so sure about that statement Elkhunter. There is alot of hot debate whether or not the current gangbangers in town are real or wannabe punks.

The Tribune recently ran stories of the current gang situation in Cheyenne. Just this year at CFD, certain clothing and certain colors of clothing were not permitted into the park. This was to minimize any gang related disturbances.

Heck, I was sitting on my front porch in the Avenues during CFD, a black truck slowly rolls by and flashed me a gang sign. Real or just a punk? I have no idea, but kinda upsetting to see that in my neighborhood.

Personally, I believe the gang problem is real. Small, but real.... and can get out of control quick if CPD is not proactive.

mandK
its blown out of the water... seriously! Gang problem... define? Gang?
Most gangs are idiot kids trying to be cool and cow back when threatened by a baseball bat and the knowledge that people in Wyoming will shoot back.
Wyoming doesn't have the "gang" problems that metro areas have. They have "gangs" of idiots running around vandalizing, being idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming