Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM

21 posts, read 137,405 times

Advertisements

Is there a ghetto in Cheyenne Wyoming? I am moving from Chicago and I want to avoid all beggers, bums, homeless people and crime. What is life like in Cheyenne? I don't want any drama Moderator cut: please avoid blanket statements of "racism" please I'm a loner and just want to go to work and live at home in peace with no drama.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-14-2008 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,409 times
I don't blame you for feeling that way. I live east of Chicago and I hate Chicago. It's too big for me and I have no desire to live there nor go near it ever. I've been to Wyoming a few times and I'm drawn to the openness of it, and less people living in that state compared to others. I like my quietness and privacy also.
So if you are moving, I will encourage you. Wyoming would make a good fit for me too. Not meaning that all people of Wyoming are loners either. Wyoming seems to have a nice set of standards there and a better standard of life with no need for bright lights and big cities.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllisa View Post
Is there a ghetto in Cheyenne Wyoming? I am moving from Chicago and I want to avoid all beggers, bums, homeless people and crime. What is life like in Cheyenne? I don't want any drama. Moderator cut: please avoid blanket statements of "racism" please I'm a loner and just want to go to work and live at home in peace with no drama.
I don't think we have one of those Ghetto things you mention.

Actually, there are some older parts of Cheyenne and by that I mean 1900 homes. But they're clean, the yards are nice, mature trees and friendly people. Not the crime that you see in Chi Town.

Are there homeless, sure. But they're down around the tracks or by the business' along the interstate. Not many though. Racists? Yup, you'll find some, but not many. Cheyenne is a pretty diverse town. They look at a person as a worthy neighbor, not a color.

Won't find much drama in Cheyenne unless it's two guys argueing about the fishing being good or not. Or a couple people discussing the weather. Weather is a big topic there so pick up the lingo quick. haha

You won't find much for Gang activity in Cheyenne. Just ain't there.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-14-2008 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 137,405 times
Good! I have a 50K salary job offer in Laramie Wyoming. I may accept it!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
Quote:
well you didnt ask about the laramie ghettos.......but the info is about the same.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
I'm happy for you. Even though you asked about Cheyenne and the surroundings. There is nothing I like more then to research and advance some time to somebody that is playing games. You are welcome.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM

347 posts, read 1,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You won't find much for Gang activity in Cheyenne. Just ain't there.
I'm not so sure about that statement Elkhunter. There is alot of hot debate whether or not the current gangbangers in town are real or wannabe punks.

The Tribune recently ran stories of the current gang situation in Cheyenne. Just this year at CFD, certain clothing and certain colors of clothing were not permitted into the park. This was to minimize any gang related disturbances.

Heck, I was sitting on my front porch in the Avenues during CFD, a black truck slowly rolls by and flashed me a gang sign. Real or just a punk? I have no idea, but kinda upsetting to see that in my neighborhood.

Personally, I believe the gang problem is real. Small, but real.... and can get out of control quick if CPD is not proactive.

mandK

Old 08-13-2008, 08:28 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
I'm not sure what you consider 'ghetto' but both cheyenne and laramie have their share of several dilapidated trashy trailer parks.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM

46 posts, read 364,920 times
Moderator cut: rather than publicly call out someone in a post in front of everyone please use the report post feature

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-14-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 08:23 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
I have a few words of advice for you. If your job is in Laramie, move to Laramie.

I attend University here in Laramie. If I lived in Cheyenne and commuted, I'd miss quite a few days of classes during the winter. Winters here at 7200 feet are pretty harsh. The roads between Cheyenne and Laramie are frequently closed. We have blizzards and white-outs--you can't see three feet beyond the front of your vehicle.

Laramie is a charming town. My family and I love it here. We moved from Southern California and have never looked back.

We're only 40 minutes from Cheyenne, so if you're jonesing for Olive Garden or Home Depot, you can easily fill your needs, except during snowstorms of course.

Also, you said that you wanted to avoid bigotted people....Laramie, being a college town, is pretty diverse comparitively speaking. People here are pretty open minded and not inclined to judge a person on the basis of skin color or personal lifestyle.

Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming