Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 AM

15 posts, read 61,157 times

Advertisements

I've been planning to move to Wyoming for around 7 months. I was originally looking at Cheyenne, but am having a hard time finding a job in my field (I'm a law enforcement dispatcher). We recently got a message at work on the law enforcement network (NCIC) about the Uinta Cty Sheriff's office looking for dispatchers and deputies. I've been searching for information about the town, and am not coming up with much.

I guess first I should tell you a little about myself. I'm 28, single, and currently live in Kansas. My town has around 122,000 people, and I'm definately looking for something smaller. I'm not really into the bar scene, enjoy community activities, and a fairly quiet way of life. I'm not overly religious myself, but have no problem with people who are, as long as they don't try to cram it down my throat.

I have quite a few questions about the town. I have searched on the forum, and while things like weather don't change, the housing market does, and most of the information seems to be a year or more old. So, onto the questions.

1. What is the current housing market like? I'm looking for something in the 100-140k range, I don't need much, 2-3 bedrooms and a garage.

2. Activities. Like I said, I'm not into the bar scene, but I don't want to be bored out of my mind. What does Evanston have for things to do? Like a community center, museums, art galleries, libraries, etc.

3. Weather. I'm coming from Kansas, land of heat, humidity, and weather that changes by the hour. From what I can find the weather in the summer stays below 80, and in the 0-15 degree range in the winter. So, my question is, how bad does it really get in the winter? How much snow do you get in an average storm? How often are roads closed down?

4. Is a 4WD vehicle absolutely necessary? I have a compact Nissan in good condition right now, but since I'm planning to buy a house, I'd like to avoid buying a new vehicle for a couple of years.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll probably have more questions later.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. -Dawn

Oh, I do have one more question, how the heck do you pronounce Uinta? It would be embarrassing to work for a department I can't pronounce. hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Can anyone help me?

Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,203,222 times
I don't know much about Evanston other than it can get snowy & blowy in the wintertime. As long as you aren't going out into the boonies for anything (hunting, etc.) or spending lots of time commuting places you shouldn't need a 4 wheel drive, though. Many people in Wyo don't drive 4 wheel drives. If there is a lot of snow your car may be a little low to the ground, though. I don't know how that town is about clearing snow away quickly. Evanston is fairly close to Salt Lake City where there is plenty of things to do. I don't know what there is to do in Evanston. I do know that there are quite a few Mormons there, which isn't a bad thing and I'm sure there are plenty of other religious influences there. I know nothing about the housing market, etc. The one thing I can tell you is that Uinta is pronounced You-In-Ta.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I don't know much about Evanston other than it can get snowy & blowy in the wintertime. As long as you aren't going out into the boonies for anything (hunting, etc.) or spending lots of time commuting places you shouldn't need a 4 wheel drive, though. Many people in Wyo don't drive 4 wheel drives. If there is a lot of snow your car may be a little low to the ground, though. I don't know how that town is about clearing snow away quickly. Evanston is fairly close to Salt Lake City where there is plenty of things to do. I don't know what there is to do in Evanston. I do know that there are quite a few Mormons there, which isn't a bad thing and I'm sure there are plenty of other religious influences there. I know nothing about the housing market, etc. The one thing I can tell you is that Uinta is pronounced You-In-Ta.
Thank you very much.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,316 times
Default Us too!

How timely, we are also contemplating a move to the Evanston area. We passed through there on a vacation to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and it looked to be a very nice town.

We are a family of three, partner, self and 12 year old son (in 7th grade). The 411 on my partner and I and our "skill set" is as follows:
He: 42 YO, 20+ years experience in residential/auto glass business, also has experience in auto and boat repair and light construction. Is able to drive forklift, backhoe, etc. (though doesn't have a CDL at present).
She: 44 YO, 20+ years experience in travel and tourism in Western National Parks, emphasis on hotel and tour sales. Also has experience in radio, TV and internet marketing as copywriter, video editor, disc jockey and voice-over. Type 120+ wpm, 10-key touch, computer literate, etc.
Both of us are also experienced musicians (he plays guitar, I play bass, guitar and keyboards, both sing), having played with several rock and country bands, and as a duo.

We are aware that a goodly number of the town's residents are LDS. We're not, but we don't have a problem with that as our present community is demographically similar. We prefer small town life (we're living it now) and are OK with cold winters. We don't need or want a big or fancy house (2 br would be sufficient), but we do have a dog so would want something with a yard. We want our son to receive a good education in an atmosphere where smart kids are not pressured to "dumb down" in order to fit in (that's a problem where we're at right now).

Thoughts?? Thanks a bunch!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,316 times
bump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming