Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Anyone remember paying less than $1 for a gallon of gas??? I sure do....the lowest I've ever paid for gas was $0.58/gallon!
yes.. when I started driving in the mid-80's it was around $0.98/ gallon.. and I remember when I was in college in the early 90's when it spiked to $1.47/gallon and we all thought we were being robbed!

Do you remember the Carter admin. energy crisis (high gas prices and gas shortage)?? If so, do you think today's energy crisis is equal to or lesser/greater than that time, when we saw lines for gas and major increases in price..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:45 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekape View Post
Part of the tax in Oregon, though, goes to someone else pumping your gas for you (for those who don't know...it's ILLEGAL to pump your own gas in the state of Oregon)!!! The year we lived out there, we got into trouble because we started to pump our own gas....the attendent freaked out and came running out of the building like we were going to blow up or something! Apparently, too many stupid people that live there, drove off with the pump still in their tank and broke lines (that, and they wanted to do a workforce investment and provide jobs for the kazillion people that live there)....hence the higher taxes.

But I agree with you...there is still something up in regards to our gas prices. It's all about greed!

Anyone remember paying less than $1 for a gallon of gas??? I sure do....the lowest I've ever paid for gas was $0.58/gallon!
Yeah you can't pump your own gas. I didn't learn how to pump gas till I moved out to Wyo a couple years ago.

It is really stupid, they say it gives Oregon jobs. I say it's stupid. I used to hate some pot smoking weirdo to pump my gas, that is who work those jobs in Oregon half the time and it was scary sometimes... There has been a vote on it a couple times and they always vote it down for some dumb reason I don't know hahaha

But yeah that is part of the reason it is expensive in Oregon also...

My question is we are pumping our own gas here, low tax, yet still pay close to Oregon's prices? Makes no sense to me at all! we should be at least 40-50 cents cheaper like we always have been in the past... something isn't adding up to me other than greed/profit

Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM

357 posts, read 1,613,990 times
Default It isn't as bad as the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Do you remember the Carter admin. energy crisis (high gas prices and gas shortage)?? If so, do you think today's energy crisis is equal to or lesser/greater than that time, when we saw lines for gas and major increases in price..?
The difference this time vs. last time:

The energy crisis during the mid-70's was a result of the Arab oil embargo against the US in retaliation for the US support of Israel during the 1973 war.

At that time, especially on the east coast, you couldn't get gasoline & diesel fuel, even if you wanted to pay the price for fuel. There were not only lines, there was rationing - there were maximum amounts you could purchase at any one stop, there were even/odd rationing days, and may stations would simply run out of gasoline by noon. They'd take their deliveries in the evening and they were being strung out by the distributors - sometimes our local stations received only every other load they used to.

The other thing is that the price of fuel went up much more sharply than in this just-past run-up. Part of this was due to the scarcity of fuel, part of this was due to the collapse in the value of the dollar as we left the Bretton Woods agreement on currency values and the abandoned the last part of the gold standard in 1973. As a result, we had high unemployment AND high inflation, which conventional macro-economists will tell you (with a straight face) cannot happen. Even today, the Federal Reserve refuses to believe inflation is a problem until unemployment rates go under 5%.

Today's fuel "crisis" is caused partly by an increase in international demand for fuel, especially diesel fuel, and partly by rampant speculation in commodities (all commodities, not just oil - but ag commodities, metals, you name it). But there are no shortages - if you pay the price demanded by the market, you can get pretty much all you want. There is no rationing

If you look at the commodities markets since July of this year, you see that commodities prices are collapsing - rapidly - as hedge funds and so on are pulling out of commodities as fast as they can.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:07 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,106 times
Here it is $3.54/gallon for regular petrol....which elated me after paying close to $5.00/gallon throughout the summer. We do not have Loaf-n-Jugs here, and I do miss the Smith's card discount...I recommend getting one for anyone who doesn't have one...that $.03 a gallon discount helps.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Here it is $3.54/gallon for regular petrol....which elated me after paying close to $5.00/gallon throughout the summer. We do not have Loaf-n-Jugs here, and I do miss the Smith's card discount...I recommend getting one for anyone who doesn't have one...that $.03 a gallon discount helps.
Sorry to hear there is such a big difference! Today I paid $2.46 at L&J! What a change from a month or so ago!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,079 times
Paid $2.74 in Buffalo and $2.47 in Gillette today.

I remember 12 years ago when I paid $.99/gallon. *sigh*

Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
paid $2.29/gallon in Moorhead MN today, though it's still $2.43 where I live (about 46 miles instate)

I wish the US would start drilling soon.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
From the time I got gas & posted earlier today til this evening gas in Gillette went down to as low as $2.40 at L&J. Glad I only put $10 in at noon! I'll fill up tomorrow before heading to Billings for the weekend!!! Maybe it'll drop another few pennies between now & tomorrow afternoon....

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM

25 posts, read 90,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDave View Post
The difference this time vs. last time:

The energy crisis during the mid-70's was a result of the Arab oil embargo against the US in retaliation for the US support of Israel during the 1973 war.

At that time, especially on the east coast, you couldn't get gasoline & diesel fuel, even if you wanted to pay the price for fuel. There were not only lines, there was rationing - there were maximum amounts you could purchase at any one stop, there were even/odd rationing days, and may stations would simply run out of gasoline by noon. They'd take their deliveries in the evening and they were being strung out by the distributors - sometimes our local stations received only every other load they used to.
That was all a bunch of crap. It was all done by the oil company's to jack up the prices. They cut the refineries back to 5 days a week from 7. I know this because we went past some on our way to Delaware salt water fishing. The tankers were lined up in the bay waiting for a place to unload. We were worried about having the gas to make the round trip, which was not a problem, because in Del. they were filling tanks no questions asked. Thats why they (the oil cos.) make billions in profits every year.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:38 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
My question is we are pumping our own gas here, low tax, yet still pay close to Oregon's prices? Makes no sense to me at all! we should be at least 40-50 cents cheaper like we always have been in the past... something isn't adding up to me other than greed/profit
I think it has to do with the oil here....I know when I lived in Wisconsin, the refinery was right there...and we paid more than towns 30 miles down the road! It's a good research question eh?

Gas was $2.40 here.....keeps goin' down....LOVING it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming