Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 17,152 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We were seriously looking at moving to Cheyenne within the next year, however today I went to [url=http://www.familywatchdog.us/]National Sex Offender Registry[/url] and found out that there is a HUGE amount of registered sex offenders living in the area.

I then did a google search and found out that they passed a few bills last year, so that the pedophiles won't be coming to Wyoming for a safe haven since previously Wyoming had, had the most lenient laws for them.

I wanted to move to Wyoming because I thought it would give me more peace of mind about my kids being safe.

How is everyone in Wyoming dealing with this? Are things starting to change since they passed the bills last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 05:43 PM

16 posts, read 71,593 times
As far as your kids being safe...i thought that every state had its sex offenders . Maybe i am misunderstanding you? I dont know of anywhere where kids will be completely safe. Someone else might know more about those bills that were passed than i do.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 17,152 times
There was a big influx of offenders moving to the state in the last few years because there was little regulation. That is why they passed like 3 new bills in 2007. I'm surprised you are not aware of this. I live outside of Denver and we have nowhere near the amount of sexual offenders as Cheyenne does! It's just kinda scary. I was reading on another forum where a lady from Cheyenne said that there were 3 offenders living on her street. Maybe you should look at the previous link to see which ones are living near you so you can better keep your kiddos safe!

Lax laws draw sex offenders to Wyo.

February 21st, 2007 CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - Wyoming, with its wide-open spaces and crisp, clear vistas, is starting to worry it has made itself too attractive in one respect: Convicted sex offenders from out of state are moving in, apparently because the laws are less restrictive.
"We don't want to become the playground for sex offenders," Attorney General Pat Crank said. "But there must be something that sex offenders are seeing. Otherwise they wouldn't be moving here in the kind of numbers that we seem to be seeing."
Wyoming is home to about 1,200 known sex offenders. That is not a large number for such a sparsely populated state. But law enforcement officials and legislators are worried because 56 percent of those offenders moved to Wyoming after being convicted somewhere else.
Afraid that the word is out among ex-convicts that Wyoming has some of the nation's loosest restrictions on sex offenders, state legislators are rushing to tighten the laws, and they are meeting little resistance.
"We're going to make it so there's no place for them to hide," vowed Republican Rep. Ed Buchanan, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
While other states often prohibit sex offenders from living near schools, daycare centers or other places with children, Wyoming has no such laws.
"They can live right next to a school if they want to. They can live in a home with children if they want to," said Laramie County sheriff's Sgt. Linda Gesell.
Also, unlike many other states, Wyoming does not require people convicted of indecent exposure or sexual battery to register as sex offenders. In addition, ex-convicts who are deemed low- and medium-risk offenders are not listed on the state's publicly accessible Web site.
Gary Smith, a 29-year-old cook in Cheyenne, left Wyoming for Oklahoma after serving about four years in prison for having sex with a 15-year-old girl. A few months later, a neighbor posted fliers in Smith's trailer park showing his criminal record, which had been taken from an Oklahoma Web site on registered sex offenders.
Smith and his wife quickly headed back to Wyoming. Although he is a registered sex offender here, he is not listed on public databases because authorities do not consider him at high risk of committing another crime. Smith is glad the state does not call attention to his conviction.

[url]http://www.michigandaily.com/content/lax-laws-draw-sex-offenders-wyo[/url]

Old 10-25-2008, 03:43 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnea731 View Post
Hi,
We were seriously looking at moving to Cheyenne within the next year, however today I went to National Sex Offender Registry and found out that there is a HUGE amount of registered sex offenders living in the area.

I then did a google search and found out that they passed a few bills last year, so that the pedophiles won't be coming to Wyoming for a safe haven since previously Wyoming had, had the most lenient laws for them.

I wanted to move to Wyoming because I thought it would give me more peace of mind about my kids being safe.

How is everyone in Wyoming dealing with this? Are things starting to change since they passed the bills last year?
I have four kids, I live in Casper....and we have our fair share up here. I don't have any issues with their safety. All sex offenders have to register and cannot live within a certain proximity to any school (and we have a TON of schools)....not being naive and thinking that all offenders DO register....but as long as we teach our kids good practices and keep an eye on them, they'll be fine. Douglas, WY actually has the highest concentration of sex offenders per capita in the state (funny considering that the cop training school [Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy] is there).

You can google the site, but the state of wyoming has a sex offender registry list where you can look up any of them per county/city and it gives a picture and their currently registered address. I'll try to find it and post it here.....

here ya go:

http://wysors.dci.wyo.gov/sor/search.htm

Old 10-25-2008, 07:50 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,387 times
I don't bother subscribing to our local paper as they don't report much anyways, so I haven't heard that they are finally tightening up the laws in WY concerning sex offenders. All I have to say is it's about time they did.

However all the laws in the world are not going to keep a sexual perp. from doing their dirty deeds. So it dosen't matter what laws are in any state the best thing that we as parents can do is teach our children not to talk to or interact with strangers. Teach them that if ANYONE makes them ever feel uncomfortable to tell someone like a parent, teacher or police officer IMMEDIATELY. There are many books out there that can help have these kinds of conversations with our children if you don't know where to start or what to say. The best thing we as parents can do for our children is give them the right to say NO!! to anyone who they feel uncomfortable with.

Also we need to stop dressing our kiddos up as eye candy. All of those short shorts, mid drift shirts and skimpy skirts need to be tossed and more apropriate clothing should be worn. It dosen't take much to make a sexual perp. a lovesick puppy, but when you show them more than should be shown it's even harder for them to control their urges.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:49 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,102,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I don't bother subscribing to our local paper as they don't report much anyways, so I haven't heard that they are finally tightening up the laws in WY concerning sex offenders. All I have to say is it's about time they did.

However all the laws in the world are not going to keep a sexual perp. from doing their dirty deeds. So it dosen't matter what laws are in any state the best thing that we as parents can do is teach our children not to talk to or interact with strangers. Teach them that if ANYONE makes them ever feel uncomfortable to tell someone like a parent, teacher or police officer IMMEDIATELY. There are many books out there that can help have these kinds of conversations with our children if you don't know where to start or what to say. The best thing we as parents can do for our children is give them the right to say NO!! to anyone who they feel uncomfortable with.

Also we need to stop dressing our kiddos up as eye candy. All of those short shorts, mid drift shirts and skimpy skirts need to be tossed and more apropriate clothing should be worn
. It dosen't take much to make a sexual perp. a lovesick puppy, but when you show them more than should be shown it's even harder for them to control their urges.
You are so right in these statements. I am certainly not condoning the actions of a sexual deviant, but I feel there are instances when the parents should hold some of the responsibility also. I have a niece who is 13 but looks as though she is 20, from the makeup to the clothing she wears and her mother allows her to be so only to think it is humorous when her daughter is 'hit' on by an adult. She's been like this since she was 10.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 AM

330 posts, read 1,095,530 times
What really makes me sick about sexual predators, is that they CANNOT be rehabilitated. They are turned back out into society with a slap on the wrist and told to control their urges. Some places make them have a sign (or a pumpkin) in their yard that warns children to stay away....but that's only when they comply.

I'm taking a very interesting upper division college elective right now for criminal justice called "Deviant Behavior".....learning about some of these behaviors (from sexual deviance, to murder, to corporate corruption) really makes one stop and think.

But as stated above (and by me previously as well), it all comes down to us as parents teaching our children and KNOWING where they are. Just giving a teen (or tween) a cell phone and letting 'em loose at the mall is NOT being a parent (nor is it responsible). And as mentioned above...the way girls dress these days is dispicable....my daugters won't be caught dead in some of this trash that is being sold as "clothes". Of course, they see their friends wearing it and want to buy it....but I am firm on what they are allowed to wear. (Unfortunately, it seems there are a lot of sodomistic sexual predators out there who are targeting our boys).....

What it comes down to is not living your life in fear. It gets us no where. Be responsible parents and teach our children to be responsible citizens growing up.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,792 times
Parents need to take more drastic action as well, if any of my children were molested by such a freak I would make sure that the scumbag would never be seen from again. If the government cannot or will not do the job then the people must. It is my G-d given right to defend myself and my family and my community.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Parents need to take more drastic action as well, if any of my children were molested by such a freak I would make sure that the scumbag would never be seen from again. If the government cannot or will not do the job then the people must. It is my G-d given right to defend myself and my family and my community.
I'm with you all the way. Sad thing is though is the government wouldn't see it as self defense and you would spend more time behind bars getting rid of the scumbag than the scumbag would have.

I think they should let the parents, family and friends of a sexual assult victim or muder victim have 15 mins. alone with the perp in a small room. If the perp is still alive when they are done then they go to prison for the rest of their lives, if they are not then there is a burial and that is that.

Problem is, we have way to many laws that protect the perps.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekape View Post
What really makes me sick about sexual predators, is that they CANNOT be rehabilitated. They are turned back out into society with a slap on the wrist and told to control their urges. Some places make them have a sign (or a pumpkin) in their yard that warns children to stay away....but that's only when they comply.

I'm taking a very interesting upper division college elective right now for criminal justice called "Deviant Behavior".....learning about some of these behaviors (from sexual deviance, to murder, to corporate corruption) really makes one stop and think.

But as stated above (and by me previously as well), it all comes down to us as parents teaching our children and KNOWING where they are. Just giving a teen (or tween) a cell phone and letting 'em loose at the mall is NOT being a parent (nor is it responsible). And as mentioned above...the way girls dress these days is dispicable....my daugters won't be caught dead in some of this trash that is being sold as "clothes". Of course, they see their friends wearing it and want to buy it....but I am firm on what they are allowed to wear. (Unfortunately, it seems there are a lot of sodomistic sexual predators out there who are targeting our boys).....

What it comes down to is not living your life in fear. It gets us no where. Be responsible parents and teach our children to be responsible citizens growing up.

Amen!! To many parents are handing their kids a cell phone and expect that to keep their kids safe. The best way to keep them safe is to KNOW where they are, WHO they are with and have a set time for them to be home.

As far as the clothing, there will be a lot of folks that will argue that it's what is available and they have no choice in buying them. I say we do have a choice in what our kids wear and if the clothing manufacturers won't supply more apropriate clothing then find an alternative like sew clothes yourself. If we were to boycott the clothing that is hanging on the racks then eventually the manufacturers will have no choice in creating the clothes we deem apropriate because the dept. stores will be putting pressure on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming