Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,355 times

Advertisements

Hello,

With the talk of wildlife in/near Jackson, I am wondering whether there are any parts of Jackson (in nature) that is safe for one to take a few miles' walk alone (aside from the main street)? While I can always organize groups for hikings but when I want to take a nature walk, just by myself, is there any area that is safe from wildlife?

Also, BTW, how do all those billionairs of Jackson handle the wildlife danger? I can't imagine that they just take their chances or always bring a troupe with them when going out for a walk.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 02:19 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
IMO, your concerns about "safety" with wildlife in the area are way blown out of reality.

It simply doesn't present a problem of any real proportion. I'd be more worried about somebody's domestic dog acting aggressively toward a stranger in it's "territory" than wildlife in the region.

If you want to take a solo "nature walk" for some miles ... do so. If you're really anxious about scaring up some predator that wants to take on a human, be fairly noisy and conspicuous ... most wild predators would rather not take on a creature your size and will hide or leave the area you're in. That goes for bears, cats, coyotes, and snakes. Most will only bother you if they perceive you to be an immediate threat to their young or you're stepping on them.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:20 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
Sunsprit is exactly right...and to be blunt, your fears are utterly irrational. Just be aware of your surroundings, it truly is that easy. I certainly wouldn't go hiking about with an MP3 player jammed in my ears. By having these irrational fears, you are robbing yourself of some exquisite opportunities to see Madame Nature in her finest.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:03 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
I agree with HighlandLady and sunspirit. I have logged many a solo mile walking in the "wilderness". There are similiar rules to walking in some big cities. Be aware of your environment and watch where you step.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
An example for you, wheregirl....I hiked across Wyoming, alone and unarmed but for a hiking stick. The encounters I had with wildlife were a couple of snakes I disturbed and I gave them a wide berth - they went their own way, I went mine; and a badger gave me a bit of a run when I ventured unknowingly too close to her nest. I'd be more afraid of hiking about in a large city than I ever was in all my hikes in Wyoming - Jackson included.
Where I reside now, I am armed with a wee bit more of hiking stick, but I still hike when I can and enjoy the immense freedom it gives me.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:41 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,324 times
Default For billionaires, money isn't a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Also, BTW, how do all those billionairs of Jackson handle the wildlife danger? I can't imagine that they just take their chances or always bring a troupe with them when going out for a walk.

Thanks!
The way the rich and trendy sold this problem is by buying the finest hand-cannon money can possibly buy: A Freedom Arms revolver.

Here's their catalog:

http://www.freedomarms.com/FA-2005catalog.pdf (broken link)

"Freedom" is a small town on the WY/ID border a bit south of Jackson. It is called "Freedom" because the fella who founded the town moved across the border from ID to WY in order to be able to have more than one wife. How having more than one woman in the house pestering you with a "honey do" list equates to "freedom" really baffles me, but there you are.

I'm suggesting this all very much tongue-in-cheek of course. Freedom Arms does make very high-priced (and extraordinary quality) firearms, but most of the billionaires in Jackson wouldn't know a good quality handgun from a piece of crap like a Raven.

Seriously tho, if you use some common sense, you won't have any problems. If you do something really goofy, like getting between Momma and Junior, well.... you're on your own.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Most of us have "fear of the unknown" at sometime in our lives. I think if you went on a few hikes with a small group you will see how safe it really is.

I would also suggest going up to the GTNP Visitors Center in Moose just north of Jackson and talk to the rangers/naturlists and I am sure they will help you understand the wildlife thing and give you a better sense of perspective.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 PM

11 posts, read 20,304 times
Wheregirl are you still at this. Your other post a few days back was the samething. The best thing for you would be a tread mill with a nature sounds cd playing in the background, and paint trees on the walls around you. Now you are safe from mountain lions, bear, and west nile.

kiotes

Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiotes View Post
Wheregirl are you still at this. Your other post a few days back was the samething. The best thing for you would be a tread mill with a nature sounds cd playing in the background, and paint trees on the walls around you. Now you are safe from mountain lions, bear, and west nile.

kiotes
thats about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming