Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 01:08 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,604 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering retiring in Wyoming but on a tight budget. We are very conservative people that want a place on a little acreage for us and our horses in a more remote area that is reasonably priced. Preferably an area with less severe winters and wind. This rat race we are currently in with "progressive" ideas forced down our throats is driving us nuts. We just want to be left alone and respect others. Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:25 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
"tight budget" .... is going to be in conflict with the rest of your requirements.

You can choose the SE corner of the state, where ag/ranching is still the prevailing activity in the small town areas, and housing is inexpensive on a modest acreage. However, it's going to be windy with severe winter inclement weather patterns, and this is a tornado belt area of the state.

The SW corner may also fit your needs, but places like Rock Springs are somewhat pricey for what they offer. Being close to a large regional recreation area & lake affects the local housing market.

You can choose the NE, NCentral, and NW areas of the state with much more pricey land and housing costs, but you'll be in a much less "windy" area of the state. Note, however, that winters can still be long and severe with very cold weather for months at a time. You'll be in more mountainous terrian with more trees for most of the region.

As a general observation, anywhere that there's extractive industry activity, now in a "boom" cycle throughout the state, land/housing & costs of living are expensive and the towns are still fairly remote.

With the exception of Jackson, I think you'll find your other requirements well met.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
Try looking into the Big Horn Basin, which is west of the Big Horn mountains. With the exception of Cody, I think property there is fairly reasonable. You would sure get your "small town" feel and although you never know how winter is going to be in Wyoming, I think it is much less harsh there than in a lot of the state. I grew up in the Manderson/Basin area so I guess I'm a little partial to that part of the state in a way. Cody is a "tourist" town, being so close to Yellowstone, so it is a lot more costly to live there. Do some research on the area & if you have questions let me know. I still have family in Basin to ask if I can't answer questions of "current" nature!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:54 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
We are seriously considering retiring in Wyoming but on a tight budget. We are very conservative people that want a place on a little acreage for us and our horses in a more remote area that is reasonably priced. Preferably an area with less severe winters and wind. This rat race we are currently in with "progressive" ideas forced down our throats is driving us nuts. We just want to be left alone and respect others. Thanks for your suggestions.
You might consider Big Horn County, particularly the town of Basin. Also, Lovell, and the outskirts of Powell in Park County might give you some options. You can read about Big Horn County at Bighorn County As far as less severe winters/wind, by Wyoming standards there may be some areas that aren't as severe, but by a newcomer's standards, you will need to be prepared for 'real' winters and more wind than many places around the country. Where are you coming from?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:11 PM

269 posts, read 829,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
The basin would be a good choice right now-the critters-horses as you know take a lot of care an upkeep-that can be very expensive-acreage will cost more then a tight budget will handle-especially in the basin where small tracts of land might be harder to find. suggest you guys find a town you like an find a boarding place for the nags-always worked for me-until I sold the hayburners Good luck an you will be happy in wyo-we pretty much keep out of other peoples business and like just about anyone

Old 11-05-2008, 08:26 PM

144 posts, read 627,939 times
I'd recommend the Goshen and Platte County area. Land is plentiful and reasonably priced, and the lower elevation here makes for milder winters, but warmer summers. Agriculture, not mining, is the basis of our economy and I think the values of the people would be compatible with yours.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Powell or Lovell (High prairie, Mtns / forest reasonably close, fairly mild winters, tho cold, summer irrigation may be possible) May be a cheaper place to keep your horses. Access to Big Horn range and MT is a real plus.

or

the eastern edge, Newcastle to Pine Bluffs (lower prairie, nearest Mtns in SD, windy winters, lots of open space, but probably less 'smaller' acreage's available, but you will need a BIG spot for horses...)

You should probably try to find an existing place rather than build your own. That is not a cheap way to go, lots of things lurking to empty your wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming