Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:01 PM

362 posts, read 919,345 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of people in this country(it seems) just DO NOT realize how GOOD and BLESSED we are in the United States of America. We have SO much of EVERYTHING. WE want for NOTHING compared to most of the rest of the world and STILL we yearn for MORE, MORE, MORE. WE are our own worst enemy. We blame society and others for our doings. There is less and less "PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY" among individuals. Add a heavy dose of GREED to this and we are where we are in our country today. It's all very simple..............if people LIVE WITHIN THEIR MEANS, they would not be in the mess some are in. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Congrats on the offer on your home GeorgiaWY I hope it works out for you!

I'm guilty of the "want it now" syndrome as well.. in all of my adult life I have wanted a dishwasher, and 2 summers ago my husband and I found one at an auction for $40... but it took him a year and a half to get it put in (though if my nagging had worked it would have been sooner) Now that I have it, I'm quite thankful for that small blessing, and I'm sure my husband is just happy not to hear me grump each time I did dishes by hand! Thank God for what I do have..and thank Him for any future blessings as well, whatever and whenever they may be!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 AM

330 posts, read 1,095,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Just a quick thought, but do you think our pioneers wondered if Life would get any better for them? And here we are today, wondering if it is going to get any worse. I'm guilty of that. It's sad in a way, I mean, our outlook on things, but our pioneers learned to appreciate what they had, not saying we all don't do that, but I think we've learned to be less patient and expect things now. Maybe we do have to lose some things we take for granted in order to appreciate it more.
I have a personal example of that. My wife and I had an apartment, no garage of course, we had to always warm our cars up, wipe the snow off them, carry groceries in from a distance, then we finally bought a house with a one car garage(she gets it, not me), so we've been in our house a few years now and thoughts of having a two car garage would make me happy, but I need to realize I should be content with what I have and it's not so bad letting my car warm up or taking groceries in from the street.
So, I must confess, I'm guilty of the "I want it now" syndrome. I'm trying but hopefully you all are too, if you have the same mentality as the majority these days. We got spoiled didn't we?
I guess when I was referring to the "gimme now" attitude...I meant that people are buying things on credit/credit cards that they know that they cannot afford......from houses, to cars, to jewelry.....instead of waiting a few months and buying it cash (obviously, most people can't afford to buy a house cash...but one can save up a considerable down payment!) Of course, we'd all like the dishwasher (mine are almost 12...and they hate it! LOL) or the two car garage....but it's the matter of thinking through our wants/desires and placing them against our needs...and then making a decision (hopefully a SMART one!) that best fits our situation.

I'd like a TV again....but I'm a cheap-o and refuse to pay $600 for a new one! (and the old ones won't work with our antennae after February 2009)...or so the commercials say! LOL

Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM

56 posts, read 157,719 times
I see the same thing, but I'd say it isn't "outsiders" bringing in their money or their values with them. With the boom Wyoming has had in certain areas, the locals are getting very wealthy from their "rentals" their homes, their services, the small businesses, etc. It's the locals buying Cadillac Escalades and "mimicking" the bigger cities.. I see women in Casper carrying Coach bags and it makes me laugh, those are soooo out in the other states, it's what the "new rich" carry.. ie nouveau riche.. true old money and wealth, or no wealth just education and class wouldn't be caught dead flashing money around.

Blame your locals. They're ripping off those moving here that need rentals, homes, services etc.. It's like the Wild West "boom." Just my observations from being in Casper.

When the money dies out, I think a lot of that will go away as people won't be able to afford those things and it will catch up. People with an education (and/or proper upbringing) aren't going to go out after getting their first CBM job or being able to charge double for the nasty trailer they rent out to someone trying to move into town.. and get a gigantic RV, plasma TV, etc.

Ahh.. fools and their money are soon parted and we are going to see A LOT of that soon! serves them right.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
...I see women in Casper carrying Coach bags and it makes me laugh, those are soooo out in the other states, it's what the "new rich" carry.. ie nouveau riche.. true old money and wealth, or no wealth just education and class wouldn't be caught dead flashing money around....
LOL the Fashion Police have spoken!! I almost can't stop laughing about it!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
The vast majority of people in this country(it seems) just DO NOT realize how GOOD and BLESSED we are in the United States of America. We have SO much of EVERYTHING. WE want for NOTHING compared to most of the rest of the world and STILL we yearn for MORE, MORE, MORE. WE are our own worst enemy. We blame society and others for our doings. There is less and less "PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY" among individuals. Add a heavy dose of GREED to this and we are where we are in our country today. It's all very simple..............if people LIVE WITHIN THEIR MEANS, they would not be in the mess some are in. Simple.
You couldn't have summed it up any better, I totally agree

Last edited by Kristynwy; 11-16-2008 at 10:15 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 07:00 AM

330 posts, read 1,095,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
I see women in Casper carrying Coach bags and it makes me laugh
Blame your locals. They're ripping off those moving here that need rentals, homes, services etc.. It's like the Wild West "boom." Just my observations from being in Casper.
Ahh.. fools and their money are soon parted and we are going to see A LOT of that soon! serves them right.
ACTUALLY...it's Coach/Prada knock-offs from the store "Ross"....thank you very much!!! LOL DO you honestly think there's anyone here who could (or WOULD) pay that kind of money for a designer purse (okay, I know one person..but she just moved here from a big city in the South and she really does dress like that!)

And I wouldn't say that anyone here is "ripping off those moving here". It's called supply and demand. It's no worse than what people are charging for rentals in Sheridan/Buffalo/Gillette....in fact, in most cases, houses/rentals are MUCH cheaper HERE! Casper isn't that bad. I rather enjoy it (except for our upcoming winter winds!)

Old 11-15-2008, 09:29 AM

13 posts, read 34,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
The vast majority of people in this country(it seems) just DO NOT realize how GOOD and BLESSED we are in the United States of America. We blame society and others for our doings. There is less and less PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY among individuals.
So true Heit.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:37 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
I would have bet the local loyal Conservatives would all be wanting to get their own Versace handbag like Sarah Palin got for her seven year old daughter courtesy of the GOP.

I'll start paying better attention to what I wear when I come to Casper. I'll be the one carrying the bag you won't see anywhere else. I designed mine and a leather artist friend made it for me in exchange for some of my handmade tilework.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:30 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
My wife forbids me to go shopping with her if I have overfaded/holes in my jeans. And I have to have a clean shirt again, no holes or faded real bad. She says the way I dress reflects on her! And then there is the rules about what your wearing and if you get in a car wreck,right?
On the bust coming. I dunno, someone on here wrote about the suppliers keeping up the price of goods many years after the bust. And us paying through the nose for stuff. I think this will happen again, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming