U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:49 AM

88 posts, read 286,634 times

Advertisements

Do any of you register vehicles? If so can I get a link or a file that has all the process needed for registering in WY? By this I mean what documents, copies of things and such. Thanks.

Gib
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 AM

254 posts, read 837,007 times
You'll need to know which county you'll be registering in. Then you go to the County Treasurer's office for license plates and registration in that particular county seat. For titles and liens you go to the County Clerk.

Here's the Wyoming Department of Transportation site:
Welcome to Wyoming Department of Transportation - WYDOT (http://dot.state.wy.us/Default.jsp?sCode=vehtr - broken link)

And here, in case you need it, is the Wyoming Statutes regarding motor vehicles in all the legalese....
Wyoming Statutes

Old 11-15-2008, 06:53 AM

329 posts, read 1,035,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibs07GTcpe View Post
Do any of you register vehicles? If so can I get a link or a file that has all the process needed for registering in WY? By this I mean what documents, copies of things and such. Thanks.

Gib
Keep in mind that we register annually (and it's usually a fairly nice chunk of money, unless you drive a POS)....which seems like a buttload to pay (but our roads are generally very well maintained). It's based on a % of your vehicles purchase price and how old it is, etc.

I thought it was great when I lived out in Oregon because it was around $50/two-year per vehicle to register.....but then again...they have tons of people. There are only 500,000 people in the entire state of Wyoming....so we have to make it up somewhere....

You'll have to have insurance (and proof of it), and your title (or lien)....and DON'T go to the courthouse to do it on the last day of the month (because that's when it seems EVERYONE else is doing it as well!!)

THe website links posted above will give you the best/most accurate info....or you can call the county courthouse for whichever county you'll be moving to. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 AM

11,505 posts, read 49,927,417 times
Wyoming counties charge several fees for registering and licensing your vehicle every year which is based upon the Original Manufacturer's List Price for the vehicle.

It does not matter how much you paid for the vehicle, that only affects the sales tax you must pay on the purchase. Again, the annual registration fees are based only upon the List Price for the vehicle per the guidebooks in the County Database!!!! The registration fees will go down somewhat as the vehicle ages, but not very much ... even my old 1980's pick up truck F-250 costs as much to register as my 1995 F-250 or my Dodge 2500.

You will pay a"county fee" and a "state fee" for vehicle registration each year. You must have proof of insurance in force to register the vehicle at the DMV counter, or swear out an affadavit on the mail-in renewal application. But the "first time" registration at the DMV will require your actual insurance document showing the vehicle insurance by serial number and current date of policy.

If you are moving into the state and have an existing out-of-state title, than that can be used to get a "temporary Wyoming title" (for a nominal fee) at the County Clerk's office which will be used only for the purpose of registering/licensing your vehicle. If you just show up with your paperwork at the County Clerk's office, they will automatically have you apply for a Wyoming title ... which will involve higher fees and an effort by Wyoming to collect sales taxes on your vehicle. If you can avoid this process by just getting the "temporary" title, do so ... you'll save money. But be aware that the first step in "registration and licensing" your vehicle will be to go to the County Clerk's office to get a wyoming title to the vehicle; without it, the County Treasurer's office cannot process your registration and license application for your license plates.

To clarify the process: you will have two separate transactions at the County Offices: the first is at the County Clerk and Recorder's office for the title, and the second is at the County Treasurer's office for the license/registration. You'll write two sparate checks, one to the Clerk, and one to the Treasurer.

So, if you've got an existing vehicle you own as you move into Wyoming, you'll need your proof of ownership (state title or registered owner paperwork, finance doc's, etc.), proof of insurance, and current registration paperwork. Depending upon the state the vehicle is coming from, you'll need to turn in the license plates off it, too ... because in some states, the license plates stay valid with a vehicle, in others they stay valid with the registered owner.

If you are already in Wyoming and purchase a vehicle out of state, then you'll need proof of sales tax payment on the vehicle. You will be charged state sales/use tax on the purchase which may be offset by the sales taxes paid in another state, if any, to obtain the Wyoming title.

Looking through my current vehicle registrations, it seems that the lowest "state fee" for a motor vehicle is $30, and all of my trailers ... single axle or double axle, boat/horse/utility/car hauler/stock ... are all $15. The "county fee" for all my cars and pick up trucks runs in the $80 to $100+ range, but here is where the trailers vary wildly based upon Original Manufacturer's List price ... my big gooseneck stock trailer (which I purchased at an auction for much less than it's valuation) is $45, while some of my single axle utility trailers are only $12.

FWIW, car insurance in Wyoming in pretty reasonable compared to a lot of other states. At minimal coverage, we spend about $120 per pick up truck or $100 per car every six months for full coverage including comp/collision/UM/underinsuredMotorist/medical. The bottom level of minimal legal coverage for my least valued cars is about $80 per 6 months. We have clean driving records, no loss history, and a fleet of vehicles which qualifies us for discounts; our most expensive vehicle to insure is our 4x4 pick-up truck, followed by our Subaru AWD station wagons (which are more expensive to insure than my 1982 MB's).

Old 11-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks all. I will have to call around and get everything in order.

That link answers alot.

Kind of odd that each county kind of does things their own way and stuff. Works for me though. It may not be cheaper than keeping California plates on it for awhile....

Old 11-15-2008, 02:29 PM

[quote=Gibs07GTcpe;6171232]Thanks all. I will have to call around and get everything in order.

That link answers alot.

Kind of odd that each county kind of does things their own way and stuff. Works for me though. It may not be cheaper than keeping California plates on it for awhile....[/QUOTE]

Please note that WY law requires you to register your vehicle if you're a resident within 30 days. While there are some localities where you may see a lot of temporary workers with out of state plates, there are a lot of places or times where a sharp-eyed officer of the law may notice your out of state plates and write a citation for you.

As an aside, your type of thinking is what pi**es local Wyoming folks off about people relocating to this state. You want to enjoy the benefits of coming here, but you don't want to participate in paying for it ... so you'll just keep your out of state plates on the car because it's cheaper.

Overall, Wyoming has much lower taxes than California, by a long shot ... and yet, you'd cheat on those Wyoming taxes if you could. And you'll wonder why you might not get the friendly welcome you want/expect from some of the locals .... Don't think your neighbors won't notice if your car has CA plates on it for more than a month or so.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:30 PM

As a military member I dont have to change mine, that is why I said that. If I was not military, I would definately not keep my old plates.......Sorry for the confusion. I currently dont claim CA as my state of residence either, I am by law a MD resident.....No disrespect to those of you in Wyoming was meant.

I really hope to get the orders that are available to WY. Not very often that they pop up for my specialty.......

Thanks again.

Gib

Old 11-15-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
For a state that is so liberty oriented it is sure a pain in the a$$ to register an out of state car.
The issue isn't about "liberty oriented", it's that we have so few WY taxes that the state and counties have to be somewhat aggressive about enforcing/collecting them .... car licensing and registrations go directly to the heart of our limited road system funding. WY has a very small population base density upon which to draw the needed funds for a transportation system that covers a lot of miles.

Keep in mind that Wyoming has no personal income tax, low corporate tax rates, and doesn't tax outside sources of income like many other states do.
For example, I'm not a California resident, but I pay personal income taxes on some inheirited income producing property there ... for which Wyoming doesn't collect any taxes. Same thing with my Colorado income producing rental properties, I pay personal income tax to Colorado for the revenue generated there, but not to Wyoming.

At the same time, I don't get any deduction on my other taxes I do pay in Wyoming from my Federal income tax, as you do get credit in California or Arizona or New York for your state income taxes.

Now the OP has a legitimate exemption from WY licensing for his vehicles, but they'll need that Base ID access sticker in the windshield to identify themselves as being a military exempt car with out of state plates.

I've never registered a car in AZ, but I have in CA ... when I had a 9 month job assignment in San Diego and the local PD spotted my Colorado plates in an employee parking lot over a two month period and left me a warning citation. Even though I wasn't seeking residency in CA, I was required due to the length of my CA stay to get CA plates on my car and turn in my CO plates. The process was easy ... but it was clearly all about revenue for the state. I didn't get any credit back in CO for the lost months of use, either, and I had to pay in full for my replacement license plates when I went back to Colorado. It's not like Wyoming is unique in attempting to collect license fees ....

Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,014,143 times
I understand the point of collecting money. It's just the whole process is idiotic.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,532,852 times
When my wife and I were with her job as a travel RN. She usually worked 13 week assignments. I just made sure we had copies of her present job assingment in the pickup. I got to know some of the local law inforement people real fast in some towns. Most were real understanding, we did have trouble in Farmington,NM and Marshall,Kansas. I got followed alot,after the initial stops. But hey, it was usually during the week so not much going on for them I guess.Ha,ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: