U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 11:04 AM

9 posts, read 19,274 times

Advertisements

AAAAARRRRG I usually have to wear long underwear and sorels outside this time of year!! I'm still walking around the house in short sleeves!!! Last year was a record year in Jackson!! We had over a foot here in Casper by last Thanksgiving!! What the heck!! Is this going to last all year or am I just being impatient?

I miss you, beautiful wonderful snow.....

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,591,602 times
Jackson barely got a dusting of snow Thursday night but the mountain range to the east got a nice covering. Several people were out enjoying their snowmobiles.

Last year Spring Creek Resort in Jackson sent us an email saying they got 338 feet of snow!! I wondered if it was a typo!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM

4,137 posts, read 8,239,394 times
I'd share with you if I could. Not only have we had the wettest and chilliest summer, but Winter has begun early and one of the coldest here. Or so they say. But it is Alaska There is almost a foot of the white on my yards counting the 5 inches of fresh we've received in the past two days with more to come through the night.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 PM

258 posts, read 937,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Good View Post
AAAAARRRRG I usually have to wear long underwear and sorels outside this time of year!! I'm still walking around the house in short sleeves!!! Last year was a record year in Jackson!! We had over a foot here in Casper by last Thanksgiving!! What the heck!! Is this going to last all year or am I just being impatient?

I miss you, beautiful wonderful snow.....
I think they're skiing at Targhee and isn't Snow King opening next week?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:45 PM

16 posts, read 65,070 times
Im missing the snow too. I have these little snowman figurines (sp) and i dont feel that i can put them out because of there being no snow. It would help if it would snow.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:54 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,324,741 times
Trick or Treat was extra fun this year. I seen the costumes on all the kids. Usually you see the costumes under coats and snow boots. After having to clean snow off the sidewalks in front of the house.
Figures though, I don't HAVE to work in it all winter, and now we don't have it all winter

Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,591,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
I think they're skiing at Targhee and isn't Snow King opening next week?
Grand Targhee was opening this weekend and they had enough snow to ski. The only snow in Jackson was little patches here and there. There will be no skiing at Snow King until they get some snow! The slopes are bare. Everyone we visited with was in a state of disbelief. One couple had flown in from Florida to ski.

There was some talk of three Colorado ski resorts laying off staff. Copper Mountain, Steamboat and Winter Park. Guess they did an online survey and didn't get the positive feedback they had hoped. I believe all three are owned by a Canadian company.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 AM

17 posts, read 87,989 times
Default adding info to snow total

I think the 338 feet was a typo. I'm a wyoming native that lives in Washington State. The North Cascades are the perennial world record holders for snowfall. The record is passed around between Mount Ranier, Mount Baker and Oregon's Mt.Hood. I believe the current world record is held at Mount Baker and is around 110 feet. This could be verified via web search if one was inclined to check. So I think they meant 338 inches which is still very good. I would think 50 or 60 feet of snowfall would produce ample snow pack for skiing. In this area it is typical to see 60 to 90 feet of snowfall at the ski areas which usually translates into a 20 foot deep snow base on the runs. I also think the snow at Jackson is likely drier and better skiing than anything out this way.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,255,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
Last year Spring Creek Resort in Jackson sent us an email saying they got 338 feet of snow!! I wondered if it was a typo!
as mentioned they meant to say inches. Just over the Tetons at Grand Targhee Ski Resort, in Wyoming, they can get over 500", that's inches, not feet. Up in Jellystone it can be way more than that.

As far as the weather being the same as it was last year, unless you were born yesterday, that rarely happens.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 11-24-2008 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 11:58 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,741,308 times
I say it's only November, Winter has just begun

While it does snow as early as Oct. doesn't mean the brunt of winter starts at the same time. Wyoming is unpredictable lol

Last edited by Kristynwy; 11-24-2008 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming