Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,872 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Rock Springs, WY. He starts with Halliburton in June but will be training in CO for a while. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out housing for when he is done with training. Is it really that expensive there? I have heard Rock Springs is a big meth town. I am worried that the houses I look at might have been potential meth labs or had meth in them. What is the weather there like? How hot are the summers? Who is the main cell carrier? We now are with ATT, old Cingular. I have never been to WY so I am really nervous! Please help me out and any answers will be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:46 PM

105 posts, read 447,714 times
Rent is expensive due to the energy boom there. A 3 bedroom town house was going for like 1500 last time I checked. But I have heard that the housing market is starting to go down and there are also a lot of foreclosures now. As far as meth goes yeah it is fairly prevalant in that area. I know there are kits that you can buy to swap a wall and put something on it and if it turns a certain color than you know its positive for meth residue. I think these kits are fairly inexpensive. The weather there is windy very windy. It does get pretty cold in the winter and dont be surpised by prolonged time in the single to below 0 digits. I have witnessed 24 below without windchill there. Summers are getting warmer and you will see between 80 to high 90s during the summer months. I am not sure about AT&T coverage. Most people have either Verizon or Union in that area. I know that verizon is getting better coverage than it use to especially in the patch where it was once dominated by Union. If you have any other questions feel free to ask I will try and answer them the best that I can

Old 12-09-2008, 12:36 PM

783 posts, read 1,725,123 times
According to yahoo real estate, there are several homes for sale in the 150k - 200k range (in rock springs)and the median price is 199k. That to me doesn't seem all that unaffordable, maybe just cause i am looking to buy in lander =-0

For all the problems you hear with housing in the r.s. green river area....it may just be b/c everyone moving in there would rather rent than buy? Rock springs has several large apt complexes that have no availability (from what my sister tells me). she was renting a TINY little studio apt for $450/mo.

Last edited by rya700; 12-09-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: additional thought

Old 12-09-2008, 02:17 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,807,995 times
I lived in Rocksprings at different times for a total of 5 1/2 years. Windy?
The last time I lived there we saw three inches of snow blow into 8 1/2 FEET drifts. One was along the side of my 14x70 trailerhouse. We had to enter and leave through the back door for a couple of weeks. That was after we dug out the car and pickup from the drift. We had to wait until the court plowed off the road and make trails out to it along the driveway.
Used to be people commited suicide in significant numbers enough to get the attention of the media. This was late 70's to early 80's, don't know about nowdays though.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 16,191 times
Haliburton as some apartments leased in the Imperial [ugh] Apartments. Haliburton will take out 1/2 rent on each paycheck per month [about $950 total]. Don't let Haliburton have the upper hand, you are sub-leasing wihich gives you more rights than what they say. I have a friend who had a gun collection in his Haliburton leased apt. They told him he can't have them in there but since my friend is sub-leasing, he has more say. Plus Haliburton will find some way to fire you here so watch yourself. They even test for Motrin in their drug tests here.

I have seen it, I live at the same apartments and my neighbors are all Haliburton employees. Me and my Family lease directly from the complex. Plus, I work for another company anyway.

Over than that, Rock Springs area is very tree-less so be prepared. The view is breath-taking though. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming