Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,324 times

Advertisements

We will be driving to Cody, WY, for Christmas/New Years. We will be coming from Arkansas, so our route options are either:
1) through Denver then north
2) I-80 through Nebraska
3) I-90 through South Dakota

South Dakota is actually listed as being about 45 minutes shorter -- but frankly, with all of the routes within 45 minutes of each other, our option is the one with the least amount of mountain driving and the best/clearest mountain passes.

If there's a blizzard, we realize that all the passes will be ugly. However, all things being equal, which is the best route to take? Is there a route you'd avoid completely? We have some experience on the I-90 option, but it was either summer or a different driver, so any advice is good advice in this case.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
All three of these routes pose serious weather related winter driving problems.
I-90 has been especially hard hit this winter, and looks unlikely to be a good choice.

But the final determinant will be which one of your chosen routes has the least amount of likely traffic delay due to winter weather forecast just before you leave on your trip.

It's possible that a couple may be in seasonally good condition, and it's possible all three routes could be very difficult, if not closed in spots. Be prepared for winter storm/blizzard conditions along any of these routes with an appropriate vehicle/tires, and your winter emergency kit in the car. Don't forget to allow for extra time and stops to accomodate the conditions and the drive times.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
I live in Gillette, which is on I-90, and have family in Iowa. We took I-90 back to Iowa every Christmas for several years and never had any closures. It did close one year during a trip back in early January -- delayed us for a couple days.

The main problem on I-90 is usually the wind coupled with the snow. Of course that can happen on I-80 or I-70 too. I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast and make your decision at the last minute based on it.

If you take I-90 across you'll have to leave the Interstate and deal with crossing the Bighorn Mountains. If you do that, the best route is usually Hwy. 16 from Buffalo to Worland. The road will likely have a little packed snow on it, but unless there's a weather system in the area, it's not a bad road. Take your time and cross during the day if posssible. (Snow plows are called off the road at dark).

If you take I-80 or I-70, exit at I-25 and follow it north, either to Casper or on to Buffalo. If you exit at Casper you can head west, then follow the Bighorn River through Thermopolis, Worland and Greybull, where you'd head west into Cody. You'd avoid any mountain passes that way.

Either way is normally okay. I had business interests in Cody for about 10 years and drove Hwy. 16 over the Bighorns nearly every month throughout the year. I can only recall being stranded once in all those years, when I had to stay overnight in Cody before returning home to Gillette the next morning.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,724 times
[quote=WyoNewk;6574019] If you take I-90 across you'll have to leave the Interstate and deal with crossing the Bighorn Mountains.

If you take I-80 or I-70, exit at I-25 and follow it north, either to Casper or on to Buffalo. If you exit at Casper you can head west, then follow the Bighorn River through Thermopolis, QUOTE]

WyoNewk has some good advice here, but I want to add a couple of thoughts. 1) If you come this way and can't make it across the Bighorns it could be better to head up to Billings, then over & down to Cody. It would add a couple of hours to your trip, but all in all, isn't that far out of your way.
2) Be cautious if you choose the route from Casper to Thermopolis because the Wind River Canyon out of Thermop can get really nasty. When I lived in Thermop I drove the canyon to college in Riverton and although I was used to the drive it could get really, really bad!

We're all wishing you a safe trip!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwood2 View Post
We will be driving to Cody, WY, for Christmas/New Years. We will be coming from Arkansas, so our route options are either:
1) through Denver then north
2) I-80 through Nebraska
3) I-90 through South Dakota

South Dakota is actually listed as being about 45 minutes shorter -- but frankly, with all of the routes within 45 minutes of each other, our option is the one with the least amount of mountain driving and the best/clearest mountain passes.

If there's a blizzard, we realize that all the passes will be ugly. However, all things being equal, which is the best route to take? Is there a route you'd avoid completely? We have some experience on the I-90 option, but it was either summer or a different driver, so any advice is good advice in this case.

Thank you.
We have made the drive on I-80 between Arkansas and Wyoming many times but we were traveling to southern Wyoming. I-90 would likely have more snow since it is further north. Pay close attention to the advice about avoiding the mountain ranges since that is where you would hit the worst conditions. You don't want to travel the Denver north route. I discovered that a day or two makes a lot of difference with the road conditions.

Looks like you will have snow for sure in Cody! I hope where ever you are in Arkansas the ice storm missed you. I felt blessed this morning when there was no ice here.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:14 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,016 times
The bighorn mountains (on the I-90 route) can get white out conditions even when down in Sheridan is quiet and calm.
I would not recommend going over the Big Horn mountains in winter if it is your first time.
There is possibility of being snowed in, you need to have emergency supplies on hand and be prepared to possibly be stuck if bad weather comes in. It is 10,000 feet elevation. All year up at that elevation you have to take precautions. It has snowed people in camping in the summer.

You may try a route thru Montana and down into Cody. However, this winter has been pretty cold and snowy earlier this year, so that is even risky at the moment.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,324 times
The Big Horns -- yes, that's the range that "got us" when we drove that route 5 years ago. It was decent weather everywhere but there. That was a hairy stretch of road. I think we will make it a last minute call. I'm actually FROM South Dakota, so know I-90 very well through there -- and I have several friends and family who we could stay with if need be. But the wind-caused ground blizzards are unpredictable on I-90.

A co-worker from Denver suggested the Denver route, so we may opt for that one instead. -- simply to avoid the Big Horns. But that will be the last minute call we make. Thanks for the name of the Big Horns -- the range was slipping my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming