Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 PM

7 posts, read 25,090 times

Advertisements

I am from ND. I took both the required constitution tests. I haven't gotten the results but feel that I've aced them. There is a study guide to study from.
I also took the elem Praxis they require. I found that to be quite easy too - was worried about that because it's been awhile since taking those courses but for an experienced teacher, it's all material you practice each day you teach - assessing errors, how to teach phonics, reading concepts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:09 PM

44 posts, read 120,145 times
Ready....did you have the tests sent to a University proctor? What was the cost?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,209,677 times
When I moved to Gillette to teach no one even mentioned a union. I asked someone about it because coming from Montana I was used to the entire school system there belonging to the MEA/NEA and MFT/AFT. I was told that hardly anyone here belongs to the union and I haven't heard one word about it since then (that was in August). It sure is nice not having those high union dues coming out of my paycheck!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:08 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,168,435 times
Thanks Georgia! I'll have to ask locally if the MN schools belong to a union. I never thought of the fact that there could be "union dues".

and Ready, I'd also like to hear how/when/ you took the tests as well as cost.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 AM

7 posts, read 25,090 times
I have taken both constitution tests. They weren't difficult but you do have to study. The Wyoming Standards and Practices website has a place for you to download studyguides. I also took the elementary Praxis II. Haven't gotten the results back yet but it only took me 1 hour to take the 2 hour test. An experienced teacher shouldn't have any problem with that test. Many questions about assessing types of student errors.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,780,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready for Wyoming View Post
I have taken both constitution tests. They weren't difficult but you do have to study. The Wyoming Standards and Practices website has a place for you to download studyguides. I also took the elementary Praxis II. Haven't gotten the results back yet but it only took me 1 hour to take the 2 hour test. An experienced teacher shouldn't have any problem with that test. Many questions about assessing types of student errors.
I had to smile when I read this. There was a time this was not a major issue. One of my early in-service jobs was working on how to teach assessment and why. It is so important. As an artist if I didn't identify and understand my errors my work would fail. It is not enough to just check it right or wrong. Once you identify a pattern you have something to work on to correct the problem. When a student learns to do this for themselves they have a tool that will translate into all areas of their lives.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready for Wyoming View Post
Did you take the tests in North Dakota or did you go to Wyoming to take them? If the former, did you have to have a proxi to administer the constitution test? What was the cost?

Also, are you an elementary school or secondary school teacher? I plan only to teach at the secondary level, so am guessing I wouldn't need the elementary Praxis II exam?

Old 02-14-2009, 05:34 PM

What exactly is a "Language Arts Facilitator" ? I've noticed that heading on a couple of jobs listed around Wyoming. Does anyone know?

Old 02-14-2009, 07:47 PM

632 posts, read 1,514,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
What exactly is a "Language Arts Facilitator" ? I've noticed that heading on a couple of jobs listed around Wyoming. Does anyone know?
A few years ago, the legislature funded (and just refunded) money to school districts for facilitators to act as "experts" to teachers and students in school districts. They are usually considered master teachers in their content area and are consultants, researchers, guiders, etc. to teachers to improve instruction in the classroom.

My district, for example, has a language arts, math, science and technology facilitator. I've used the tech fac. to locate websites and other research resources for my students related to whatever topic we are learning about, something I could do but would take lots of time.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 PM

540 posts, read 1,906,856 times
I am curious to know about teaching on any Indian Reservations in Wyoming. What is it like? What are the students like and parents also. Is the job any different compared to teaching at other schools in the state? Are teachers approached differently if they are from a different race? Forgive me for my curiosity and being naive on the subject. Thanks for any replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming