U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:21 PM

7 posts, read 23,823 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone who used to live in ND now living in Rock Springs? I'm going for an interview there and am now reading many negative things about Rock Springs. The weather part doesn't scare me. People consider ND isolated but I don't see it that way so the isolation doesn't bother me. I am wondering about the meth problem. ND does have that too - how much worse is it in Rock Springs? What is the shopping like? Are groceries and gas higher because it's a boom town? How many miles is it to Salt Lake City and how many miles is it to Cheyenne?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 PM

43 posts, read 133,670 times
A family I'm friends with here in Sundance moved here from Rock Springs because they said it was not very family-friendly there. She didn't like to let the kids play away from the house, for example.

Do you have some time after or before your interview where you can scout around a bit and get a feel for the place? It's a good thing you are visiting in Feb since you will not see RS in it's Sunday Best.

Check out the song "Rock Springs" by Kerry Grombacher. (CD Baby: KERRY GROMBACHER: It Sings in the Hi-Line)

Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,532 times
Jared, Thanks for the shout-out. When I play that song at shows, I always stress that I've been well treated in Rock Springs when I've performed there. I'll be in Wyoming for a concert in Cody in August and am looking for additional dates in the state in August and October. My tour schedule is at [url=http://www.myspace.com/kgrombacher]Kerry Grombacher on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads[/url]. Take care. Kerry Grombacher [url=http://www.kgrombacher.com]Kerry Grombacher - Contemporary Folk and Western Songs[/url]

Old 04-20-2009, 04:10 AM

139 posts, read 436,898 times
When I lived in Dickinson, ND I had a roomate who was from Rock Springs. She never liked it very much (hence the move to ND). One thing she would always speak of was the meth problem, she was of hispanic background and said that a large majority of hispanic youths in town were using meth. I couldn't weigh in on that personally, but all in all I would say the meth problem is no better or no worse that any other town of comparable size and makeup.

That said, i've passed through Rock Springs numerous times and it seems like a nice town to me. The downtown is unique to me for some reason, and the surrounding landscape (like Laramie where I live now) is unparalleled. It's population sits at about 18,000 so I would imagine it has all of the conveniences of a large town or small city, and I would say the average cost of living is either equal to or slightly less than here in Laramie.

Rock springs looks to be about equidistant to both Cheyenne and Salt Lake City (maybe slightly closer to SLC). And there's always Denver, but that's a hell of a haul when you don't take the interstate.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM

30 posts, read 89,258 times
I lived in Rock Springs for a little over 1 year. I agree that the Meth problem is no better or worse than any other town. It is sad that small towns fall into this "lifestyle," but I doubt you will find a small town with out the problem. The good news, is that you can definitely avoid this lifestyle. The day to day townspeople seem straight and narrow, very nice, and normal. The groceries are not much more, if any more expensive there. I always shopped at Smtihs, which has great sales, and quality food. The gas prices are slightly higher because it is a boom town, the stations right off the highway are the highest. Salt Lake is just over 200 miles, and will take you about 2.5 to 3 hours to drive. I am pretty sure Cheyenne is comparable, but a little farther. Probably more like 3.5 to 4 hours. Rock Springs has a Kmart, Walmart, Home Depot, Albertsons, Smiths, Fashion Bug, Payless Shoe Source, A Mall that has, Vanity, Claires, JC Penny, Herbergers, Coachouse, Famous Footwear, Maurices, and a few more. Basically, it is a nice town for a homebody. I wouldn't recommend the bars, as there are so many scummy workers who hang out and drink there. There is a great Frisbee Golf course that you can walk or run, and there are many outdoor activities that are close by.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 AM

17 posts, read 49,394 times
Default Questions about Rock Springs

We are from Michigan and went to Rock Springs in March for a job opportunity for my husband. I was more impressed with Green River than I was Rock Springs. Be ready for no water, no trees, and no grass. We are still currently in Michigan even though my husband got the job in Rock Springs, because we can not find any pet friendly rentals (which aren't trailers) reasonably priced. Housing in the Rock Springs and Green River area is so over priced it's unbelievable. Good luck. We are now into the end of April and we still haven't found a rental and we started looking in Feb.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM

6 posts, read 22,916 times
Its not bad as everyone is saying it is. Its actually a great town, but there's always gonna be a flaw or something that somebody will complain about. Housing prices are bad, but I imagine if your husband is seriously thinking about moving here that he is getting a nice salary so you will have to invest in the expensive houses here if you want to keep your dogs. I don't think there's one family or house out here that doesn't have a dog. And majority have 3 or more so that is why landlords refuse to lease or rent their apartments/homes to these dogowners and their pets. What you need to do is to ask the land lord or agent to put a clause in the contract that you will pay for any damages that your dogs do to the place of rent. I live on the new side of town near the Rec Center and there were some very nice houses that got foreclosed down the street from me. One family has 4 dogs living and the other has 3 and both of those houses stated that no dogs were allowed.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 22,916 times
You won't even notice the drug problem here if you stay away from people who are using it. Its just like any normal town in the sense that it has the drugs and crime. But Rock Springs is a city on the rise. The only way I even knew of the drug and crime here was when I opened up the rocketminer newspaper and saw everything that was happening on a daily basis. Maybe I dont notice the problem as much because I live on the new side of town and not the old side. So if you are planning on moving here, move to the new side of town (basically everything west of Foothill Blvd, which runs north/south). The one thing I can say is that people here are very nice, even if they are high on drugs.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 PM

17 posts, read 49,394 times
My husband wasn't offered that much money to start but has the potential to make good money. We currently have a home here in Michigan so we wouldn't be able to buy right away. Other than run down trailers in trailer parks there isn't much in the area we can afford. I have even gone as far as calling the local churches to see if they could send out an e-mail (which they did) and got nothing. So unfortunately it looks like we aren't going to be able to take the job. Its hard. Stay in Michigan with a house but no job or move to Wy have no house but have a job.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 PM

11,375 posts, read 47,145,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_82901 View Post
snip And majority have 3 or more so that is why landlords refuse to lease or rent their apartments/homes to these dogowners and their pets. What you need to do is to ask the land lord or agent to put a clause in the contract that you will pay for any damages that your dogs do to the place of rent. I live on the new side of town near the Rec Center and there were some very nice houses that got foreclosed down the street from me. One family has 4 dogs living and the other has 3 and both of those houses stated that no dogs were allowed.
And now you know, RS_82901, why many of us "landlord" types won't rent to dog owners.

It seems like every time I have gone against my better judgement and allowed ONE DOG of small-medium size ... my tenants wind up with 3 or 4 or 5 BIG DOGS. Huskies, Malemutes, Dobermans, Great Pryenees, big German Shepherds, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Malemutes ...

It doesn't work from a property owner's perspective to get a tenant to agree or sign a lease with a damage clause. I've done walk-throughs with video cameras and pictures of before and after, and the tenant just laughs it off as normal wear and tear. "Sue me" is the usual response ... and I have, and I've gotten judgements which weren't worth the paper they were printed on. Even when they were turned over to collection agencies, I got less than 10cents on the dollar for the damage.

The last time I allowed a pet, I told the people up front that I wanted 6 months rent held as a damage deposit just for the pet, over and beyond the 1st and last month's rent and one month's damage deposit. The folks paid it, and when they left after a year ... the pet damage deposit didn't even come close to the materials cost alone of fixing all the damage to my house. Between torn up doors and cabinetry, urinated/defecated carpets, marked wood trim, torn up window sills, marked walls, destroyed drapes and insulating window covers, and ripped out landscaping (mature trees they tied the dog's with chains to during the day while they were at work) and holes dug in the ornamental shrubs and shelter belt ... it added up to a lot of money. I've seen medium sized dogs claw through a solid wood exterior paneled door which cost over $600 to replace, because somebody didn't let the dog back in when it was ready to come inside after doing it's business out on the front landscaping. Suing them for the rest of it wasn't worth it ... they didn't have the money to go after as they'd spent all their money on good times while they were working and in the area.

I know ... everybody's dog is just a wonderfully behaved animal, and has never been a problem or caused any damage. All of them completely housebroken and very calm temperament dogs, would sooner die than make a mess in the house. But every time I've believed that story, I've been out a lot of money and lost rental time while a house was refurbished to a "rental-ready" condition.

I've seen one friend with a very well behaved Komondor that did a little damage through the years leave it with another girlfriend for an afternoon while she went to have some surgery done ... and came back to over $10,000 worth of damage to the house when the dog went crazy while everybody was gone for the afternoon. The dog chewed up furniture, upholstery, doors, and pee'ed and barfed all through the house. In just the space of a few hours .... when the dog freaked out over being left in an unfamiliar situation.

Fact is, too, my own dogs and cats in my own house have caused damage through the years. And they're "pretty well behaved", too. The difference here is that I'm the house owner and accept responsibility for those costs of having my pets.

I'll bet that just about every landlord or property management company in your area has similar stories to tell of their pet owning rental tenants. It's not worth it to us to deal with these problems ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-23-2009 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming