Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM

100 posts, read 338,638 times

Advertisements

Our 14yo daughter suffers from extreme allergy symptoms. She is allergic to dust mites and a type of mold found in the air in moist climates like ours here in Michigan. No doctor or medication has ever been able to help her, and at this point, she can hardly keep her eyes open. The only thing that has ever "cured" her was when we visited Nevada and Arizona. When we were there, her eyes felt great and she didn't even need eye drops, which is a huge deal for her.

Okay, so how dry is the climate in Riverton, Wyoming? The reason that I ask is that my husband works for a national company that has an opening in Riverton that would be exactly what he is doing now. There is nothing available in AZ, NM, NV, or any other remotely arid states right now. We will probably have to move in order for our daughter to have a normal life. Do you think her allergies would clear up in Riverton, based on what you know, or anyone who has had this problem that you know?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Today is fairly normal, 30% at my house though online it says 23%. Sometimes it's a little lower, sometimes a little higher, but this feels average to me.

I'm familiar with Minnesota summers/winters, as well as Maryland, Atlanta and Phoenix. Phoenix was drier.

Note that I had REALLY BAD hay-fever growing up here. I don't have it anymore (since moving back), so no idea if your daughters would clear up or get worse. How long does it take for her to acclimate to a location to see? If under a week, make the trip out here and see how it is.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:28 PM

I took her to Phoenix last week out of pure desperation and she felt better almost immediately. Normally, she puts compresses on her eyes about 6-8 times a day and applies artificial tears every 10-15 min. just to get through the day. Once we got off the plane in Phoenix, she only needed her eye drops once and then never needed them again for three days. She also felt good in Denver when we were laid over there for five hours. Is Riverton anything like Denver in climate? Is the elevation there very high?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Riverton and Denver are very similar in all environmental aspects. Same general elevation (5500 feet), same kind of climate, though Riverton may average a few degrees cooler. If she was good there, she should be good here.

Hedge your bets though, make a short trip out with your husband to check out the community and job (they may even pay for part of the trip). While the climate may be good, you may find that the region and town are not something you can live with.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Climate and elevation are both very similar. Denver's a couple hundred feet higher and a tad warmer but probably not enough to make a difference.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
My allergies were much better when I lived in Lander Wyoming -25 miles from Riverton-(compared to the humid Minnesota). It is definitely drier there! Poor kiddo. Take a family trip over spring break and check it out if you can.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. I really appreciate it. : )

Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,833 times
Default riverton bad

you do not want to move to riverton. it is a sh*t hole. Check the demographics and crime stats. There is nothing to do in riverton. I love natives, but just so you know, there is a reservation on outskirts of riverton. The res is not a nice place to be and many of the problems on the res trickle into the community.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
not everyone would agree with that opinion, necessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming