U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM

625 posts, read 1,613,581 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on where to stay (mid to late August). Jackson? My wife and two daughters (7 and 5) would like to be outside the city in a cabin/house or secluded hotel. No more than $300 per night. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,543,707 times
Jackson Lake Lodge is probably about as nice as any, and if you don't need a suite it could be well within your price range.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,749,732 times
If it were me I would stay in Yellowstone. There are some really cute little cabins at Lake and also at Old Faithful, a couple of very old rustic hotels, etc. You should call right away for prices and availability as they may already be full for August. Your kids would love it! Much better than Jackson.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I will have to check them out.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM

398 posts, read 1,205,662 times
I would stay in either Yellowstone or the town of West Yellowstone for convenience. Jackson is a nice town, but it's a bit of a haul to get to Yellowstone. My husband and I camped there a few years ago thinking it was only an hour to the park, when it's actually more like 2 hours. You hit the border of the park in about an hour, but then it's another hour until you actually get to the heart of the park (ie. Old Faithful area). So we had a lot of driving to do! We stayed in West Yellowstone this summer which is right on the border of the park and much more convenient. It's just a much smaller town so there's a lot less to do.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,543,707 times
Just for the record, if the OP is planning to spend all his time in Yellowstone, I agree with the other posts -- stay in the Park or West Yellowstone. I assumed (probably incorrectly) that he wanted to visit Teton NP too, since he mentioned Jackson.

Jackson Lake Lodge is centrally located to both parks and Jackson and is a very nice place to hang your hat.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM

We do want to go Teton as well. I have been to both in the past and Teton is just as impressive as Yellowstone. With my kids being 7 and 5 I think 2 or days at the parks should be plenty. So we are also checking out cabins in Dubois, west of Cody, and the Thayne area. Wyoming is such an awesome state. From the eastern plaines to the western mountains no state can compare. The people that love Colorado have no idea what they are missing. Any information on the areas mentioned above is greatly appreciated and thanks for the responses already received.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM

203 posts, read 641,294 times
Stay at Canyon Village. It is centrally located to both loops of the park. I would recommend the Western Cabins, they were recently remodeled and nice inside. We stayed there last summer. Call on the phone for reservations and if they are full, keep calling there is always cancellations. When I booked our trip I checked online and it was all full, but when I called I got res at Grant Village so I kept those, but called a week later and got Canyon. The distances seem small around the park but the roads are windy and lots to see so it takes a long time to go 14 miles. Have fun.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,245 posts, read 44,022,236 times
I certainly wouldn't miss Red Lodge, MT (nice place to stay too) as the NE entrance to YNP (+ Tower Falls) and Tetons are among my favorite spots. I to would try to stay in the park, as it would be very memorable. If it is just a night, I would do a lodge in YNP and a Lodge in TNP. I'm not sure the cabins would be practical for a night, but they are pretty fun and 'period' / possibly romantic if they are available. I just saw a special PBS on Jackson Lodge, and the pancake breakfast on Jackson Lake via horse drawn wagon ride looked like a 'Must DO' for kids.
I would avoid Jackson for Lodging, but that's just my style. Jackson lodging is better for mom and dad getaway, or skiing. But consider something really rare for kids (less plush for Mom and Dad)
Be advised on travel, It can take a long time to transverse the park in Aug... 25 mph...(but you have been there, so you should remember.) Animals + tourists + kids + cameras + narrow roads and NOW Radar (glad that came AFTER my motorcycle days)

Are you driving in from an Airport, or any particular direction? There are some interesting routes from different approaches. (If you are helicoptering in, that would be great too!)

From the East / NE I like 14a from Sheridan area through Burgess Jct. & the Bighorns

If you are coming from an area near Laramie, be sure to cross the Snowy Range and take a dip in the free "Hobo Pool" at Saratoga.

Our kids always enjoyed Thermopolis water slides (Once they overcame the smell). I would usually sleep under a shade tree while they swam, cuz I preferred to drive at night while they peacefully slept. We did lots of city parks w/ pools to let them stretch while traveling. (Like the "Lusk 'Plunge' , that's been awhile... ) Something that was real fun for them was squirt guns for August trips through WY (since we never had a vehicle with AC). The VW camper van was perfect, but slowwwww. Very noisy, so driver could 'ignore' the kids, with 'on-board' sink to refill the squirt guns ! and fridge for treats + upper and lower bunks (The kids definately remember those trips, 25 + yrs later... they were both in diapers at the time...)
Cloth diapers....

Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks for all the responses. We are getting closer to making our decision. Seeing that we are only going to spend a couple of days at the park we are leaning towards making a cabin in the Windriver mts. outside of Dubois, or somewhere in the Star Valley our base for our Wyoming vacation. Other than a quick visit Jackson is out. Any thoughts on our Dubois or Star Valley plan? We have found some cool cabins in the mountains of both areas. I know both of my kids would love both parks I just think they would tire of it after a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming