Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,352 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the forums and predominantly because I'm expanding my research into relocating to Wyoming. While I've concluded that the state is the right place for me, I still have to research the specific areas; I'm sure there's an abundance of threads already about this, so I'll read those.

I'm set to go, however my wife is apprehensive (yet supportive). One of her major concerns is about the possibility of encountering bigotry against her out there. I tell her that it's all in her head, but I'd ask around to find out more if it would help ease her concern.

She's Pakistani by heritage, but was born and raised here in the United States. She's a US Citizen, speaks perfect English, has light-brown colored skin, and is a conservative Christian. She's 100% "Americanized", and aside from the color of her skin, couldn't be told apart from an average white American girl.

I think that she wouldn't have any problems with this out in Wyoming, and that - if anything - there might only be bigotry if she didn't speak English well, wasn't "Americanized", or a Christian. I believe that people would care more about who you are and what you believe than they would about the color of your skin or family heritage.

So guys, would she have anything to worry about out there? I've told her time and time again that she wouldn't, but I thought I'd finally get the first-hand response of some Wyoming residents to support my claims.

Please provide honest answers. I'd hate to hear from multiple sources that there's nothing to worry about here, then relocate to the area and find that it isn't the case at all because the issue was being downplayed.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Not a problem. What I've observed in this state is that you are judged on your abilities and your character.

Simply put, if your looking for trouble, you'll find it. If your not looking for trouble, you won't find it.

I judge my neighbor on how good of a neighbor he is. Couldn't tell you what his nationality is, nor his religion, or even if he goes to church. But I do know that if I'm sick, he comes over and shovels my walk. And if he's gone for a few day, I make sure his lawn is mowed.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfromva View Post
Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the forums and predominantly because I'm expanding my research into relocating to Wyoming. While I've concluded that the state is the right place for me, I still have to research the specific areas; I'm sure there's an abundance of threads already about this, so I'll read those.

I'm set to go, however my wife is apprehensive (yet supportive). One of her major concerns is about the possibility of encountering bigotry against her out there. I tell her that it's all in her head, but I'd ask around to find out more if it would help ease her concern.

She's Pakistani by heritage, but was born and raised here in the United States. She's a US Citizen, speaks perfect English, has light-brown colored skin, and is a conservative Christian. She's 100% "Americanized", and aside from the color of her skin, couldn't be told apart from an average white American girl.

I think that she wouldn't have any problems with this out in Wyoming, and that - if anything - there might only be bigotry if she didn't speak English well, wasn't "Americanized", or a Christian. I believe that people would care more about who you are and what you believe than they would about the color of your skin or family heritage.

So guys, would she have anything to worry about out there? I've told her time and time again that she wouldn't, but I thought I'd finally get the first-hand response of some Wyoming residents to support my claims.

Please provide honest answers. I'd hate to hear from multiple sources that there's nothing to worry about here, then relocate to the area and find that it isn't the case at all because the issue was being downplayed.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
As I'm sure you know, Wyoming is essentially a monoracial state. Virtually everyone is White. It follows that no one ever moved to Wyoming seeking a mixed racial environment. That's not to say that everyone who moves here requires an all White state. But it does say that no one requires a mixture. Plenty of people have moved here because of our racial makeup. They won't tell you to your face or even on a forum. They won't show open hostility if you move here. But you'll never be part of your local society. You won't be invited to people's homes much. If you are invited, those inviting you will see it as a Christian deed, or perhaps, an MTV inspired deed.

I'd say most of the transplants here used race as one of their criteria. They just don't talk about it much. But there are exceptions. Last Summer there were some blacks who always seemed to be walking or riding bicycles on the main drag on the west side of Cody. People were talking about it, and not in a friendly way.

Wyoming is Wyoming, not someplace else.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Race isn't usually an issue in Wyoming, but I'm a little with Happy on this one. I "suspect" that some people might have a slight prejudice. As one of the "white guys", I don't see it, don't hear about it, don't think about it, but I'd bet it's here to some extent -- probably more or less depending on the town itself. A boomtown like Gillette is a melting pot, as is Laramie with the University; other towns are made up mostly of natives to the area and might be more of a problem.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
I don't think anyone will be outright racist to you or your wife's face, but there will be a lot of folks who will talk about you behind your back. But they do that no matter your race or religion. That is what people do in small towns, they gossip and put their noses in other people's business.

I've never heard about anyone doing any kind of KKK type activity to anyone that is non-white so there wouldn't be people going around throwing rocks through your windows with notes telling you to get out. Or people trying to lynch you or not serving you or your wife in stores or resturants. So you all wouldn't have reason to fear that type of bigotry or racism.

I know that there are quite a few Pakistani and Middle Eastern families currently in WY. Some are American born and some are not. I have never heard of anyone doing anything horrible to them and they seem to have many friends especially the ones who are the most Americanized. We have several families right here in Sheridan and the only bad things I have heard other people say about one family in particular is that they are not trust worthy, but that is mostly because they don't or won't pay their bills. (like electical work and construction costs)

I think if you were to have moved here shortly after 911 you might have felt a lot of racism and any racism you feel here now would still be from the fear that a lot of folks have about terrorists. But I think that fear is nation wide and not just here in WY.

I don't think WY itself is a bigoted/racist state, I think we are just ignorant to other nationalties and religious beliefs because we are not a multi culture state (mainly because our state does not offer jobs that attracts different cultures or our weather is not pleasant for someone who likes or is used to heat) so it is shocking to us to see people of a different color in our state which gets people to talking. We are mainly a bunch of ranchers, oil/methane field workers and coal miners, which is our biggest three industries. We are not a bunch of skin heads or neo nazis like up in the Idaho Panhandle.

So like another poster said as long as you are not looking for trouble you won't find trouble. Just keep your nose clean, be a good neighbor and a good worker and I'm sure you will be just fine. People may be a bit stand offish at first but once they get to know you for you and you show yourselves to be good people they will start warming up.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM

203 posts, read 712,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Not a problem. What I've observed in this state is that you are judged on your abilities and your character.

Simply put, if your looking for trouble, you'll find it. If your not looking for trouble, you won't find it.

I judge my neighbor on how good of a neighbor he is. Couldn't tell you what his nationality is, nor his religion, or even if he goes to church. But I do know that if I'm sick, he comes over and shovels my walk. And if he's gone for a few day, I make sure his lawn is mowed.

Elkhunter is right. He has stated this quite a few times and I didn't believe him until I moved here. My neighbor Ed will shovel my driveway and take out my garbage can and then we do the same. I bring over cookies, My other neighbor Jim brought over steaks the other night.

Regarding the issue of racism. I, myself, have not experienced any, but that could be that I live in Gillette, a "bigger" city and that I am a health care provider in demand. I went to the Ducks Unlimited banquet last weekend and I was the only person of color and not wearing hunting camo or a cowboy hat. It was fun. Also I meet SO many new people everyday and they have been very welcoming. Of course there will be people who will be nice to your face, but have certain "beliefs" but that happens everywhere. I am a native Californian and when we lived there, people had their "beliefs" too.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 AM

16 posts, read 71,627 times
My neighbor is from Egypt born and raised and hasnt had a bit of problem. She says the only problem she has had is it sometimes hard for some to understand what she is saying with her accent and all. I understand her perfectly. She is very nice and brings things to her neighbors that she has made..food etc. I can tell that she cares about her neighbors and tries to be of any help to them.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,340 times
Default Wyoming is a good place to live no matter where you are from.

TO MFROMVA.
Actually my parents are from Pakistan and they have lived in Wyoming for 40+ years and in all honesty we have never once had a problem with bigotry/prejudice. I was born and raised here in Wyoming and I have lived California/Colorado and believe it or not I had many more problems in those areas with bigots etc.
There are deep Pakistani roots in northern wyoming. My father's relatives came to Wyoming in the early 1900's. The Sheridan/Gillette area now may have about 200 people that are from a Pakistani background.
Wyoming provided our family so many opportunities. Most of my extended family now have businesses and are successful because of wyoming. They were able to immigrate to USA live in Wyoming--actually save money---which many cannot do in New Jersey or CA and purchase good businesses. The 2nd generation benefited from likely the best public school system in the USA. Wyoming has invested so much in education and we also have a fine university that essentially is free for all wyoming high school graduates. In my family all of us went to the university of wyoming and that prepared us to go one to fine graduate/law schools.
As a case comparison. In my family some of my relatives live in the bay area CA and the baltimore area. They have all been here for 30 years or more and they have struggled. They don't really own homes, they are crammed into a small house, they weren't able to go to college, they have been the victim of crimes including violent ones, they are miserable and now they are likely moving to Wyoming.
Now in CA/MD there are no jobs, they cannot afford houses, they are not able to move up the income ladder and they cannot get an education.
Wyoming has an 'independent' attitude. You stay out of other people's affairs, you work hard and stay out of trouble and you will never have a problem here.
That is from decades of experience of living here and in other areas.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:08 PM

269 posts, read 829,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
As I'm sure you know, Wyoming is essentially a monoracial state. Virtually everyone is White. It follows that no one ever moved to Wyoming seeking a mixed racial environment. That's not to say that everyone who moves here requires an all White state. But it does say that no one requires a mixture. Plenty of people have moved here because of our racial makeup. They won't tell you to your face or even on a forum. They won't show open hostility if you move here. But you'll never be part of your local society. You won't be invited to people's homes much. If you are invited, those inviting you will see it as a Christian deed, or perhaps, an MTV inspired deed.

I'd say most of the transplants here used race as one of their criteria. They just don't talk about it much. But there are exceptions. Last Summer there were some blacks who always seemed to be walking or riding bicycles on the main drag on the west side of Cody. People were talking about it, and not in a friendly way.

That is about the biggest bull crap ever put on our forum-you know nothing about us-take your racial attitude back to where you got it from-Thanks for nothin

Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

First off, I think you should check your facts. Most of, all of, some of, people were, etc are pretty general statements.

There were some folks riding bikes near Cody. People talked about it??????? What, 2 or 3 people? Your general statements are trying to indicate that the MAJORITY of the people were talking about it.

Please don't generalize on something like this. Have you interviewed even ONE SINGLE SOLE to find out why they come to Wyoming and they answered because of Race??????

Start owning your statements. I think, not we think, or most people think. Unless you can come up with some facts and numbers with teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming