Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 20,616 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question for anyone in the Jackson or Victor areas...

How many people make the commute from Victor to Jackson for work?

How often does the Teton Pass close, thus causing people to miss work?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,162,446 times
This is a good question... Sorry the thread is a few months old.. but as I just put in an application for a teaching job in Jackson (at this point I'm less concerned about "where" as to the "when" I find a job).

I see houses range from 850 on up to rent...in the Jackson area... but what about over the mountain pass?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 AM

382 posts, read 932,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
This is a good question... Sorry the thread is a few months old.. but as I just put in an application for a teaching job in Jackson (at this point I'm less concerned about "where" as to the "when" I find a job).

I see houses range from 850 on up to rent...in the Jackson area... but what about over the mountain pass?

What size are you looking for? I have the Alpine paper and can give you a good idea. The following link is the local free classifieds and will have some listings as well.

View (http://www.jacksonholeradio.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&search_and_display_db _button=on&query=browse&results_format=headlines - broken link)

Old 06-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
What size are you looking for? I have the Alpine paper and can give you a good idea. The following link is the local free classifieds and will have some listings as well.

View (http://www.jacksonholeradio.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&search_and_display_db _button=on&query=browse&results_format=headlines - broken link)

Well first I'd have to get a job there... which is like winning the lottery these days

If I did move there I would need a minimum 2 bedroom (prefer 3),one which would allow a well trained cat in tow and a fairly well trained hubby as well

Thanks for the link!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Well one bedrooms start about 550.00. Two bedrooms 600.00-750.00 and up

If you get a job, it will be a good time to get a place.
Lots more rentals available then normal.

Are you applying to the school district or the private schools?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
Well one bedrooms start about 550.00. Two bedrooms 600.00-750.00 and up

If you get a job, it will be a good time to get a place.
Lots more rentals available then normal.

Are you applying to the school district or the private schools?

I applied to "Connections Academy" .. which is all distance/computer based education. Not sure if the job would require living right in Jackson or not as their site said the job is "home-based." While I would much rather be in a classroom with students, online teaching wouldn't be bad either. I took several classes online in college, so at least can understand the process.

Still keeping my options open. Too bad the middle school language arts position in Powell is only part time (and part time Spanish instructor).

Keeping my fingers crossed and praying that the right job will come along.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,793,747 times
Lots of the workerbees in Jackson live over Teton Pass in Victor and Driggs. Personally I wouldn't do it or down in Star Valley either. The pass is closed occasionally but many times your driving in dicey road conditions.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,689,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
many times you're driving in dicey road conditions.
I believe that's an understatement. I was invited by some friends for a little vacation in Driggs in late February 1997. I came up from Colorado and thus came over from Jackson via the pass.

First thing I noticed in Jackson where I spent the first night in a motel, when I pulled into the motel I saw an absolutely GIGANTIC pile of snow over 30 feet high!!

The pass itself reminded me of the Colorado high country. Quite wintry in winter but tempered somewhat by beaucoup high-altitude sunshine.

If you're gonna do that commute I would definitely recommend an AWD/4wd vehicle.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:28 PM

10 posts, read 57,505 times
I used to live in Victor and work in Jackson back in the mid-90s. I remember a snow squall on the pass in JULY. Travel is challenging to say the least.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviered View Post
I used to live in Victor and work in Jackson back in the mid-90s. I remember a snow squall on the pass in JULY. Travel is challenging to say the least.
The roads between Jackson and Star Valley and Idaho have improved greatly and commuting is no longer the challenge it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming