Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,554 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be traveling from Alliance, NE to San Diego, Ca via across the state of Wyoming. How is the road from Cheyenne to Evanston? Are there any "must-stop" places along the way? Also, how is the weather usually around the 2nd and 3rd week in April? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Sorry, there isn't much for "Must See" stops along I-80 although some of us really like the area.

April is normally, not too bad. There have been snow and storms during that time but not very often and then when it does, it's so warm that it melts off the next day. So if a storm gets you stopped for the night, things should be better by morning. But, like I mentioned, that's pretty rare.

Things should be green and growing about then and starting to look pretty.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
At that time, the weather can be anything from gloriously clear blue skies sunny days to rainy/snowy to blizzard conditions with serious road problems including highway closures for a day or so.

Unless you've got an itch to check out the Territorial Prison in Laramie, or similar bits of Western history, I can't say that there's a lot to do ... or see ... along the I-80 corridor. It's a 6 hour drive across the state, and I'd suggest that you check the fuel prices online before you depart. You may find that Cheyenne or Laramie has the best prices, or that Rawlins or Rock Springs had the best ... Evanston usually has better prices than SLC. But not always, so it pays to check them out in advance.

I-80 can be very windy at that time, so be ready to deal with very gusty wind conditions which can take high profile vehicles right off the road.

Personally, having driven many times to the West coast at this time of the year, I'd suggest you consider an alternate route. Perhaps South from Alliance to Sidney and continue South to I-76, which takes you to the Denver area ... with your choice of continuing South on I-25 to Albuquerque and then West on I-40 to I-15, or heading West on I-70 (a more scenic drive than I-80, with lots more "tourist" places to stop for more than a night's lodging and much better food than I-80) to I-15. Be aware that even the high mountain country in these areas can have snowfall. I brought a car back from LA a few years ago at this time and the entire area NE of Las Vegas was shut down, especially from St George UT to SLC ... I went Eastward on surface roads until I got to Alb and then North on I-15, hitting still more snow in the Raton area.

For me, the highlight of traveling West on I-80 is getting to SLC and it's better restaurants than along the I-80 corridor in Wyoming. Of course, either way you do this trip, don't pass the magnet in Sidney under the green watertower, otherwise known as Cabela's.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:07 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,106 times
There are a few historical sites and sites of interest along I-80, depending how far off the Interstate you'd like to go.
Bear with me and my dodgy memory, I'll try to give you exit numbers but may be off a bit...

Taking exit 323 will take you to the Lincoln Monument, it's fairly interesting.
Taking exit 211 into Rawlins on I-80 business route will take you to the Wyoming Frontier Prison. There is a tour and it is quite interesting.

Past Lyman, Wyoming, take exit 34 and follow the I-80 business route approximately 3 miles or so to Ft. Bridger - a very interesting and restored fort from the Oregon Trail/Mormon Trail et al period. Take the time to do a walking tour!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabehm View Post
My family and I will be traveling from Alliance, NE to San Diego, Ca via across the state of Wyoming. How is the road from Cheyenne to Evanston? Are there any "must-stop" places along the way? Also, how is the weather usually around the 2nd and 3rd week in April? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I think Sunsprit covered everything fairly well. For the sake of scenery and available stops, I, too, would recommend heading into Denver then Taking I-70, or continuing further south and taking I-40. Either of these, and I-80, too, will intersect I-15, which will take you south into the San Diego area.

About the only "must-stop" place along I-80 is a gas station when you need it, and you will, most likely, need it. There are long stretches without, so I don't recommend trying to get to the "next stop" if you're getting pretty low on fuel.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
My only "must Stop" on I-80 west of Veedauwoo (between Cheyenne and Laramie) is Fort Bridger State park
Fort Bridger, Wyoming State Historic Site
usually for a nap under a tree after driving all night

but.... I would opt for the 'cross country route' through Colorado towards Moab, UT. The UT National Parks are superb in April. Don't miss Arches, Bryce, and Zion if you can possibly fit them in.

This should take you through St George, and you can see Nevada Division of State Parks - Valley of Fire State Park (50 miles NE of Las Vegas). It is great, and has nice campgrounds and petrogliphs.

then swing by these parks just west of LV
Red Rock Canyon
Spring Mountain Ranch State Park, a Nevada State Park near Las Vegas

You might plan your route to also go see Joshua Tree NP in SO California
Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service) Possibly even Death Valley. There is a wild flower tracking website that is handy for traveling in the spring through desert country.
DesertUSA - Desert Wildflower Reports California

Sorry, not much WY info... (I usually drive WY at night, unless in Bighorn or Teton Mtn range). But... that (nightdriving) gets me in trouble too, as I missed "Car Henge" last trip through Alliance (as well as some of your great eateries)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-30-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming