Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 AM

15 posts, read 46,947 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the AF and has received orders to F.E. Warren. We are currently stationed in Abilene, TX and I hate it. We are very indifferent about deciding on accepting the orders or not. I would love to have some input from people out there who have lived in this area. I am currently a manager and am wondering what the job market looks like. We see positives and negatives about this....How religous is the town? Please just share your thoughts....I am from NJ and am missing the culture that is available and he is from a small town in MO (he is used to small, I am not!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM

362 posts, read 918,899 times
We were stationed at FE Warren '84-'88. We are originally from PA(Pittsburgh). Cheyenne was a welcomed slower pace of life for us. After 20yrs with the USAF and now retired,(from the AF) we have moved back to Cheyenne. We again wanted that slower, laid back lifestyle. Cheyenne has a very large retired military community and a great VA Hospital. If retired military folks settle on Cheyenne that should say something positive about the town. The only downside is the wind in the winter. It goes with the territory out here in the West. Trust me, it's not just Cheyenne that "get's the wind". Pick any state you want in this region of the country and you have wind.

Positives & negatives.................let's be honest, you can say that for any place in the country. No place is perfect and there is going to be give & take no matter where you live. I see Cheyenne as having more positives.

Religious? Cheyenne is a city of "faith" as much as any other. I am not sure as to why you pose this question? If you mean religious in a negative way, like a major influence, the answer form my experience is no.

You can not compare WY to NJ or PA for that matter for culture. WY is a great place to live and raise children. It is the least populated state in the US. If you want the East Coast lifestyle you will not find it here. You can however drive to Ft. Collins, Co(45 miles) or Denver(100 miles) and get all the big city you want. You may find that Cheyenne will grow on you as it did us and many others. I have had all the "culture" and "big city" I want, to me that stuff is way overrated.

By the way, FE Warren is a beautiful and very historic AF base.

You may want to check out www.wyomingatwork.com and Google Wyoming jobs for some insight to your field of work.

Pray on it and take a leap of faith. It's only temporary.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 AM

Thank you for your response. What I mean as far as the religious questions is, in Abilene you are pretty much defined by the church you go to. A number of the times when meeting someone the first question is "What church do you go to?" I have even heard someone state that their child was told they can't hang with another bc they didn't go to the same church. I have never seen anything like this before and it is def something that has made me not enjoy being here. Religion is religion and people should not be judge my what they choose. Anyway, What is available in Cheyenne as fas as retail? Are there a number of homes with land for sale at reasonable prices? We have two horses that we would bring with us if we decided to go.

My husband thinks that I will not like it there due to the number of people in the town, here I don't mind the size it is just the "types" of people---I hope I'm explaining this correctly....

Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I've never experienced what you're found with religion while living and traveling in Wyoming (21 years I've been in WY). I'm sure it exists somewhere, but it's likely the exception and not the rule.

Cheyenne has a fairly good retail sector, and what you can't find locally, you can get in either Ft Collins or Denver with just a short and easy drive. If you're wondering about something Specific, pull up google maps and you can do a search by proximity. For homes, and homes with land... you can search online all you like, but I've found that there is Nothing that beats a local Realtor. It's a crap shoot in picking out someone, but you should start looking now.

I, personally, don't like Cheyenne due Strictly to the aesthetics/landscape. But I've been spoiled by growing up in Lander, WY so my perception is a touch skewed.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:26 AM

What's up with the landscape? In Abilene the dirt is like clay so it has been a challenge for is keeping the pastures growing for our horses.....is there a problem like that in WY? Im sure it rains more then down here but....................

Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
lol... no, I mean it's FLAT. "High Plains" is the term, just means flat and semi-desert like.

I've spent the majority of my life looking up at the continental divide that runs along the highest peaks in Wyoming. I'm spoiled. :P That's all I meant. Now, a LOT more people live in Cheyenne than Lander, and there has to be a reason. Again, understand that I'm biased... (and was fortunate enough to have the option to move Back to Lander with the Gov. as my wife worked with the Public Health Service on the Reservation).

Sorry, don't mean to make it sound bad. There is a lot of production farming of hay in the state, so you should have no worries in pasture for your horses.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the great information, is there anything else you can share with me about Cheyenne? Is their anyone that is currently stationed at F.E. Warren that can share some insight on what the base is like?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:44 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times
Did you check out the AFB's website?F.E. Warren Air Force Base - Home
They might have some of the information you are seeking.
Cheyenne Wyoming chamber of commerce also has a website The Greater Cheyenne Chamber of Commerce - Home
I'm sure you could do a search for more. As well as doing an image search on a search engine. Good luck

Old 01-08-2009, 04:39 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollposse View Post
Thanks for the great information, is there anything else you can share with me about Cheyenne? Is their anyone that is currently stationed at F.E. Warren that can share some insight on what the base is like?
F E Warren is one of the more historic and scenic bases in the AF, as it was originally founded as a US Cavalry fort. Most of the architecture is brick, and because it's a Historic Site, the base must be maintained in its original form. The large, ornate officer quarters have housed the likes of Blackjack Pershing and Billy Mitchell, and there is historic brick NCO housing as well. However, be wary of the new contractor owned and operated housing on the southeast corner of the base, since it's pretty trashy looking.

BX/Commissary are medium sized but more than satisfactory. Hospital is fairly new and looks nice from the outside.

Antelope roam the base like they own the place.

All in all. FEW is a fine assignment, and far better than Dyess, IMHO.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 10,610 times
I'm so glad I found your post. We just got orders to FE. We won't PCS though until my hubby does a year in Korea. I'm from MS, so it will be a culture shock for me My hub has been there before, it was one of his first assignments in the AF and he's so excited to be going back. I have no clue whatsoever about what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming