Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM

254 posts, read 879,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Good point. Who passes that legislation?? I'm not sure honestly asking?
(My apologies, Kristy, but while this isn't about WY--it does affect WY. Question asked--answer offered....)

H.R. 2, the 4 1/2 year reauthorization of the Children's Health Insurance Program (formerly S-CHIP), was passed by the House (290-135) and the Senate (66-32), and signed into law by President Obama. "Payment" for this reauthorization is the hiked cigarette tax (from 39 cents to $1.0066 per pack).

My opinion--a politically popular general funding program should not be subsidized by a politically unpopular (and perhaps arbitrary?) minority (smokers). Remember the campaign pledge, "no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase"? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 95.8% of tobacco expenditures are made by consumer units (people spending together) who earn under $150,000 a year.

As an aside...people should really learn the difference between a tax cut and a tax credit. Encompassing the 2 terms under the blanket of "tax cut" and then trying (evidently and unfortunately successfully) to sell that to the masses is an insult to our intelligence. Then again, a lot of people are still buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
... We need to do more than watch Montana.
From what I've read, it's more often the Montana politicians who are watching what's happening in Wyoming and wishing they could do the same. If they'd have done that 30 years ago, Montana would have a healthier pocketbook today.

----------------

Here's today's biggest news for Wyoming, and if Obama is successful at snatching $400 MILLION in tax collections due to the state, it could be a top 20 story for the year. Obama wants coal tax money (http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/articles/2009/05/07/news/today/news01.txt - broken link)

This money all comes from a 35-cent per ton tax that was intended to go back to coal producing states to clean up abandoned mine property, etc. Apparently Obama thinks a few states, primarily Wyoming and Montana, don't need that money now, so he wants to keep it. Notice there's no mention of curtailing the tax -- just funneling it to a different project, probably.... I'd better stop before I get carried away. Big bad news for Wyoming, however, no matter what your political persuasion.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM

66 posts, read 153,084 times
jm31828, I certainly do not condone Bush's wreckless spending and waste. It's wrong no matter which party the president is from. But the fact remains that in a mere 100+ days, Obama has wasted more money than 219 *YEARS* of presidents combined (George Washington to George W. Bush). It's not acceptable on anyone's watch.

And, while truly not trying to be a smartmouth here, I will make this local. Here in NY, the East Coast zombies (the majority) think this waste is no problem because they want a cradle to grave nanny government. They don't seem to care that someone has to eventually pay for this and the price includes loss of liberty. One of the reasons I'm thinking about moving to Wyoming is because I gather the majority there do not think the same way as the East Coast zombies.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM

66 posts, read 153,084 times
Thanks yyz1!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,190 times
"The majority of the protesters were there to protest the current tax situation..."

What taxes exactly, income tax, sales tax, property tax, social security taxes, all of these, none of these?
That was the problem with the speakers at Sheridan (and I did not hear them all) that I heard, lots of fine sounding generalities, no specifics. We will accomplish nothing constructive until we define the issues we are fighting, except let off a lot of hot air. Talk is just that, concentrated action is what is needed. Hoping we can do better in July if we get that one off the ground. And if you did not hear anyone bring up the president's name, then a have to wonder if you actually attended, as it was brought up constantly.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:20 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times
Tea Parties in the Chicago area were packed!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudfish View Post
(My apologies, Kristy, but while this isn't about WY--it does affect WY. Question asked--answer offered....)
Yes I totally agree. However the state forums are supposed to be about putting out information for those who are wanting to know more about the state, what is going on in the state ect

As long as we keep the focus on Wyoming, not a prob with me. Just have to make sure we don't turn it into a "general political" discussion. Then I would have to move it to the political forum is all...

Thanks for understanding

Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 AM

13 posts, read 34,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill7719 View Post
Furthermore, the tea parties were about reckless spending. It was about our great, great, great grandchildren (the ones that aren't aborted, that is) footing the bill for wasteful and unnecessary spending. Eventually, someone has to pay for it. It's very selfish to put that on future generations. The founders of this country would be sickened at the kind of government waste going on today.
Yes indeed, we have 4 grandkids at the moment and this sort of thing really bothers my wife & I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming