Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 02:51 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times

Advertisements

Is this a fairly open route in the winter barring extreme weather situations? I'm asking as there is a teaching job in Shoshoni, but we would want to live in a larger town where my husband would have more business opportunity. Just wondering if I should apply and consider commuting. I honestly can't remember what the road between Riverton and Shoshoni is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
It's not usually bad (20 miles), but when it is bad, you don't want to be driving... just like all the rest of the roads in the state. It's generally better than the Lander-Riverton section.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Is this a fairly open route in the winter barring extreme weather situations? I'm asking as there is a teaching job in Shoshoni, but we would want to live in a larger town where my husband would have more business opportunity. Just wondering if I should apply and consider commuting. I honestly can't remember what the road between Riverton and Shoshoni is like.
I commuted every weekday for college from Thermop to Riverton and never had any problems between Shoshoni & Riverton. The canyon between Thermop & Shoshoni was the bad part! True, there were some days when it was icy and the wind can really blow out there, but you just have to drive slowly and be careful. 20 miles isn't that far. As a teacher, you may have more trouble in the mornings when the roads are bad being you'll probably have to leave home before it's very light outside, but at least you can make it home before dark. If the roads get so bad that you shouldn't be on them they are generally closed. Also, small town schools like Shoshoni have a lot of rural kids, so if weather is that bad, then they either cancel school for the day or send everyone home early, etc. I would definitely rather live in Riverton than Shoshoni for your family's sake. Shoshoni is a nice little town, but there's not much there. Have you considered teaching anywhere else? We still have quite a few openings here in Gillette and are getting a nice pay raise for next year. Pay isn't everything, but it sure is nice making the most you can when you consider how hard you work & the # of hours you put into your job! Best wishes to you!
Georgia

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I commuted every weekday for college from Thermop to Riverton and never had any problems between Shoshoni & Riverton. The canyon between Thermop & Shoshoni was the bad part! True, there were some days when it was icy and the wind can really blow out there, but you just have to drive slowly and be careful. 20 miles isn't that far. As a teacher, you may have more trouble in the mornings when the roads are bad being you'll probably have to leave home before it's very light outside, but at least you can make it home before dark. If the roads get so bad that you shouldn't be on them they are generally closed. Also, small town schools like Shoshoni have a lot of rural kids, so if weather is that bad, then they either cancel school for the day or send everyone home early, etc. I would definitely rather live in Riverton than Shoshoni for your family's sake. Shoshoni is a nice little town, but there's not much there.
I've been driving 20+ miles all winter to my student teaching job on Minne-snow-tah roads so it probably wouldn't be much different, but I wanted to make certain. Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Have you considered teaching anywhere else? We still have quite a few openings here in Gillette and are getting a nice pay raise for next year. Pay isn't everything, but it sure is nice making the most you can when you consider how hard you work & the # of hours you put into your job! Best wishes to you!
Georgia
I'm really just looking in Fremont county as I have family there, and know the area (somewhat) and I miss the mountains, red-rock canyons, and sagebrush deserts! Gillette sounds more like a North Dakota town... not mountainous??...but I'll keep it in mind. Especially since there has only been two job listings for English teachers here within 100 miles of my home, and the prospects are looking bleak due to all of the recent lay offs and budget cuts statewide. Lots of teachers and few jobs! I will let my friends who are graduating at the same time know that there are possibles. Is it all grades and disciplines that are hiring? Do you have a link?

Though the job in Shoshoni is for 8th grade, and I'm hoping to teach high school, I'm thinking experience in whatever grade might be a good thing.

Plus Shoshoni has a great place for milk shakes, from what I remember

Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
The openings available in our district seem to change on a weekly basis. One week there are a lot of elem. jobs, the next a few high school positions, the next lots of SPED, etc. You just have to watch the website. It is:
ccsd.k12.wy.us. I remember you saying you have family in Fremont Co. so it does make sense that you focus there. My brother lived in Riverton for many, many years and loved it there. He only moved because of his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming