Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:54 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
There are other things that make Star Valley desirable. If all you are looking at is price than they would not be looking here.
If you had posted that comment without it being a direct response to my quote you used, then I'd have let it slide ...

But since you have since taken offense and feel challenged that I had the nerve to ask you what your thoughts were for the benefit of the readers on this thread, the OP, and myself (as an interested and capable Real Estate investor) ... in a non-confrontational manner ...

I'd say you don't know what you're talking about. You just needed to put your feelings on the line ... emoting ... instead of giving us the facts that you assert you have in hand. I call BS on this.

So now I'll challenge you: Put your knowledge on the line. Post it on this thread. Tell us what other attributes would be of value to the OP in the Star Valley for a successful ranching operation ... especially one of a smaller operation where the potential income stream may be rather limited. Tell us what justifies a significant premium in land prices over some of the other areas I suggested might work for a successful ranch operation, if you can.

Let's keep the discussion open and honest here on the thread where all can see it.

I have no intention of insulting your intelligence, and I welcome your real knowledge if you've got it. I'm not trying to be rude, offensive, or confrontational. I simply asked for information and you took offense. In my view, that's like a lot of folks coming to Wyoming who worry about prejudice ... the prejudice you'll find is that which you brought here with you. Absent your response with some virtues about the Star Valley, I infer that your Lordship invokes the "imperial" attitude that to politely inquire about your thinking is to challenge it ... which was never my intent. I truly was interested in your observations about the Star Valley.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-14-2009 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:04 PM

382 posts, read 936,804 times
"]If you had posted that comment without it being a direct response to my quote you used, then I'd have let it slide ..."

I quoted you becuause you, quoted me. That was the only reason I addressed you.

"But since you have taken offense and feel challenged that I had the nerve to ask you what your thoughts were for the benefit of the readers on this thread, the OP, and myself (as an interested and capable Real Estate investor) ... in a non-confrontational manner ..."

If the OP asks me questions I will be happy to answer.

"I'd say you don't know what you're talking about. You just needed to put your feelings on the line ... emoting ... instead of giving us the facts that you assert you have in hand. I call BS on this. "

What subject is it that I don't know what I am talking about?

So now I'll challenge you: Put your knowledge on the line. Post it on this thread. Tell us what other attributes would be of value to the OP in the Star Valley for a successful ranching operation ... especially one of a smaller operation where the potential income stream may be rather limited.

Could you point out to me where I said that the reasons had anything to do with a successful ranching operation?

[/quote]

Old 05-14-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
There are some more reasonable pieces of land in Star Valley. It reallly depends on what you need for land. It sounds to me like you will not have a large amount of animals, more like a select small breeding group.

I could PM you a couple of names for really good agents that could point you in the right direction. The selling season is just starting here and I have seen some really nice well priced properties show up.

Most people here in the valley buy their winter feed and therefore need less land.
You were getting pretty specific here about tieing the OP's land search for ranching purposes.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Absolutely. I've already pointed that out. But the OP wanted to relocate to Jackson because her husband might be able to land the job as a car rental agency branch manager.

Seriously, though ... the Star Valley is expensive for ranch land due to the tourism/retirement and scenery (with soils and water pretty good) compared to many other places in Wyoming. Ranchland in the South Central, SE corridor, Eastern corridor, and even up around Cody or Buffalo is much more reasonably priced. Closer to it's productive value instead of it's speculative value or tourist value. You can still get land around these areas for $1,000 per acre ... or less, if it's a large parcel. Not very likely in the Star Valley, where you typically see land prices that are multiples of those numbers ... much higher cost per acre than the land's productive value.
In quoting your response #14, I was agreeing with your post about more reasonably priced land values in the Star Valley. What part of that did you not understand?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
"][b]

If the OP asks me questions I will be happy to answer.
snip ]
So you'd rather have this discussion about land and properties in the Star Valley privately with the OP.

That kind'a defeats the purpose of an open forum online, doesn't it?

Surely you had good things to say about the Star Valley that would benefit us all?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
"][b]What subject is it that I don't know what I am talking about?

We can't know that until you take the effort to disclose the information that you alluded to that you had.

Could you point out to me where I said that the reasons had anything to do with a successful ranching operation?

Sure 'nuff ... your response, in quoting me, was a continuation of the thread where I was specifically addressing that issue.
[/quote]

Are you that logically challenged that you can't follow a thread that you've responded and quoted?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
So you'd rather have this discussion about land and properties in the Star Valley privately with the OP.

That kind'a defeats the purpose of an open forum online, doesn't it?

Surely you had good things to say about the Star Valley that would benefit us all?

You do tend to assume. I said nothing about privately. I answered her last post in the forum. the only thing I have PM'd is a name of a realtor.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM

Are you that logically challenged that you can't follow a thread that you've responded and quoted?[/quote]

This will be the last post of yours that I will respond to. You seem to be looking for a fight and it does not help the OP in any way.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Are you that logically challenged that you can't follow a thread that you've responded and quoted?

This will be the last post of yours that I will respond to. You seem to be looking for a fight and it does not help the OP in any way.[/quote]

NO, I most emphatically was seeking the beneficial information that you alluded to possessing about the Star Valley.

What you don't know is that I've been looking at land there to buy, a ranch that had an airstrip and other amenities which were of interest to me ... near Afton.

But since you'd rather play your "high dugeon" games and take offense with feigned "righteous indignation" attitudes, I guess we won't know what all the gloriously valuable information is that you've got about the Star Valley.

Thanks for nothing.

I won't descend into name calling, but I'm not going to come away from this thread with any implication that you do know what you're talking about. And yes, the OP did ask repeatedly for you to share your information here on the thread ....

So very sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilites. Try to have a better day.

In all candor, I really hope that your attitude is not typical of the folks in the Afton area. You seem to want to find offense in others asking questions and determine offensive emotions hidden in a reasonable question ... rather than simply answering that reasonable and sincere question, especially when it's you yourself that alluded to the valuable information that you've got.

But you've given me a wealth of reasons why right now I'm leaning toward not going ahead with a substantial purchase (7 figures +, a tax deferred commercial property exchange) in the Afton area, which I've traveled in and stayed a fair number of times through the years. Your responses here strike me as typical of folks who would rather emote than think .... not the type of folks I want to depend on as they would depend upon me. I've got other places to invest in Wyoming under consideration ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-14-2009 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 AM

Utahstar

Star Valley is a wonderfull and vibrant community with lots to offer. I live and work in the Valley and have lived and worked in Jackson as well. I have friends and associates that farm and ranch. The business I am in keeps me up to date on what is happening the business and realestate community. I would be happy to provide any help I can.

Development and the proximity to Jackson has made purchasing land for full scale ranching purposes not as financially viable.The area does however offer lots of other employment opportunities that would not be available in other smaller ranching communities. Combine those opportunities,the great scenery and clean air, the wonderfull recreational activities and the tax benefits from having your business in Wyoming and it could make it a winning choice for your future.

I don't think it would be as "people free" as you rememeber but the beauty of the area is that you can easily get to places in minutes where you can be away from any hustle and bustle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming