Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times

Advertisements

I think South Pass would be an enjoyable stop for you. It was 14 years ago this week that I stopped there for a short visit, then went on to see, if I remember correctly, Miners Delight -- another "gold rush" ghost town a little north of South Pass that's been left more "unrestored". Some of the buildings have been reinforced so they won't fall into a heap, but for the most part they've been left alone with the elements. These pictures were taken on that trip -- actually among the last pictures my late wife took before her untimely death a week later. You won't find many tourists at places like this, but you might find it more interesting than some of those ghost towns that have been "fixed up". As I recall there's a small cemetery 500 yards or so from the townsite.

Miners Delight1
Miners Delight2
Miners Delight3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:47 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeco View Post
I'm so glad you wrote re the South Pass City/Atlantic City sites. I love little places like they sound. I was planning on stopping there but secretly was afraid they might be one of those historic sites that end up being a bunch of nothing. I used to have maps for years of old towns, ghost town kind of places, places I wanted to visit, but those maps are long gone. Now I ill check out Red Canyon. It looks beautiful. thanks!
Atlantic City is supposed to have a good eatery.. The Atlantic City Mercantile. I've not had the pleasure but you might want to check it out.

If you go through Lander to Dubois, you might want to stop at Fort Washakie. There is, iirc, a Native American gift shop there.

I can also recommend a great sub shop in Lander called the Breadboard, if you are looking for food on the go.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:23 PM

97 posts, read 155,389 times
Miner's Delight is the kind of place that I love...the *unrestored*....plus the cemetary would be great. I need to check to see if it's still there or accessible since that was 14 years ago...Thanks for taking the time to find/send those pictures. I'm sorry about your wife. I'm glad you were able to share these places...I hope you both enjoyed them. I'm sort of the only one in my family that likes this kind of thing and I just love it. My computer has really been acting up so I hope it straightens out so I can continue to investigate. Also, Froggie, the restaurants are good to know. I know we will be looking for food on the go. I think we're going to try to just make it to Lander and stay that first night. Seems like a plan. Now my daughter and her husband were able to get an earlier flight that day on SWest so we have several more hours that first day, which is great since that's when we'll be passing through the Rock Springs/South Pass/Atlantic City areas, and hopefully Miner's Delight. I think I read that South Pass City and Atlantic City are similar but need to double check that, so maybe could skip one of those if that's the case. I'd skip one of those if I had to in order to find Miner's Delight and have time for it. After all this time on this thread I always wondered why there wasn't an automatic notification when someone responded.....I just found it..

Old 05-24-2009, 11:18 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
if I were to skip any on the list it would be Rock Springs.. and possibly Atlantic city (which is very similar to South Pass but without the living museum).

It's hard to pick and choose but I'm with you.. I like the historical places. Lander's got lots of places to eat.. in a variety of price ranges. Gannet Grill is also good and Cowfish is supposed to be more upscale good. Might want to make reservations for hotels, since it's a touristy area, and I'm not sure of what the traffic will be like at the time you go.

Wyonewk, sorry to hear about your wife . It's no fun to lose a loved one.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:49 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,568 times
Quote:
Miner's Delight is the kind of place that I love...the *unrestored*....plus the cemetary would be great. I need to check to see if it's still there or accessible since that was 14 years ago...Thanks for taking the time to find/send those pictures. I'm sorry about your wife. I'm glad you were able to share these places...I hope you both enjoyed them. I'm sort of the only one in my family that likes this kind of thing and I just love it. My computer has really been acting up so I hope it straightens out so I can continue to investigate. Also, Froggie, the restaurants are good to know. I know we will be looking for food on the go. I think we're going to try to just make it to Lander and stay that first night. Seems like a plan. Now my daughter and her husband were able to get an earlier flight that day on SWest so we have several more hours that first day, which is great since that's when we'll be passing through the Rock Springs/South Pass/Atlantic City areas, and hopefully Miner's Delight. I think I read that South Pass City and Atlantic City are similar but need to double check that, so maybe could skip one of those if that's the case. I'd skip one of those if I had to in order to find Miner's Delight and have time for it. After all this time on this thread I always wondered why there wasn't an automatic notification when someone responded.....I just found it..
post up when you get back! unless you can do it while traveling-like to hear how your trip went

Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM

The trip was AWESOME and I don't use that word often. I was going to write when I got back but thought maybe I had worn everyone out so I'm glad you asked! We started in Flagstaff, went through Sedona, Grand Canyon....all just beautiful. The drive through Arizona was something else. My husband is the one who wanted to see the Grand Canyon...for some reason I didn't, but it was like a sucker punch, a good one. It was a beautiful day and it was magnificent. Anyway, on then to SLC and into WY. Wyoming was all and more than I could have wanted. We stopped at South Pass and actually did not pay for the tour or that area that you pay but just walked around and went into a little store. We had to make it to Lander that night. Not spending more time at South Pass was fine with me because I wanted more time at Miner's Delight and we had plenty of time there. It was great to be there...so quiet and so much for the imagination. We spent the night in Lander, not time to do much but have dinner and sleep. Got up and headed to Buffalo. I think this is the day we went through Thermopolis (sp?), up that way, through several other little towns. We really just enjoyed the drive. That was one day the weather was not good and the moutains we went over....16 maybe?....were very foggy but beautiful. We made it to Buffalo and the Occidental I loved. It is a must for anyone. Hard to describe and I'm so glad it was suggested to me. The bar was great, the restaurant, the Outlaw Suite. We almost had the place to ourselves so could really explore and let our imaginations roam. Then the next day Fetterman, skipped Boxcar because that was also the day for Little Big Horn. Spent the day there and will never forget it. It was suggested by the owner of the Occidental that we go all the way to the back and start from the back, rather than hit the visitor center first, and she said we'd start to see why Custer did what he did. I don't know about that but we did the drive that way and at one point I did start to feel some desperation as the fight was almost to the end. I can't even describe how I felt that day. That was my destination on this trip and I sort of keep it in a special place in my brain and bring it out to experience it a little bit at a time. Very powerful. So, that night on to Cody. Stayed there that night and the next and loved the town. Had several people say they were disappointed but we weren't. Didn't feel we had time to do the Historical Center justice and were happy with walking around, going to Old Trail Town and the collection of artifacts across the street. Dinner at the Irma. Great hotel but in my opinion nothing to touch the Occidental. Then the next morning through Yellowstone, on to Jackson Hole, stayed in Logan, UT that night and SLC the next day and that was it. It was a wonderful trip and I can't thank you all enough for your help in the planning. I would have missed so much without your help. Oh, also went to Sacajawea's supposed burial site around Ft. Washaka (sp?). The days sort of blend together in my mind now. We could have used another month or at least two weeks more. I am already planning or thinking about next year. My husband really was not up for this but says it's the best trip he's ever taken.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Jaeco,
I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. You really packed a lot of sightseeing into a short time. Maybe next trip you can work in at least a couple weeks. Vacations are never long enough.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
thx for the trip report, it is good to know what you found, and glad you had a good time.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Default 2011 Version of Trip

This original postings were from a trip we made in 2009 and it was really the BESt trip I think we've made, driving trip that is. Everyone was so helpful and made the trip what it was.

This time my questions are a lot less complicated. I really do want to take the same trip but I'm wondering about a couple things. I am again flying into SLC, Miner's Delight, on to Lander, WY, through Thermopolis, Fort Washakie, Riverton, Buffalo, Story, Crow Agency, Cody...now my question. This time we have a few more days but not many, but from Cody we last time drove through Yellowstone, out and down through Jackson Hole, back to SLC. I dont' care about going to Jackson Hole and am wondering about going from Cody, through Dubois, then backtrack a little I guess and go through some of that beginning drive and back to SLC? We have from July 17 back to SLC to leave July 25th.

My notes I kept as well as the travel info and I have that next time I wanted to go through I think it's Wind Country area. Would you want to go through Dubois enough that you'd want to backtrack some getting back to SLC? I guess I don't see why not. I thought the drive out of Yellowstone down through Jackson Hole and through ID to SLC was fine but don't necessarily need to do it again.

Also, since we're just driving through the park and not really time to spend there, I guess we could skip that if need be so the main question is leaving Cody and going back to SLC is up in the air.

Thanks for any suggestions this time.
Jaeco

Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,290,042 times
Quote:
This original postings were from a trip we made in 2009 and it was really the BESt trip I think we've made, driving trip that is. Everyone was so helpful and made the trip what it was.

This time my questions are a lot less complicated. I really do want to take the same trip but I'm wondering about a couple things. I am again flying into SLC, Miner's Delight, on to Lander, WY, through Thermopolis, Fort Washakie, Riverton, Buffalo, Story, Crow Agency, Cody...now my question. This time we have a few more days but not many, but from Cody we last time drove through Yellowstone, out and down through Jackson Hole, back to SLC. I dont' care about going to Jackson Hole and am wondering about going from Cody, through Dubois, then backtrack a little I guess and go through some of that beginning drive and back to SLC? We have from July 17 back to SLC to leave July 25th.

My notes I kept as well as the travel info and I have that next time I wanted to go through I think it's Wind Country area. Would you want to go through Dubois enough that you'd want to backtrack some getting back to SLC? I guess I don't see why not. I thought the drive out of Yellowstone down through Jackson Hole and through ID to SLC was fine but don't necessarily need to do it again.

Also, since we're just driving through the park and not really time to spend there, I guess we could skip that if need be so the main question is leaving Cody and going back to SLC is up in the air.

Thanks for any suggestions this time.
Jaeco
if you did come back down from Yellowstone on US89, a short hike from the tail head up Swift Creek Canyon you will see the world biggest intermitting spring, with the snow this year late July might be too early for it to be shutting off and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming