Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,711 times

Advertisements

Hi, My name is Tiffany and Iam 24 years old orginally from montana. Iam currently living in washington and decided i wanted to come back to the montana/wyoming area so i can attend school. It seems that Larmie has the program i would really love to enroll in and iam seriously considering this move. However, I would like to hear how the town is like.
Is it hard to get a place that allows pets?? (I have a german shepard...and refuse to move without her..) Also, how is the town as far as jobs? Iam looking for something working in the kitchen at a hospital or something...its kind of related to what i wanna do for my major. Also how is the weather there? Is there alot of snow during the winter time?? Im a big fan of that..
I'm not realy a city girl and just mostly wanna go to laramie for my education...so i guess those were a few of my concerns. If anyone could give me some heads up on how the town is like and whatnot i would really appriciate it! Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
Hopefully a current student will hop in here and give you up-to-date info, but I can probably give you and idea, even though it's been a decade since my daughter graduated from UW.

Student housing, even the apartments for married/older students, do not allow dogs. I know that because I had the honor of dog-sitting during her last year at UW. My (now) son-in-law rented a large old house with several other students, and they were able to have dogs there.

As a current landlord and someone who used to rent, I can tell you that finding a decent rental that allows pets will not be real easy. I have one pretty nice townhouse in Gillette in which I do allow certain dogs, but I charge an extra $500 damage deposit plus an extra $50/month rent. (It should be much more, as I've been burned badly by pet-owning renters. The last one cost me $6,000!) My son bought his first home because he couldn't find a place to rent that would allow his dog.

My daughter had no problem getting part-time jobs during the 5 years she attended the university. She worked at a pizza place for awhile, at a drug store for awhile, and as a professor's assistant for awhile. Kitchen jobs are usually plentiful, and if it's related to your major you should have good luck. (My daughter got the job at the drug store because she was a pharmacy student.)

The elevation at Laramie is 7165 feet, so it's cold and windy. It gets snow, but most of the big snows stay in the mountains near the town. Laramie depends heavily on the university for its prosperity.

In my opinion, UW is an excellent smaller university. I worked with UW department heads for years recruiting grads, and I knew national chain recruiters who preferred UW students over those from most universities. It reminds me of Iowa State when I was a student there in the 60s -- big enough to be taken seriously, but small enough that you don't get lost in the crowds.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 14,189 times
can anyone tell me the towns around gillette within a 25 mile distance so i can research them?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlroos View Post
can anyone tell me the towns around gillette within a 25 mile distance so i can research them?
Rozet. It's 15 miles east. I think there's a house or two, an elementary school, and a topless bar.

If you extended your search to 40 miles you'd find Moorcroft, 30 miles east, and Wright, 38 miles south.

Wright was built to accommodate the coal mines when they started up about 35 years ago. Moorcroft is an older town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming