Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 AM

382 posts, read 936,659 times

Advertisements

How is it going in your area of the state?

We have almost 11 inches of rain this year so far( 2" this last week). The normal is 16 inches per year.

It is very green!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
This area has had some slow soaking rain but we definately need more. Last week, just before the rain started, I noticed the pastures already browning up a bit.

Would be nice to get a few days of warm sunshine tho.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
It doesn't seem like it, but we're 2.5 inches below normal for the year in Gillette.

Jack Frost makes June visit (http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/articles/2009/06/09/news/yesterday/news01.txt - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 PM

161 posts, read 640,269 times
As someone who is considering Wyoming and the western areas of Nebraska and South Dakota, I was just wondering if this is normal weather.

I mean, I know this is a time of year when you would get some rain and thunderstorms, but it seems like they have been getting rain every single day for weeks, and looking at the extended forecast, it looks like there is chance every day for the next 10+. I realize it does not rain all day, but is it normal to have this long stretch of unsettled weather, or is this an unusual year.

One of the things that has drawn me to the area is that is supposedly "semi-arid", but you would never know it looking at this forecast.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
That's the one thing about living close to the Rocky's. As you call it, the "Unsettled weather" is actually normal. I can't remember a spring that was actually predictable.

Our swimming pool usually opens the first week of June. 3 years ago it was delayed because of the snow and cold weather. Last year, you could have opened it 2 weeks earlier.

I can vouch for Sheridan in that our springs are usually wet and unpredictable. We'll have a week or so of cold and rain and then 3 or 4 days of nice. followed by a week or so of cold and rain and again, nice. This year, we had a week or so of rain and cold with an afternoon of nice.

It just seems like this year has been drawn out with rain but it hasn't actually rained as much as predicted. We still need a lot more soaking rain to bring a smile to the ranchers. The farmers would like to see a week of hot sunshine to get things started and then it can rain again. Just can't please everyone.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,706 times
As much as I love the rain and as much as we need it, it would have been nice to have gotten this a month or so ago instead of right now. My plants are dying because they are getting their roots soaked and they can't bloom without the sun. I wish it would rain good in the evenings and sunshine for most of the day. Even if it would warm up to 70 degrees while it rained would be nice as well. This cold rain/light drizzle sucks.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
As much as I love the rain and as much as we need it, it would have been nice to have gotten this a month or so ago instead of right now. My plants are dying because they are getting their roots soaked and they can't bloom without the sun. I wish it would rain good in the evenings and sunshine for most of the day. Even if it would warm up to 70 degrees while it rained would be nice as well. This cold rain/light drizzle sucks.
can't you put plastic covering over them... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3577/...657343.jpg?v=0
something like that.. that wouldn't completely block the elements but might help act as a green house?

We've had a lot of rain here as well.. I think it's all over..but it's been very cool this spring. a lot of late snow and cold has made the growing season sluggish

Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
can't you put plastic covering over them... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3577/...657343.jpg?v=0
something like that.. that wouldn't completely block the elements but might help act as a green house?

We've had a lot of rain here as well.. I think it's all over..but it's been very cool this spring. a lot of late snow and cold has made the growing season sluggish
I'd have to convince my DH to help me do something like that. He wasn't all to thrilled with helping me cover them the other day when we got below freezing temps. My peonies have been ready to bloom for the past week and all they need is just a couple of days of sunshine to finally burst open. I'm worried the buds are going to rot before they open and I know that it's not good for the roots to be soggy all the time, for any of my plants. Most of them prefer well drained soil. Our small vegi garden isn't doing all that well either. My DH's tomato plants are turning purple and haven't bloomed yet either. The cucumbers and pumpkins are just sitting there doing nothing.

Again I'll have to see if DH will help me. Maybe it will help, definately couldn't hurt. Thanks for the link and idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming