Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,362 times

Advertisements

Wow.. dueling answers! and I hadn't seen the pictures before. Just read about it. I saw it called the Yellowstone Earthquake of 59 and the Lake Hebgen earthquake. So either would be correct. And I was looking for changes in Yellowstone park, which you both listed several.

Students in one of the 7th grade science classes I helped out in recently were learning about the earth quakes around the world. To think that the recent earth quake that leveled Port au Prince Haiti was a 7.0 makes you appreciate the size of the one that was felt across Wyoming in 59. I always learn so much from these posts.

Since EH was first to post, it's his shot at the next question.

oh.. and just noted .. the most recent earth quake in Wyoming was yesterday.. a 3.6 located 26 or so miles from Jackson, WY... did any of you feel it??
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2010rvce.php#details (broken link)

Last edited by Froggie Legs; 01-24-2010 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
John Colter, an adventurer who had left the Lewis and Clark Expedition, is the first known white man to journey into the caldera and view the amazing geothermal features. He described what he saw as “hot spring brimstone.” In the 1850s, the famous trapper, Jim Bridger called it "___ _____ _____ ____ _______ ____”

Old 01-24-2010, 11:06 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
ElkHunter beat me by 9 seconds LOL Way to go ElkHunter!

It took me that long to post photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
What's the old saying? You snooze you loose. I thought about posting pictures and then decided not to because it would take too long. Glad I didn't.
You guys are too much! Some days the topics sit idle for many hours, and now you're both answering within 9 seconds of each other! That was too funny.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
John Colter, an adventurer who had left the Lewis and Clark Expedition, is the first known white man to journey into the caldera and view the amazing geothermal features. He described what he saw as “hot spring brimstone.” In the 1850s, the famous trapper, Jim Bridger called it "___ _____ _____ ____ _______ ____”
Wow, I had to look at a lot of websites before I came up with the answer to this one.

Quote:
In the 1850s, the famous trapper, Jim Bridger called it "the place where Hell bubbled up.”

Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 PM

Since I'm pretty sure that was the answer ElkHunter was looking for, and since I'm just about off to bed, I'll post the next one.

EH, if my answer wasn't the one you were looking for, let us know, so this one can be "stricken from the record."

If it was correct, and I think it was, this is the next "question:"

Quote:
Geothermal activity, as seen in Yellowstone Park, requires two main ingredients; an abundance of _____ and intense ____. Yellowstone National Park has both in large quantities.
Fill in the two blanks above.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Since I'm pretty sure that was the answer ElkHunter was looking for, and since I'm just about off to bed, I'll post the next one.

EH, if my answer wasn't the one you were looking for, let us know, so this one can be "stricken from the record."

If it was correct, and I think it was, this is the next "question:"

Fill in the two blanks above.

Water and intense heat.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Wow, I had to look at a lot of websites before I came up with the answer to this one.
Outstanding. You got it. I found this when I was researching the Earthquake. It was in the next paragraph.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Water and intense heat.
Those were the answers I was looking for. Your turn!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM

In 1825 a famed fur trapper, with his company of men and a business partner, attended an event at this place in Wyoming:

What is the name of the event and/or the name of this place, and the name of the fur trapper .

Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
In 1825 a famed fur trapper, with his company of men and a business partner, attended an event at this place in Wyoming:

What is the name of the event and/or the name of this place, and the name of the fur trapper .
1825 Rendezvous, Burnt Fork, Wyoming, N41° 2' 33.1" W109° 59' 39.2", or Henry’s Fork of the Green River. William Ashley wrote:

Quote:
On the 1st day of july, all the men in my employ or with whom I had any concern in the country, together with twenty-nine, who had recently withdrawn from the Hudson Bay company, making in all 120 men, were assembled in two camps near each other about 20 miles distant from the place appointed by me as a general rendezvous, when it appeared that we had been scattered over the territory west of the mountains in small detachments from the 38th to the 44th degree of latitude, and the only injury we had sustained by Indian depredations was the stealing of 17 horses by the Crows on the night of the 2nd april, as before mentioned, and the loss of one man killed on the headwaters of the Rio Colorado, by a party of Indians unknown.

Part of Ashley’s one hundred and twenty men were at least twelve men with Etienne Provost from Taos and possibly other Indians besides those that had defected from Peter Skene Ogden of the Hudson’s Bay Company with seven hundred pelts.

Ashley left the day after the gathering and took his furs over South Pass and down the Bighorn Canyon to near present Thermopolis, Wyoming. The furs were loaded into bullboats and floated down the Bighorn and the Yellowstone rivers to the Missouri River where Ashley met the Atkinson-O'Fallon Expedition. General Henry Atkinson and Indian agent Benjamin O’Fallon had come up the Missouri in a paddle wheeler to negotiate treaties with the various Indian tribes along the Missouri River, and they hauled William Ashley’s furs to St. Louis.
Reference Rendezvous Sites Locations Mountain Man Pictures Maps Historical Facts Mountain Men Fur Trade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming