Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times

Advertisements

The BQ between Cokeville and Kemmerer had a huge barn full of ox bows, they used alot of oxen. Don't know when the barn burned down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
It's a shoe for an Ox.

Wyoming significance I don't know other than they were used to pull wagons & for pulling farm equipment. Often preferred over horses because they were cheaper to buy & cheaper to feed.
You go it 3-Oaks.

The relevance is that it is a common artifact found along the Oregon Trail and Mormon Trail, where thousands of oxen pulled wagons transported immigrants in their travels west. It was also a staple that the immigrants needed to carry in their supplies as they often had to be replaced along the way.

Quote:
Worn Ox Shoe.jpg
South Pass Oregon Mormon Trail Lander Cutoff Landmarkers Facts Maps Pictures>

Many can be found along the Oregon and Mormon trails that passed through Wyoming.

Covered wagon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While covered wagons traveling short distances on good roads could be drawn by horses, those crossing the plains were usually drawn by a team of two or more pairs of oxen. These were driven by a teamster or drover, who walked at the left side of the team and directed the oxen with verbal commands and whipcracks. Mules were also used; they were harnessed and driven by someone sitting in the wagon seat holding the reins.

Overland Migration Artifacts
Overland Migration Artifacts

Ox shoe and hoof (from a cow, not an ox). Oxen were the preferred draft animal for a wagon. They were less expensive, easier to feed, more durable, and less attractive to thieves.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:14 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
Sorry! Should not have answered that last one when we were going out of town for the weekend & then never even turned on the computer yesterday.

I'll have to look for a question & don't have time right now, so if someone else already has found a question, go for it!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 AM

OK I have one:

Who painted the first Euro-American produced visual records of what is now Wyoming?

Hint: he traveled with Wyoming's first "dude".

Old 04-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Hint:

Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 PM

278 posts, read 606,201 times
I believe that it is called Louis - Rocky Mountain Trapper, painted by Alfred Jacob Miller

Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
I believe that it is called Louis - Rocky Mountain Trapper, painted by Alfred Jacob Miller
Congratulations Poletop, your first post is correct. Your turn.

Quote:
Many of the annual rendezvous were held in what is now Wyoming, most along the Upper Green River in the neighborhood of present-day Pinedale... The rendezvous captured the attention of local Native Americans who participated in the lively trade and contests at the brief mid-summer carnivals. Sir William Drummond Stewart, a Scottish nobleman, came to the 1837 rendezvous.* He had made a similar visit three years earlier by paying the supply company to transport him to the site. (He became Wyoming’s first "dude" as a result). This time, Stewart brought with him a Baltimore artist, Alfred Jacob Miller. In the days before cameras, Stewart wanted a permanent record of the colorful rendezvous. From the sketches Miller made that year, he painted dozens of canvases of* rendezvous scenes. They became the first Euro-American produced visual records of what is now Wyoming.*
MORE PHOTOS OF HIS WORK:

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumb...ng-A-Lasso.jpg
http://www.artsales.com/ARTistory/Hi...ow_scout_A.jpg
http://www.tfaoi.com/cm/6cm/6cm297.jpg
http://www.tfaoi.com/cm/6cm/6cm299.jpg

Old 04-21-2010, 09:07 PM

OK, here goes my first question. This gentleman was born in 1901, moved with his family to Wyoming in 1906. Opened the first recreation site in Wyoming, west of the Wind River Range. Transported fish in five gallon milk cans, twelve at a time using six pack horses , stocked over 300 lakes with over 2.5 million little trout, all free for the public to enjoy. He served in the Wyoming House of Representatives, and has one of a very few land forms in the country that was named after a living American.

Here is one of my favorite qoites from him: "Throughout this century I have roamed this wilderness, communing with nature, observing other creatures along with myself, merely desiring to live and let live. Because of this aloneness, I’ve learned to love, not only those of my own kind, but all life within a wilderness; the birds, the beasts, the trees, the flowers, and the grasses of the land. Only in wilderness, it seems, is man’s love so thoroughly and completely returned, so unselfishly shared”

Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Finis Mitchell

Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Good job! He was one of my hero's.. Youre up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming