Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
I'd get in trouble if I guessed I - 80, wouldn't I?
IMHO you have a good point, regarding significance. However, it probably did not meet this criteria, "Between 1840 and 1860 an estimated 300,000 settlers traveled through the gap, their wagon wheels leaving deep ruts in the earth."

But since the time I - 80 was built, it has probably exceeded that number of travelers, but is lacking in the "deep ruts" category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
You got it right, CptnRn. Your turn.

Rescue3, that would be a very good guess except for the dates. I-80 wasn't quite finished yet by 1860.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Next Question (Fill in the Blanks):

By 1898, ___________ ____ was working as a wolfer on the Tisdale Ranch in Johnson County. In one year, working for Tisdale, he killed 98 wolves and 500 coyotes.

In addition to being a wolfer, what was his other business?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:34 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
I'm thinking that was "Rattlesnake Jack" McIntyre - who also was a not-terribly-successful snake showman in and around Sheridan county. His son Albert was credited with killing the notorious wolf known as "two toes."

Jack, who chose not to bathe throughout life, died of his own hand while in the throes of "the cramps."

Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
I'm thinking that was "Rattlesnake Jack" McIntyre - who also was a not-terribly-successful snake showman in and around Sheridan county. His son Albert was credited with killing the notorious wolf known as "two toes."

Jack, who chose not to bathe throughout life, died of his own hand while in the throes of "the cramps."
That is correct. Your turn.

Quote:
Wolfers -- Wyoming Tales and Trails

Rattlesnake Jack Wyoming Wolfer

Wolves used to follow the great herds of bison that inhabited the plains. With the replacement of the bison with cattle, ranchmen discovered their herds being ravaged by the gray wolf. Thus, trappers, known as "wolfers," would be employed by ranchmen to eliminate wolves who would attack calves and sheep. Additionally, wolf skin collars were popular. Bounties for wolves and coyotes were offered by the states. Montana, as an example, in 1895 offered a $3.00 bounty for wolves and coyotes. In a six-month period some 3,000 wolves and 12,000 coyotes were killed. A good wolfer could earn as much $3,000.00 a year. Indians, however, detested wolfers. Wolves were frequently killed with poisoned bait. The Indian dogs would sometimes eat the bait.

In Sheridan County, a wolfer of note was S. A. "Rattlesnake Jack" McIntyre, who hunted in the Bighorns and from Ucross north to Montana in the late 1880's and early 1890's. In 1895, Rattlesnake Jack moved to northern Nebraska. Jack, who also for a time, ran a traveling snake show, moved to Buffalo after Nebraska authorities took his daughter Martha away from him as a result of his allowing her to play with his pet rattlesnakes. The authorities also attempted to take away his son Albert on the charges against the boy of "vagrancy and mendicancy." A mendicant is a beggar. Jack was allowed to keep custody of Albert only on the promise that he would not longer allow the boy to play with the snakes. Rattlesnake Jack often carried the snakes with him under his shirt. In Gillette, he created a stir when he released the snakes in a local saloon.

Rattlesnake Jack McIntyre was not immune from being bitten by rattlesnakes. The Omaha Bee, July 26, 1896, reported that Jack, a "repulsive character," had been bitten. According to the account, the United States marshal reported that the "snake is in a bad way." Another paper referred to him as "a dirty, loathsome, opium fiend."

The reason that he might have been regarded as loathsome or repulsive was that he did not believe in soap. He regarded it as being easily smelled by the wolves. Addtionally, the aroma of his bait tended to impart itself to all of his personal effects including his clothing. The result was that ranchmen wishing to employ his services, would do the negotiation outside where, hopefully, fresh winds would dissippate the aroma.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 PM

It's been a really busy day - you know, debt ceiling and all. Let me come back on Saturday and give a new question.

Thanks for understanding. R-3

Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Okay - here's a good one.

Twice every year, world economists get together. Every winter they meet in Stavos, Switzerland and every summer they meet in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Who hosts the Jackson Hole session?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:35 AM

Edit: Davos, Switzerland not Stavos, and

Hint: It is not a US government agency

Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM

The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City sponsors and organizes an annual Fed retreat in Jackson Hole, Wyo.

I guess one can say it is not a US Government agency, however it is not completely independent from the U.S. Government.

Quote:
Federal Reserve System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to the Board of Governors, the Federal Reserve is independent within government in that "its decisions do not have to be ratified by the President or anyone else in the executive or legislative branch of government." However, its authority is derived from the U.S. Congress and is subject to congressional oversight. Additionally, the members of the Board of Governors, including its chairman and vice-chairman, are chosen by the President and confirmed by Congress. The government also exercises some control over the Federal Reserve by appointing and setting the salaries of the system's highest-level employees. Thus the Federal Reserve has both private and public aspects.[12][13][14][15] The U.S. Government receives all of the system's annual profits, after a statutory dividend of 6% on member banks' capital investment is paid, and an account surplus is maintained. In 2010, the Federal Reserve made a profit of $82 billion and transferred $79 billion to the U.S. Treasury.[16]

Old 08-02-2011, 01:51 PM

You are absolutely correct. Blew my mind - now I know why the KC Fed has such influence in Washington.

The FOMC is a real hybrid agency - almost a Title 5 US corporation (like FDIC and Amtrak) but not really. Believe it or not, Fed employees are not considered US government employees.

(The rumor today is the next Jackson Hole symposium, to be held later this month, is where Fed Chairman Ben Bernenke will allude to a third round of quantitative easing.)

Your turn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming