Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,955,023 times

Advertisements

In the past, if nobody has gotten the answer in a couple days, a hint is posted. This question has been up for a while and has gotten people frustrated.

The idea of the trivia thread was to get people involved in the State of Wyoming and the history of it. This question falls in that, but stumped is stumped. And no, you are not going to cause this thread to dry up and fade away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 AM

322 posts, read 585,528 times
Rescue 3 gives the answer that was printed in the local newspapers at the time of the event.

I never considered it but apparently there is disagreement about just when the Revolutionary War took place.

My ancestor was granted a Revolutionary War pension for having served in the War of 1812 and that is the basis by which females in my family qualify to be members of the DAR.

Your turn.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 AM

Side note - Typical of Wyoming folks having spent long winters, they tend to use up every available minute of summer they can utilize. Kind of like a starving man getting creative with the last few crumbs in the cupboard, a Wyomingite will create thinks to occupy every waking minute of warmth and sunshine they can, and then come in the house and spend time before bed, figuring out how to ***** the next day about all the hours they are putting in.

Since this thread was created, I have noticed that the participation on hot summer days is significantly less than during periods of sub zero temps. I don't understand. haha

It may slow down during the summer, but it won't quit.

We return now to our regularly scheduled Trivia thread.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,694,455 times
Dang, EH- I wanted you to tell us about the USS Constitution! Didn't you serve aboard her?

There was a very famous sea battle in which the USS Constitution rendered the British vessel HMS Guerriere unable to sail during the War of 1812. The Americans rescued the surviving British sailors and then set the crippled ship afire and adrift. It sank, not the Constitution.

That the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 were ever considered the same war is a new one on me. But then I was educated in public schools back east...

Anyway, that was a toughie. Here's an easy one: Last weekend was Longmire Weekend here in Sheridan. Let's do one about that.

(For visitors): In Wyoming, vehicles' license plates have a number followed by a cowboy on a bucking horse, which is then followed by differing numbers or letters. That first number before the horse (his name is "Steamboat") corresponds with the county in which the vehicle is registered. Cheyenne is in Laramie County, and their license plates all start with the number 2. (Ironically, the city of Laramie is in Albany County, so their tags start with a 5. Go figure.)

(For everybody): Sheriff Longmire is the Sheriff of Absaroka County, a fictional county supposedly located in the northern Big Horn mountain region. What county number do they use for license tags issued in Absaroka County?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 PM

322 posts, read 585,528 times
I had never considered the question of The Revolutionary War extending through the War of 1812, although it was the same foe. But this is from my family history.

It was my maternal 3GR-Grandfather [b. 1795] who enlisted in 1814 and served as a private in the Massachusetts Militia under Captain Uriah Ripley and later Captain Stephen Blake. It wasn’t until 1878 that he petitioned for and was granted a pension for this service of $8.00 a month, which he collected until his death in 1884.

Many years ago one of my aunts used this petition as the basis for being accepted into the Daughters of the American Revolution [DAR].

About 7 years ago I used this same petition as one of the sources which allowed me to trace my mother’s family to Francis Cooke, who came over on the Mayflower.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM

Little tiny hint:

Longmire is an A&E television series. It is based on a series of novels written by Craig Johnson, who lives in Ucross,WY.

Bigger hint may appear on Monday...

Old 09-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Great bigger hint:

There are 23 REAL counties in Wyoming...

Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 PM

County 24 is their license plates. Wyoming used to have a County 24 and a county 25. But Wyoming didn't require license plates until 1913, and I think the other two counties were absorbed by 2 other counties before that. Can't remember for sure.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Yep! Absaroka County's tag begin with 24.

You're up, Elk Hunter.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Yep! Absaroka County's tag begin with 24.

You're up, Elk Hunter.
Thanks, I have a geographical problem. Where are the following, Wyoming Counties located?

Carter County

Hanover County

Pease County?

And were they part of the original Thirteen Counties when Wyoming was admitted to the Union?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming