Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM

52 posts, read 163,650 times

Advertisements

Alright here is an easy one. How did Independence Rock get its name? (Its 20 mi from Muddy Gap on Highway 220)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 07:21 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baadsheep View Post
Alright here is an easy one. How did Independence Rock get its name? (Its 20 mi from Muddy Gap on Highway 220)
Isn't it from a group of travelers who camped there on July 4? I know many trappers and frontier people traveled through and camped at Independence Rock, but I think the name ties to the holiday.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 PM

52 posts, read 163,650 times
Wyolady, You are close enough to be right. What I have read is that Independence rock got its name for the reason that travelers wanted to be at Independence rock on the 4th of July so they could get to their destinations before the snow gets too deep in the mountain passes. Your turn Wyolady.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 AM

'kay....this is probably easy too.

The Continental Divide runs directly through Wyoming. In the Red Desert in the southern portion of the state, where does water run/drain - down the east or west side of the Continental Divide?

Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
There is a portion of the Wyoming Red Desert that doesn't drain to either side. The continental divide splits and the area inside of that split drains to the middle. Doesn't amount to much since it gets so little rain. I noticed this years ago when I was studying maps of the area.

This is known as the Great Divide Basin. It is 3,959 square miles in area and has an average elevation over 6,000 feet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Divide_Basin

I can't find a good map of it on the internet, but it is shown on my old road atlas of the US.

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range...ide-Basin.html

Quote:
Between North Oregon Butte (in the vicinity of South Pass) and Bridger Pass (near Rawlins) in Wyoming, the Continental Divide does a strange thing—it splits and forms a ring around a vast desert-like area called the Great Divide Basin. In fact, it is considered a cold desert (like the Great Basin), and it is one of the largest such tracts in North America remaining essentially undeveloped. At over 7000’ in elevation throughout much of it, the region sees winters that are cold and long but summers that are hot and dry. A day here without almost-constant wind is like a summer day in the South bereft of stifling humidity—not likely.

From within the Great Divide Basin, there is no outlet to either the Atlantic or the Pacific Ocean; water that flows here, and even that is rare and brief, evaporates or gets swallowed up by the thirsty earth. When streams do run, the water is alkaline—this is no place into which one should venture without a good supply of water.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-19-2009 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 02:14 PM

Very good CptnRn. I think this geographical fact about Wyoming is quite interesting. Very astute, CptnRn - okay, your turn.....stump us good.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:41 PM

I think it is very interesting also, one of the things that make Wyoming unique.

Ok I'm trying to not make this too easy to search for on the internet, but anyone who has seen it may recognize it.

At the time it was built, it was the highest bridge of its kind in the World. Near by is another historical place, commemorating someone who committed one of the biggest financial frauds in the 1800's. What is the name of this historic place?

Old 09-19-2009, 03:44 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think it is very interesting also, one of the things that make Wyoming unique.

Ok I'm trying to not make this too easy to search for on the internet, but anyone who has seen it may recognize it.

At the time it was built, it was the highest bridge of its kind in the World. Near by is another historical place, commemorating someone who committed one of the biggest financial frauds in the 1800's. What is the name of this historic place?
I'm going to guess that the historical place you are looking for is Ames Monument, and the bridge is the Dale Creek Trestle Bridge.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM

You got it wyoquilter, it's your turn.

Ames Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I few extra comments that I thought were interesting. The monument was designed by one of the best architects of that era, H.H. Richardson. It is 60' square at the base and 60' tall, possibly making it the largest pyramid in the US.

Quote:
The audacity of building a transcontinental railroad in the 1840s was "today's equivalent of the mission to Mars: Big, expensive and impossible," according to University of Wyoming historian Phil Roberts. President Abraham Lincoln reportedly told Oakes Ames that if he could get the transcontinental railroad built then he would be "the most remembered man of the century."[2] Lincoln personally recruited Oakes after progress by and financial support for Credit Mobilier of America, the construction company charged with building the railroad, ground to a halt.[4] The Ames brothers succeeded where others failed and completed the transcontinental railway. However, in 1873 charges of financial fraud were leveled at Oakes, tarnishing his and the Union Pacific Railroad Company's reputation.
The monument was built by Union Pacific Railroad, partially as an effort to recover some fame lost by the financial scandal. It now sits out in the middle of nowhere because the railroad was moved twice since its original construction. And nothing remains of Sherman where it was built other then a few foundations nearby.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:43 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You got it wyoquilter, it's your turn.

Ames Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I few extra comments that I thought were interesting. The monument was designed by one of the best architects of that era, H.H. Richardson. It is 60' square at the base and 60' tall, possibly making it the largest pyramid in the US.

The monument was built by Union Pacific Railroad, partially as an effort to recover some fame lost by the financial scandal. It now sits out in the middle of nowhere because the railroad was moved twice since its original construction. And nothing remains of Sherman where it was built other then a few foundations nearby.
Wow, I got it right. I was taking a guess here. I had the bridge narrowed down to the Sunlight Creek Bridge and the Dale Creek Trestle Bridge. The "of it's kind" part of your question made me try for the Dale Creek bridge first. After searching for info. on the Dale Creek Bridge I saw that Ames Monument was nearby, so I took a shot with that.

Okay, This one may be a bit easy:

A monument of sorts (actaully I believe it's more of a plaque) near Battle Lake commemorates what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming