U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,520 times

Advertisements

i would love to move to the area around rock river.any imformation on a small lot close to town would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 PM

11,304 posts, read 46,344,761 times
I don't believe that you'll find a "small lot close to town" near or around Rock River.

This is an area of large ranching properties ... some of which have been subdivided in recent years, but not "close to town", and not into "small lots", but acreages (usually 35 or more acres).

Old 07-12-2009, 04:40 PM

thanks for the imformation.what about other small towns...medicine bow,anderson...surely, there is something out there. where would you look to find out ? i've looked at the real estate sites and found nothing.any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 PM

3,082 posts, read 3,894,751 times
Well you can go to medicinebow.org,click on relocation,then housing.There is stuff in the general area listed from time to time.What appeals to you about rockriver?There really isnt much there and generally in that area of wyoming,once you get 'out of town' a 'small lot' is going to be 30 something + acres.If you aren't 'in town' water and power can be a real issue too in many areas.goodluck

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM

The only real estate companies I've seen that handle listings in the area are either:

1) outfits that are "developers", subdividers of the larger ranch lands, or

2) a few smaller real estate companies that you'll find in Wheatland, Laramie, or Rawlins. Generally not on multi-list, these are typically in-house listings that you'll find out about by contacting the agency directly, and a lot of times ... only the listing agent. Don't expect a professional full service level of performance from these folks like you may be used to in larger markets. For the most part, when I've dealt with these people, they've all been very indifferent to making a sale or being of real assistance. It's like ... if you want the property, there it is, here's the price ... what you see is what you get, and no, they don't know much about it, the taxes, the water, the climate, the soils, the access in the winter months, or any other detail about the place. It's strictly a piece of merchandise to them ... give them a signature on the contract and a check, or go away. They don't seem to care much ... it's all only "found money" if they make a sale. I've looked at 1/2 million dollar properties in the area and the listing agent couldn't even be bothered to ask my name and contact information ... nor did they care to follow up with me. I've looked at some properties and the agent wouldn't even show me the place past the ranch gate entrance ... I had to walk in myself and look around while they waited in their car. Then when I came back out, they point blank asked me if I was ready to give them a check for the place ... quite the "presumptive close" sales tactic, without any interest if I had any questions or needed to know anything else about the place.

Perhaps you'll find a more professional agent in the area than I have, but properties in the area don't come up for sale very frequently. You almost have to drive by places and see "for sale" signs up to know they're for sale.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:40 PM

thank you very much for your help. we've been to rock river many times to hunt and fish. we would just like to have a place to stay in during the summer months.maybe pull the trailer up there and stay in it.nothing fancy.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Well, there you go, okiefisher ... if you're out that way by RockRiver so much ... then keep your eyes open for the "for sale" signs around the area. That's going to be the best way to find something that appeals to you in the area.

Unless you're planning on hauling water in with your trailer for your summer stay, and gray/blackwater back out ... you might want to be sure that domestic water is available on the property and that you've got a septic system there, too.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 AM

Craigslist, 7-11-09 ... don't know if this would fit your needs, but there's a 70 acre parcel 26 miles East of RockRiver by Wheatland Res #2 listed by owner at $58,000. They claim that power is running on one side and that there's good wells in the area. Also borders state land.

Similarly, there are a couple of 35 acre parcels by either the Wheatland #2 or #3 on the market right now, priced in the low $1,000/acre range. But you'll want to check out the power/utilities/water situation for them. One lists power as being 5 miles away, which could be prohibitively expensive to bring in for your limited time use.

Keep in mind that you're looking at featureless flat prairie at 7,000' elevation, and these sites are very exposed to all the winds and storms of the area. Water wells typically go in the hundreds of feet to hit potable water. There are no trees and almost no vegetation on these typical sites.

FWIW, there's a small house in town by the city park listed now for $78,000. For a few dollars more than a bare site way out of town, you could have a modest 3bd/1ba house with utilities and a low cost of annual taxes and maintenance ... and room to park your trailer there, too.

Wheatland real estate agencies have the listings ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-16-2009 at 01:35 AM..

Old 07-19-2009, 03:36 PM

WONDERFUL information on this site. thank you very much. i will be checking these things out. I just want to get away from the rat race. if i go to town once a month, that would be perfect. i don't care to mingle with the crowds,or keep up with the Jones's.I just want to make myself happy.selfish, maybe, but who cares.thank you, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming