U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 12,757 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've been reading the city data forum for a couple months now and appreciate the honest and helpful answers on the site. I'm in the process of relocating to Rock Springs and would very much like to hear what the community is like.

I'll be working for a nonprofit and, after having spent all my life on the East Coast, am excited about the chance to live in a part of the country that's new to me. I'm "outdoorsy" (love hiking, camping, kayaking, horses...even done some fishing) and don't mind bugs or dirt and can't wait to explore some of the great national parks in the region.

I'm coming from a major city and while I don't expect all the "big city" amenities (in fact, that is part of the appeal) and I don't intend to step on anyone's toes, I do wonder if I might stick out like a sore thumb. I'm late twentysomething with a master's degree, single, never married. Will everyone else in my demographic be married with 2.3 kids?

Any advice on the area, tips on what to expect, and stuff to do/avoid would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,746,545 times
You should be just fine as long as you don't "make yourself stick out like a sore thumb"! If you dress and act like the locals and don't have to have the typical "city girl" high heels and other "fancy" apparel then you won't stick out. If you don't want to change the place you'll also do well. My bro and his wife are also just now moving to R.S. Although from another Wyo town, they think it will be a good place to live although the opinion of a lot of people differ. There are probably more single guys than gals in R.S. due to the employment that's there. Could be good for you! That's if you find a good one! There was also a gal on here (can't remember her name) who is moving to R.S. to teach there. She is also a young single with some of the same concerns you have. So you definitely won't be alone. Get involved in some community things, meet people, make friends, and you'll probably do very well! Best wishes to you!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM

Thank you for the reply! This is all really good stuff to know. I'm definitely planning on just settling in and acclimating. I hardly ever wear heels in the city so maybe I'll just plan on leaving 'em behind altogether. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 PM

18,696 posts, read 37,979,346 times
Wait!!! I like heals. Course, it's gotta be the right place, the right time.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,746,545 times
ElkHunter is correct....there is a time and place for heels, but they are few & far between! I don't own any myself and have never had the occasion come up that I wish I had them...and I'm a professional woman! I just keep thinking of that new movie "The Proposal" where Sandra Bullock has on her fancy skirt suit and heels and has to trudge through a rural setting in them! Not good!!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 AM

139 posts, read 434,262 times
The first few days just take everything in. Breathe deep, let it out and smile. Life slows down and you'll discard that east coast state of mind like it's nothing. If you're like almost all of my friends from back east you'll fall in love with Wyoming.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I've heard a lot of mixed things about RS (on this forum and elsewhere) so it's really great to hear back on what the community there is like and that there's hope for an East Coaster to integrate!

I'd heard about a Rock Springs restaurant called the Rodeo Grill that serves a "stampede of meat." Is this worth going to? The name alone suggests a definite yes to me!

Also, are there any places to ride in the vicinity? I don't own a horse but I grew up riding occasionally and I love it. I don't need a full-on dude ranch and I don't think trail rides are all that fun because it's usually just walking horses in a line, which is a little boring for me. Any places that have private rides or horses to rent? Heck, I would even muck stalls in exchange for being able to borrow a horse for a canter.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 AM

6 posts, read 22,774 times
You will thank your heavenly stars that Salt Lake City, UT is within driving distance. Rock Springs is a great place to live, but if you are coming from the big city like I did, then you will want some "big city" things every once in a while such as nice restaurants, shopping, and community festivals and such. Don't get me wrong, Rock Springs has many things going on, but its just on a smaller level....one that I have not quite been able to adjust to. Rodeo Grill is a nice restaurant, but like I said before, its on a smaller level. When you do move here, I want you to go dine at the Rodeo Grill in Rock Springs and then I want you to go to Salt Lake City sometime and dine at Tuscano's located inside the outdoor enclosed Gateway Mall in Downtown SLC. You will then understand what I am talking about. Oh, and Tuscano's is less expensive than Rodeo Grill. Also, If you like Sushi like I do, then you will enjoy the sushi places that Rock Springs has to offer. Welcome to Rock Springs, City Girl!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 AM

11,282 posts, read 46,201,163 times
If you like sushi like I do, then you'll not like the sushi places that Rock Springs has to offer ... then you'll appreciate SLC that much more for your "fix". All the more reason to look forward to those trips to SLC ... or to the coastal cities from time to time.

Rock Springs simply isn't too close to the source of supply when it comes to "fresh" ... nor, IMO, is it a place of "good food" for the most part. I've been disappointed more often than not when stopping there and staying over when weathered in .... and I wouldn't call the pricing very reasonable for what was provided.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:55 AM

596 posts, read 1,364,802 times
So Citygirl, did you make it to Rock Springs......what is your opinion now that you have lived there a while?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming