Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
I am wondering if somone with a more pro-environment more progressive liberal view would be welcome in Wyoming ???
I think that how you're accepted will be based largely on how you define the terms you used in your question.

If by "pro-environment" you mean that the land should be locked up (e.g. designated as wilderness) by "the government," and that they should not permit any use of it, as has been the position of the Sierra Club in many instances, then I doubt your view will be seen favorably. On the other hand, if you espouse the view of sensible management of our environment, while permitting reasonable use, as has taken place in Wyoming for centuries, then your point of view will probably be seen favorably.

If your "progressive liberal" viewpoint involves having "the government" run every aspect of our lives, like it has in places like California, then, again, I doubt your point of view will be widely accepted. If, on the other hand, your viewpoint is that "the government" not be overbearing in people's lives (i.e. libertarian), then your viewpoint will probably be accepted.

It has been mentioned on this forum many times that people in Wyoming want things to stay as they are. When someone comes from somewhere else and says "you should do so and so... like we did where I came from," then they become viewed dimly for taking the position of changing Wyoming into what they left behind.

Quote:
I generally accept all people and am open to different viewpoints, I am just hoping that others in Wyoming and other places I visit would feel the same way.
If you are open to different viewpoints, then just realize that your views will not be the same as most of the folks you run into (unless your meanings of those terms above are different than what I suspect they are). It is fine to have a differing opinion, as long as you don't try to tell those you disagree with that they are wrong, or that they should do things differently.

Quote:
Just because we might not see eye to eye on all the issues doesn't mean we can't have a friendly discussion on them right? and it doesn't mean a right wing conservative republican can't be friends with a progressive liberal democrat. Am I right or wrong on this issue in Wyoming?
If you're truly that concerned with it, why mention your viewpoint at all? Why not just discuss the weather and things like that, and leave your viewpoints out of the discussion? If you think stating your viewpoints will be controversial, then I'd say "don't do it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM

12 posts, read 22,088 times
sunsprit; I read your response to pro-enviro and was thrilled to see that i am not alone. My wife read it first and would have sworn that i wrote it.We live in Maine and farm here. We visited your great state 2yrs ago and have wanted to move there ever since. My family landed at Plymouth rock in 1620 then migrated to Me. in 1623. We have farmed in this state ever since, but sad to say it appears to be coming to an end.Our children are adults and on the farm with us,we have been overrun in this state by pro-enviros who believe that agriculture has no place here. As i write this our farm and 2 others are under attack in an attempt to put us out of bus. One farm has decided to shut down its operation already they raised 150 calves on 626 ares. My farm is 10 miles from the ocean the 2nd farm is 3.5 miles and 1 an ocean farm. We have all been accused of polluting the ocean. I forgot to mention that my farm is organically certified. We have been looking at land in Wyoming and are making plans to move where there are more like-minded people,as a matter of fact i have applied for a caretakers position on a beef operation so that we can make the move until we decide which part of the state to settle in. I hope that you remain stead fast in your arguement against the progressive, pro-enviro so that what is happening in Me. does not happen in Wyoming.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:58 AM

47 posts, read 116,146 times
Blueheeler7 & Sunsprit: what you're addressing appears to be the common attitude of many "liberals", that they "know better", and so much so, that they have absolutely no qualms about imposing their book-learned ideals on real people who actually live and produce.

DreamsworksSKG posted a similar question a while back. Why they keep posting the same question is anyone's guess. Sounds like they're trying to figure out the Wyoming psyche. And I always wonder about "liberals" who do that - what's their real intention?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk In Beauty View Post
Blueheeler7 & Sunsprit: what you're addressing appears to be the common attitude of many "liberals", that they "know better", and so much so, that they have absolutely no qualms about imposing their book-learned ideals on real people who actually live and produce.

DreamsworksSKG posted a similar question a while back. Why they keep posting the same question is anyone's guess. Sounds like they're trying to figure out the Wyoming psyche. And I always wonder about "liberals" who do that - what's their real intention?
Well, it's certainly not to fit in with others. I glossed over that thread, too.

If you've kept up with current trends, "progressive" is the new-age word for commie.

Inferring that a conservative is anti-environment is idiotic at best.

How many nature hikes do Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid go on daily/weekly/yearly?

The true "liberal" that "may not agree with you, but defends your right to ____" is going by the wayside it seems.

^^^That is not the OP's intent anyway.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Why dont you move to California? You'd feel at home there.
I am not joking; nor am I being sarcastic.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:31 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
I'm accepting to all people
while I disagree with conservative and libertarian viewpoints. I try to befriend and get to know a variety of people. Here in Mass. I have friends who are liberal conservative, libertarian, straight, gay, etc.
I am usually easy to get along with. The problem is people don't always accept me because of my views on things-
I am not a hard left liberal , but I am more in the middle I just believe more ont he issues on the left side than the right. Most of the time. Though I am starting to be annoyed with Obama . - I would have rather had Hillary as our president.
And to the person who is annoyed with me posting this a second time.
Excuse me! I maybe Forgot about that (since it was a year ago)

Old 08-24-2009, 05:32 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Cool Attractions not to miss in Wyoming?q

That said, politics aside, what attractions in Wyoming are not to miss?

would it be better to start in Yellowstone National Park area and work my way down from there to Denver? Or start in Denver and work my way up to Yellowstone? through Wyoming ? I'd also like to visit Durango Co.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
I'm accepting to all people
while I disagree with conservative and libertarian viewpoints. I try to befriend and get to know a variety of people. Here in Mass. I have friends who are liberal conservative, libertarian, straight, gay, etc.
I am usually easy to get along with. The problem is people don't always accept me because of my views on things-
I am not a hard left liberal , but I am more in the middle I just believe more ont he issues on the left side than the right. Most of the time. Though I am starting to be annoyed with Obama . - I would have rather had Hillary as our president.
And to the person who is annoyed with me posting this a second time.
Excuse me! I maybe Forgot about that (since it was a year ago)
I'm pleased that you're annoyed with me. I've never tried to cultivate the friendship of trolls.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 08-24-2009 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
That said, politics aside, what attractions in Wyoming are not to miss?

would it be better to start in Yellowstone National Park area and work my way down from there to Denver? Or start in Denver and work my way up to Yellowstone? through Wyoming ? I'd also like to visit Durango Co.
How would you get to Yellowstone to "start"? Are you flying in? Driving? Camping?

A large percentage of vacationers to Wyoming visit the South Dakota Black Hills (just over the NE border) and travel across northern Wyoming to Yellowstone.

If flying in and renting a car, start at Denver and head north to Rapid City, SD and the Black Hills. The Hills have lots of things to see, including, of course, Mt. Rushmore. Leaving the Hills visit Devils Tower in the northern Hills on the Wyoming side, then cross the Bighorn Mountains on your way to Yellowstone's east entrance. After seeing Yellowstone, leave via the south gate and visit Jackson Hole and Teton National Park before heading back east across the Absaroka Mountains toward Dubois and Riverton. From there head southward to Rawlins or eastward to Casper and back towards Denver.

If I knew what your interests were, I could be a little more specific as to what you should try to see in Wyoming, but this would give you a start.

As to politics, my wife has a rule about discussing politics and religion. She doesn't. The majority of Wyomingites are conservatives, but they don't hunt vacationers down and ask them their political leanings. If you run into any problems due to political or religious beliefs while vacationing in Wyoming, it'll be because you tried to push those beliefs onto the wrong person. For the most part, we appreciate tourists and treat them as guests, but we expect guests to be courteous too.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
... After seeing Yellowstone, leave via the south gate and visit Jackson Hole and Teton National Park before heading back east across the Absaroka Mountains toward Dubois and Riverton. From there head southward to Rawlins or eastward to Casper and back towards Denver.
In re-reading your last post and my response above, it occurred to me that I forgot about your wish to visit Durango, CO. With that in mind, I'd suggest heading to Dubois (pronounced Due-boys) as I stated above, then continue to Riverton and then Lander or skip Riverton and take Hwy 287 through Lander all the way to Rawlins. (The Lander area is beautiful with lots for tourists to see and enjoy.)

From Rawlins head west on I-80 for 20 miles or so and exit south on Hwy 789 through Baggs, WY. I believe the highway designation changes to Hwy 13 at the Colorado border, but it continues on to Rifle, CO where you can pick up I-70 west to Grand Junction, then probably Hwy 50 to Delta and Hwy 550 to Durango. (Note: I've never been on Hwys 50 or 550, so you might want to check with someone who has.) To get back to Denver from Durango, just take Hwy 160 to Walsenburg where you can pickup I-25 north, or backtrack to Grand Junction and take I-70 over the pass to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming